Gas Tunnel popularity is increasing!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the Herb Stewart race I burned up every last piece of electrical equipment in my boat so I'm starting from scratch so trying to decide if I feel like spending the 500 on a new mega servo or going a different route. I've been hearing of a lot of guys running the (2) 805's and it has me thinking that the megaservo's are complete overkill.

I'm going to put my insane back together and borrow a buddies -2 megaservo since mine was only a -1 and see if it alleviates my spinning out problem, if it doesn't, then a re-work on the bottom of the hull will be in order and I'll go back to the (2) 805's everyone recommends.

thanks for the info guys.

Matt,

I am not familiar with the driving characteristics of that hull but if the bottom design is correct, two 805's will turn yours as well. Now you know another way to start your boat as well in the pits if you ever break another pull start cable, right???..... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ron, I'm close to being complete with the paint job on the Tunnel and next is the drive unit. The WTC will not be the same anymore now that I'm in the game!!! :D

Ron,

John had said the same thing to me and I looked at him like he had three heads. That's definitely good to know especially since everyone that runs gas knows they'll break a pull rope at the starting line sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the help at the race, it was much appreciated, just wasn't our weekend unfortunately. We'll be back next year for sure!

Hey Ron, I'm close to being complete with the paint job on the Tunnel and next is the drive unit. The WTC will not be the same anymore now that I'm in the game!!! :D
I agree Randy!!!... :D Now you can duke it out with us on the water instead of simply watching from the CD tower!!! Can't wait.... :)

Ron,

John had said the same thing to me and I looked at him like he had three heads. That's definitely good to know especially since everyone that runs gas knows they'll break a pull rope at the starting line sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the help at the race, it was much appreciated, just wasn't our weekend unfortunately. We'll be back next year for sure!
Ron,

Ron,

LOL. Yes, when you travel that far to a race, do everything possible to get your stuff in the water, within reason. No one likes to be stuck on the starting table when your heat is running. Practice at your pond and know how to hold the starter firmly and squarely against the prop. I always turn the cone insert around with the small hole pointing out. That way the shaft and prop nut fits more securely in the rubber and allows ample rubber surface to contact the prop as well for starting. I was happy to help make sure you guys made that heat!!!!!!!!!..... :)

Greg,

John Otto drove Matt's gas tunnel at the Fall Nats a few weeks ago. I was in a different heat the second round, so I just happened to be watching when whoever was trying to start Matt's boat broke the pull starter. I ran over and grabbed the boat, we went to someone elses starting table, I grabbed their starter, flipped the rubber cone as mentioned above, placed it against the prop, and started his boat so he could make the heat. I did say, "Don't try this at home"....LOL Matt had the biggest grin on his face..... ;)

pic of my old Insane tunnel !! I sold it the drive did not work out for me. thanks for looking Bruce

Gas Tunnel popularity is really picking up. We had 8 entries in the Fall Nats a few weeks ago. I expect we will see at least 8-10 entries in the 2014 WTC in Charleston. John Otto entered the class as well. Here is a pic of first lap action of James Beasley (yellow/black) and myself (wood and white) in a runoff for first place. Other manufacturers are joining in producing boats for this class as well. 2014 should be a big Gas Tunnel year!!!

7fa38f2b0e91a2a777a50158116877f5_zps9bd83ccf.jpg
I still build my hulls, Beasley is using my cowl limited availablility in epoxy glass.

001.JPG

Ron do you remember this boat? Paint is done and now it's on the new lower unit design. This should be fun.

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Randy,

That looks awesome!!!! Not totally sure on the boat. Looks like one that Beasley used to run. Great paint job. What lower you going to use?

That's the one that Mitch Atwell hooked me up with. As for the lower unit, Mitch is sending me one to build from with some modifications that he wants.

Great. Let us know how your new project goes. Good luck Randy. Look forward to seeing it run.

Latest posts

Back