Gas Scale Info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input John - we appreciate it. I believe Phil built two MLB 8255 hulls - his and the U-55 Oberto. I haven't seen anything from Evansville, so guess they are still thrashing.

Structural weight instead of just lead has always worked for me. I have handled a lot of 1/8th scale boats over the years that the weight was no longer bonded where intended and was shifting around in the hull. THAT will complicate you day and give you all kinds of issues. I used a 1" speedy bore to remove lead from the sponson tips of my WOF Oberto after I moved the radio box forward and outboard of the engine before the 2010 NAMBA Nats.

***Note to self: If you lose control of the electric drill, the speedy bore tip will go right through top deck identifying your FUBAR to everyone until it's repainted - and it still isn't.***

Great numbers for 1/8th Scale, Sport 40 and Sport 20 - wish I were there. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some vids Sunday after we run those gas scales. Looks like 4 boats. I will get some vids maybe a sneak under the hoods to see the motor setup.

How about some vids Sunday after we run those gas scales. Looks like 4 boats. I will get some vids maybe a sneak under the hoods to see the motor setup.
Looks like 12 Gas Scales for the NAMBA Nats in Seattle.

We will try and get photos, weights and measurements of the boats and post for all...

Below are you-tube videos of two of my boats- I sold the Oly but she still runs in the local races

Every Pickle-fork Gas Scale I have built has ended up with about 16oz of weight in the front left sponson to counteract the torque from the engine..

Lots of Gas Scale Info at www.pnwta.org

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
How much can you lower the motor to help with installation. I guess you would have to look at the belly pan rule and see how low you can make it?
NAMBA Rule but I believe IMPBA is the same

Motor belly pan for motor and fly
wheel only. If
applicable, the
dimensions will not exceed five inches in width, nine inches in
length, and one inch in depth. The be
lly pan can not exceed the depth
of any riding surface or recovery
surface. If the real boat had a full
length belly pan, the model must conform

Miss Bud 1/6 scale hydro:

Here is one of mine which is 1/6 scale not 1.667 scale .It is my own glass hulls , I have 2 others the same size and I keep the engine as far forward as room will allow .I will weigh all three and let you know what the weights are.Im trying a new prop tomorrow on one of the others .the first prop I found that works is a 6717 3 blade and I've stuck with those .

All boats are around 56 inches long and run modified zenoahs.CG is about 2 1/2 inches behind back of sponsons.Hope this helps Scott

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it was a busy family week. Rick and I sheeted the sponson bottoms with 1/16" plywood and then used carbon fiber to add strength. I know I'll have to add weight to the tips so we reinforced the wing at the cowl front with carbon rod to stiffen The whole front end. In fact we lined our entire boats with it. When I was originally building the hull the front en was very whippy on the 171 so I blocked the inside of the sponsons with hardwood and glued a carbon rod from one side through the cowl over to the other sponson. Helped a lot. I'll post some pics as soon as I can get Rick to show me how. (I'm still in the stone age). I have kept a photo record of the build so far.

Take care, Dave.

Is that a 7/8 or 1" pipe in the photo ?
If you are asking about my videos ~ I now run small blocks and QD hot pipes with external stingers in all my boats.. My go to prop for every hull has been some form of Prop Works West CH 395 depending on elevation and temperature.......

Thanks Marty,

I sure that all would appreciate and benefit from as much info on the 12 Gas Scale coming for NAMBA Nats. Looks to be an outstanding opportunity to use this race for some Promotion of Gas Scale Class. These are the best numbers I have seen to date at any race. Outstanding !!!

Lohring,

Pics and narrative from you would benefit all interested also. CHEERS!!! Bob

Great video Mike!!! That one is going on the website soon. Seems like the guys in that area are really having fun in the gas scale class!

That's a great video. Nice to see the different setups and find out the boat weights. These are heavy beasts for sure. Love this class.

rick

Thanks Marty,

I sure that all would appreciate and benefit from as much info on the 12 Gas Scale coming for NAMBA Nats. Looks to be an outstanding opportunity to use this race for some Promotion of Gas Scale Class. These are the best numbers I have seen to date at any race. Outstanding !!!

Lohring,

Pics and narrative from you would benefit all interested also. CHEERS!!! Bob
See http://jrcbd.com/forum/showthread.php?212-Bill for the latest pictures and hardware data and the Propwash article Scaling Up.

Lohring Miller

Sold my house and in the process of packing up . Should be set back up by mid July ready for some more boat building. 25 yrs of stuff. Lots to get rid of but found lots that I did not know I had or could not find. LOL. I really like and appreciate where this thread is going. Sharing tips and setups will make this class the best. Hope to be able to get down to race with you boys sometime.

Rick

Thanks Lohring.

Here is Lohring's April 2013 Propwash article in a printable form. CHEERS !!! Bob

Lohring  Miller Scaling Up Propwash Article pg 1.jpeg

Page 2.jpeg.jpeg

Page 3.jpeg

Back