Futaba 3PK wheel radio.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Inverarity

Supporting Member
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with this radio, how good/bad it is for boat racing? ???

I currently us a JR R-1 which I am quite happy with, but the third channel operation is like a digital trim, which I feel is too slow and awkward for use with 3rd channel needles. This has been no big deal, but I am thinking of going to 3rd channel needles in my nitro boats, and according to the information I have seen the Futaba 3PK has several dials to which can be assigned the 3rd channel operation.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I think from a post from rcboats2 (Rodney) they don't make that particular radio anymore. I have a recollection about him saying they had changed to a digital trim. Mind you it could be the drugs kicking in and I'm imagining you all. :eek:

GT 8)

Hi Ian

I was confused about the radio - I think he meant the earlier one with the same designation. I see by the link you posted what you mean about the assignable trim knob. Could be the go.

The only drug I'm really addicted to is adrenelin - but I just can't seem to get a decent fix anymore - too old I'm guessing.

I know i'm not imagining you guy's so it must be the voices in my head confusing me - all they say is get more boats. :p

GT ;D

GT

Another issue may be frquency bands. The high end radios are often restricted in available band in Aus due to the low numbers, so it is probably either 27MHz (not so good with a bunch of kids toys on the same band!) or 40 MHz which doesn't have many frequencies here. :-

The JR R1 I have is on 36MHz, which I feel is the best, but it is a pity they didn't keep the dials like they had on the R-756!

You need some more exciting boats! How about a 90 rigger.... ;D

Basically similar to 3PJ super, faster response, bigger display with backlight, BUT NO 7:3/5:5 for throttle centering option!

I owned both a 3PJS and a 3PK until two months ago. I ended up selling the 3pk since I liked the 3pjs better. I took me slightly longer to learn how to program the pjs. The 3pk had a few more bells and whistles, but I felt more comfortable with the 3pjs. I liked the idea of the HR receiver but I was unable to perceive any difference in speed over the PCM mode I was using with the 3pjs. I never could bring myself to purchase digital servos to capitalize on the HR receiver, so I sold the radio.

All my boats use digital rudder servos, changing to digital throttle servos would not be a big deal for me. I very much like digital servos in boats. ;D

Does anyone know if they have to be Futaba digital servos? I have mostly JR and a Multiplex servo.

Rossi factory tour? Hmm, that could be interesting! 8)

Nitrocrazed racing: Will it drive my boat for me?

Hi Ian

You can use Hitec digital servos with Futaba without any worries. JR & Multiplex are essentially the same radios - different packageing. I do recall hearing recently that Hitec acquired another radio company and I think it might have been multiplex, not sure. ???

What do you think the advantages of digital servos are for boats - holding power around nuetral? They do consume a fair bit more power do you run a big battery?

GT 8)

Tim,

I use JR DS8411's for the rudders: http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/d...p?Prod=JRPS8411

Not cheap tho, some people use whole radio systems that cost less!! :-

GT,

Multiplex is a completely different ballgame to JR, Multiplex are German for a start! One of my fellow club member is the local service agent for Multiplex.

The reason I ask about the digitals is that Futaba state that their High Response reciever can only be used with digital servos. I am worried about electronic incompatabilities rather than merely plug compatabilities! ;D

Yes, the holding power is a big advantage. With my 45 SG there was a noticable improvement in the tracking of the boat by changing to a digital servo. Haven't used anything else for rudders since! ;D The power consumption has never been an issue for me, most of my boats simply use 5 cell 900mah packs without problems.

They are noisy and expensive tho!

Nitrocrazed racing: Big bicky racing.

Tim,

I was talking to Eric A a while ago, he had good things to say about the more recent Hitec servos. I think he uses the Hitec digital Jumbo in his twin?

Nitrocrazed racing: Fancy stuff.

i also have the futaba 3pjs. it has more features than i'll ever use including all of the ones i could want.

on the 3pjs, the third channel mixture control can be assigned to at least three different knobs and wheels of your choice on the controller. i have mine set to a knob on the top, as well as a wheel right above my left thumb, so i can use whichever one is more convenient (or whichever one i can think of in the heat of a race, hehehe, i'm lucky i don't drop the thing half the time ;D). in addition, you can vary the third channel servo travel per wheel/knob click from very small increments to large increments and anywhere in between you like.

you can basicly program all of the wheels and knobs to do whichever function you want them to. i feel it's much easier to turn a wheel and feel clicks than trying to find the a button and keep tapping or hold it down and hope you don't go to far.

if i had find something that could be added to the 3pjs that i could use, it would be for it to have more selections for throttle neutral position than the 5:5 or 7:3 settings. but at least it has those two and that's a great feature.

pcm failsafe is cool too

Any brand digitals will work with the HRS reciever. I have used Futaba,Airtronics,JR,and Hiteck. As for the 5.5 or 7.3, if you fool around with sub-trims and end points on the new radio you can set it up perfectly. The third channel can be adjusted to give you up to 200 different servo positions or as few as 2. Plus the new radio is so much more user friendly,I'll never switch.

Back