Gas Tunnel popularity is increasing!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
Gas Tunnel popularity is really picking up. We had 8 entries in the Fall Nats a few weeks ago. I expect we will see at least 8-10 entries in the 2014 WTC in Charleston. John Otto entered the class as well. Here is a pic of first lap action of James Beasley (yellow/black) and myself (wood and white) in a runoff for first place. Other manufacturers are joining in producing boats for this class as well. 2014 should be a big Gas Tunnel year!!!

7fa38f2b0e91a2a777a50158116877f5_zps9bd83ccf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope so. I know myself and a few others were trying to get this class kicked off several years ago. I think the biggest drawback to this class is the shaft problems. Maybe if this was fixed by the manufacturer you would see this class grow. I'm running one of Joe's drives and I don't break shafts. I got my second tunnel staying on the water now and with a little more tweaking I'll have it running as fast as my first one did. Looking forward to the 2014 Tunnel Championships and hoping for a good turn of gas tunnels.

Wayne,

I saw you were at the Herb Stewart race this past weekend. I am glad to see you still have a high level of interest in the gas tunnels. Looking forward to seeing you at the WTC. I would like to work with NAMBA and with Kinsel for IMPBA to make this an official class. I have spent a lot of time redesigning the prop shaft assy and playing with 1/4" square and overall cable lengths, and "knock on wood", have not broken a flex cable in a year and a half during a heat race on my Lawless gas lower unit. Looks like Arrowshark is stepping up with a geared lower, so now there are at least 5 different gas lower units available. Hopefully the momentum will continue and we will see even more participation at the 2014 WTC. BTW, that gas sport hydro you built for Stan H is smoking fast!!!!..... :)

I know there are at least two more this year in D20. I will let you know how my Dragon Drive geared lower works out.

D

Wayne,

I saw you were at the Herb Stewart race this past weekend. I am glad to see you still have a high level of interest in the gas tunnels. Looking forward to seeing you at the WTC. I would like to work with NAMBA and with Kinsel for IMPBA to make this an official class. I have spent a lot of time redesigning the prop shaft assy and playing with 1/4" square and overall cable lengths, and "knock on wood", have not broken a flex cable in a year and a half during a heat race on my Lawless gas lower unit. Looks like Arrowshark is stepping up with a geared lower, so now there are at least 5 different gas lower units available. Hopefully the momentum will continue and we will see even more participation at the 2014 WTC. BTW, that gas sport hydro you built for Stan H is smoking fast!!!!..... :)
Ron...You might have the problem fixed. I'd like to know why LAWLESS hasn't fixed the problem. I modded my Lawless and made it work. There are a couple of easy ways to fix the problem but there would have to be some design changes. I've thought about making my own drive and I might still do it if I ever get the time.

Stan's hydro is haulin' the mail. Wish we could of made the Fall Nat's cuz mine ain't runnin' half bad either!!

I was at the World cup of gas boats this weekend and on Saturday only two gas tunnels , not very impressive . The Jersey speed skiffs are much better !

Wayne,

We had 3 at the race over weekend Ron and they have improved speed wise a ton- Once Wayne got a handle on his boat and the Tri-Oval, he had his strolling B)

I was at the World cup of gas boats this weekend and on Saturday only two gas tunnels , not very impressive . The Jersey speed skiffs are much better !
We are promoting the gas tunnel class just like the Jersey Skiff class has been promoted and gained popularity over the past few years. We are not trying to compare to other classes.

Wayne,

Ron...You might have the problem fixed. I'd like to know why LAWLESS hasn't fixed the problem. I modded my Lawless and made it work. There are a couple of easy ways to fix the problem but there would have to be some design changes. I've thought about making my own drive and I might still do it if I ever get the time.
Stan's hydro is haulin' the mail. Wish we could of made the Fall Nat's cuz mine ain't runnin' half bad either!!
Wayne,If yours is even faster than Stan's you two should rock that class. The issues I found were due to the integrity of the prop shaft assy, the quality of the shaft materials, the length of the square end of the shaft, the flex shaft lengths, and the actual length of the squared ends on the flex shaft. The bend in the Lawless starts almost immediately after the prop shaft assy stops. This was forcing a bend in or very near the squared end of the flex, thus causing failure. The overall length being too long, was causing the shaft to bind and fail in the middle. By replacing the shaft with stainless squared shafts I found on eBay, trimming the squared end of the prop shaft assy, and shortening the squared end of the flex, when it starts to turn upward toward the motor, there is no longer a binding in that squared area. It took taking the cable out after every run and watching for hot spots to fine tune this setup. Trimming the overall length to assure plenty of prop shaft end play, and adding a 1/4 thrust washer set and bearing, took the overall binding away completely. I now get my 1/4" shafts from Hyperperformance and tell him the length I want the squared ends, and the overall length I need. They are great flex cables and I recommend them to anyone running the Lawless gas lower.

I still check the flex cable after every heat, and start with a new cable every race, but once figured out, I am now accumulating several practice cables to use for testing!!!... :)

Wayne,

We had 3 at the race over weekend Ron and they have improved speed wise a ton- Once Wayne got a handle on his boat and the Tri-Oval, he had his strolling B)
Andy,

Yes, the speeds have really picked up. We are quickly approaching 60 and 65-70 is achievable!!!!... :) .

What kind of rpm's are you guys putting through your lowers? I am running the enigma lower and have had good results using just a tight budget stock rcmk. I have a mod 26 and hot pipe to bolt on so I am keen to see how it holds up with the added power. I have a gmorty lower but have been told the are better suited to the 23 size engines. I watched a friend break a cable every couple of tanks :(

You guys suckered me into this class and I must say it is fun but I'm not a fan of being in the lead, (yes that means in front of you Ron) :p only to have the cable snap. I am waiting on a sample drive to be sent to me so I can build my own and cure this issue. That way the next time you guys jump the start I don't have to worry about having a shaft issue that takes me out!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

You guys suckered me into this class and I must say it is fun but I'm not a fan of being in the lead, (yes that means in front of you Ron) :p only to have the cable snap. I am waiting on a sample drive to be sent to me so I can build my own and cure this issue. That way the next time you guys jump the start I don't have to worry about having a shaft issue that takes me out!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r:
Yay!!!! Randy is hooked!!... :) I think I would have run you down Randy but thats for another race!!!... :p Im glad you jumped on the opportunity and had so much fun. Thanks go out to Mitch for hooking you up. It is a great class and having you, Otto, Carol, and other newcomers enter this year made it ever better. I think there will be more at the WTC, including Shane and his team. Now, when are you going to get your other tunnels ready?????...... :D

You couldnt ask for a better group of guys and drivers to hang with for sure!!!... ;)

What "other" tunnels? :blink:

We will see where I go with this one. I'm in the rebuild stages now as far as paint and hull work but we will see. My biggest concern is the drive unit that I have to build. This is out of the norm for me but I'm sure I can figure it out. ;) Only bad thing about Mitch getting me into this class is everything I custom build for this tunnel I have to build one for him too!!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back