Future of SAW Time Trials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need more space? Anyone remember Silver Springs State Park in Yorkville, Illinois? Gary Pruesse would run his 40 hawk so far down in the right corner till you couldnt see the wake anymore, turn it around, and do 95MPH for a good 700 feet. I miss that pond like my high school girlfriend. Fox Valley Model Boaters was the club, the last few years we(Minute Breakers) helped out then FVMB perminantly dispand. In the mid 90's there was nobody faster than Gary, and he did it all with his 20 and 40 hydros. What was more amazing was with the exception of his front sponson change, those 90mph 20&40 boats and engines were the same ones he'd race every weekend. How many people can say that nowadays?

Anyways Yorkville Illinois is best SAW site Ive ever seen. With me on this Keeley? I know you were the the last few years, anyone else?

Larry

I was at the last couple. yep it sure was a blast to watch gary go through the traps!

our last event ever at the lake was a 2 day event. Saturday was a record trial, sunday was the race. sounded like a super cool idea to me..... but very few came on saturday.

Sure miss that lake :(

here is the video i took of gary years ago http://clubs.intlwaters.com/videos/nitroou...dhydro97mph.wmv

Last edited:
Andy....big ? you have been real fast at legg lake,were you able to slow down ok, and how fast do you think you could go at legg lake and slow down ok?...mostly im asking about from the right to the left....what do you think?
Scott,

I've had no trouble slowing after a R to L at Legg Lake. Turning around to set up for the L to R is a bit difficult because of the island. However, of the SAW lakes I have run at, Legg lake is the easiest.

Huntsville has the Ski Jump located dead center of the front straight about 300' past the exit bouy.

Franklin, Va. is very narrow with a knob jutting out into the back straight.

Valdosta, Ga. is not real long and is very narrow on the left end. You must skim the bank on both passes.

Don M.,

I think out side the box. My next goal is 150 mph. Do I need more room? No! My newest SAW boat is designed to go through the turns at 100+. Therefore I'll only need to accellerate and decellerate 50.

The timig guy better be quick on the switch!

With our availible lakes, SAW is truely more than a Top Speed event.

If we're looking for top speed only, lets just eliminate the boat altogether and just show up at the dyno room and Dyno race. :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don I am not lumping you in with Scott, but look at these two statements that you made in ONE POST. They directly contradict each other!

"A true record quality boat doesn't happen overnight, often taking a season or more to get it perfect. Why bother if the record is temporary? "

"Back to back passes give it credibility showing that a speed recorded was not a fluke or lucky pass."

Which is it? does it take "season after season" or can you just show up and make a "fluke lucky pass" and break a record?
Well if you want to read it that way but that's not what was meant. Yes it takes time to build, test & dial in a record quality boat. Anyone who has made any serious attempts at either ovals or SAW knows that. As for a fluke or lucky pass what was meant there was to give credit to all the people who make the effort to have a meticulously dialed in boat that can do those record speeds pass after pass as opposed to a "it only has to do it once" mentality. This past T/T @ Valdosta is a perfect example. Eric Betty's 21 stock tunnel was meticulously set up, his adjustments made by thousandths of an inch sometimes. But that boat was something special to watch as he made pass after pass in either direction oh so short of cracking that 60 mph mark he wanted so badly (they did get him on the radar gun @ 61). As I said in the Vadosta thread, a boat doesn't have to go over 100 to impress me & his boat was just plain fun to watch. A 60 mph STOCK 21 tunnel going like that run after run, THAT was cool to see. Sorry, I guess I should have elaborated more on that part. ;)

.......are SAWS just about the 100 mph plus riggers?
A great point that is being overlooked by all of us. Like I just mentioned, one of the highlights of the just past Valdosta event was watching a STOCK 21 tunnel knocking on the 60 mph door. Another was watching your FE O-2 sport hydro going over 58 or that FE O-2 hydro missile of Chris' that busted 72. Neat little (and I mean little) boats haulin' butt. :)

I'm with Don. I say leave the Course Length the way it is. It's all part of building and setting a Hull up that can turn and still get the SAW Speeds they are looking for. There are certain things that can be done in set ups to certain Hulls that would make them faster in the straights if they didn't have to be set up to turn for the R to L and the L to R in the amount of room that is available to them. It's all part of setting up a SAW Hull that can do both.

Betty's Tunnel was a sight to see in Huntsville and I made a special point of walking up to the Drivers Stand just to tell him how nice it looked and to congratulate him.

I have ran SAW Events in Huntsville, Flint and helped Pit in Valdosta. I prefer the Drivers Stand in Huntsville and I prefer the Lake at Flint, but no stand. The Valdosta Trip was a bad windy weekend, very undesirable water and I have never made the trip to Legg.

Scott, I think if someone wanted a Record bad enough they would travel where ever they had to. I have traveled further then that when I had to. Maybe the Club there could sponsor a SAW Event ? "If you build it they will come" ;)

What is the purpose of retiring SAW records? Or any other record for that matter. If my boat was a record holding boat I know the last thing that I would want is for it (the record) to be "retired".

For example: I don't care if a record was set in 1960 with a .45 hydro at 80 mph (or whatever mph). If in 2006 someone can't beat it should still stand until someone does.

My .05 cents worth.

David :ph34r:

What is the purpose of retiring SAW records? Or any other record for that matter. If my boat was a record holding boat I know the last thing that I would want is for it (the record) to be "retired".

For example: I don't care if a record was set in 1960 with a .45 hydro at 80 mph (or whatever mph). If in 2006 someone can't beat it should still stand until someone does.

My .05 cents worth.

David :ph34r:
:blink: :eek: I remember that I read Europe R/C boat book " first person lady( Russia)" got break record over 300kmph boat without radio just wire rope to center on the water at Europe area . She built hull and 10cc engine. Nobody beat her Thats fact!!! Who(boat Club) may know her in Europe.

Well, I think Ill go fishing now, got plenty of worms froms that can I opened when I started this thread.

Overwhelmingly, guys say LEAVE IT ALONE!! Good enough for me. Only time will tell if a change is neccessary.

Don :)

Just for the info. of those bashing the idea of retiring records, the IMPBA has done it many times before.

Don- thanks for posting a non emotional, constructive response. If everyone would do that, we could come up with some great ideas together.

Boaters,

I would like to send out an open invitation May 27th & 28th, and September 30th

& October 1st 2006 for a Record Trial at Thread Lake in Flint, Michigan.

You will have plenty of room to run up and down the chutes to set records. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

One thing that Don Maher said about our clocks being off center to the lake,maybe we need to shift our lights down some so we would have more room to slow down on the left side and it would give us more room to get up to speed going left to right.Most of the c/x hydros all go about 5 or more MPH slower from the left to the right and that drops our 2 way speed.

Let's talk about ways to slow our boats down better and make them turn at 100.I have a few ideas to start with,as far as slowing down one thing that I notice is if you chop the throttle to far and wait for the boat to slow down to turn it will go dead because you cut the fuel so long that it puts out the fire and you need to blip the throttle to keep it going....so it takes longer to slow down.So im thinking about using a battery like the tether cars run to keep the plug hot while you have the throttle off,that way you could slow down then put the throttle back up and away you go!.....as far as turning goes,my boat turns great @ 80 + no problem.Some of the other fellas make there sponsons with sharp edged vertical sides and they tend to hook the boat if you turn to fast,yeah it's probley a little faster that way but....if you cant turn it!!! so if you put a 45 deg chine on the sponsons it will turn great,also I put a 45 deg by 1/8 break on the ride pad....thurns great.Any body else have any ideas?...lets hear em!

That would be great Scott if you guys could move the clocks to the right about 100' or more. Even if you have to sink a long pipe in the bottom of the lake to mount the far right timing eye. That's been done here in the East where the lake has been too wide.

We have a pond up here in district 9 that would be a killer for SAW venues .... but would those who persue SAW come 450 miles north to use it, :( not likely.
I'd bet otherwise Scott. Dude, if you've got that good a site the speed freaks will travel. I just did a 1400 mile round trip to & from Valdosta to watch the wind blow for 3 days. Of course the water was perfect during the day I had to drive home. :(

My personal opinion: leave the 330ft and the 2 way passes. That's what makes SAW different to the guys who run with a GPS. That's part of the game, knowing that it is and will be difficult.

And yes, I'll go to any place in the world if it has clean&flat SAW water, timing lights and a pond long enough to go 120mph++.

@Andy: 150mph. I'll take you at your word. Will you be in LA in November? JAG's will be there.

Joerg

My personal opinion: leave the 330ft and the 2 way passes. That's what makes SAW different to the guys who run with a GPS. That's part of the game, knowing that it is and will be difficult.

And yes, I'll go to any place in the world if it has clean&flat SAW water, timing lights and a pond long enough to go 120mph++.

@Andy: 150mph. I'll take you at your word. Will you be in LA in November? JAG's will be there.

Joerg

Yes Joerg, I should be ready by then. I'll look forward to seeing you there. And I agree with your opinion.

We have a pond up here in district 9 that would be a killer for SAW venues .... but would those who persue SAW come 450 miles north to use it, :( not likely.
I'd bet otherwise Scott. Dude, if you've got that good a site the speed freaks will travel. I just did a 1400 mile round trip to & from Valdosta to watch the wind blow for 3 days. Of course the water was perfect during the day I had to drive home. :(
Don,

I spent most of last year in NorCal and I'll tell you straight up there are some sweet places to run. :)

Now what they do to put on a SAW event is up to the club but I have had some of my best times racing in NorCal. Oh yea the racing is good and Napa Valley is close :p

Good racing, Good folks, and Good wine :lol:

:)

-Buck-

Anyways Yorkville Illinois is best SAW site Ive ever seen. With me on this Keeley? I know you were the the last few years, anyone else?

Larry
Ya, Fox Valley was a great site for sure, a little tight on the LHS but a great site for sure.

Thread Lake might not be in the nicest neighborhood and there can be trash in the water at times, but when the 'ol gal lays down you won't find a bigger piece of water anywhere. I've seen Gary use all the 2000 x 1000' feet there too. :lol:

Ain't she purdy:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=309&pos=2

Don,

:blink: Well .... I stand corrected on you "Speed freaks" willingness to travel.

But with that said, For us to actually set up and host a SAW event (District 9) is a reach :(

Why ... we have no one up here who races within our district that persues SAW, don't have the required traps either. But ... we do have the water and facilities that would be more that willing to accomidate such an event.

As it stands for 2006, our primary lake for the season is allready dealing with 6 of 11 district heat races + the Gold Rush Gas Championships in october.

Our allotted slots for the facility are pretty much shot for this year. (BTW I am speaking of Lake Minden north of sacramento)

As club commidore of the Folsom RC modeleers, and Lake Minden being our home pond, welcome an exchange of possable ways we might work together in doing such an event ?

We as a club have talked about it, but never followed up on making it a reality <_< Maybe this might open the door for such a joint venture.

Regards.

Scott

Back