Fuel Tank size

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyJones

Supporting Member
I just acquired a Miss Vegas??? with a 18 super tigre and Going through everything.

It has a Sullivan 8oz .The tank seams oversized.

What size tanks are you guys running 1 large, 2- smalls for a hopper tank?

This will be running as a heat racing boat 1/3rd Mile oval half laps>>Know what i mean?

Thanks Tim

P.S. If this boat doesn't run right and fast my girlfriend will.......... KILL ME!!!!! :p

I just acquired a Miss Vegas??? with a 18 super tigre and Going through everything.

This will be running as a heat racing boat 1/3rd Mile oval half laps>>Know what i mean?

Thanks Tim

P.S. If this boat doesn't run right and fast my girlfriend will.......... KILL ME!!!!! :p
Tim don't worry she can only kill you once :p :p

Walt barney

The Sullivan Rectangular 8 oz. Tank will fit. If you are planning to race the boat on a full size course, I would highly recommend this tank. I have switched to this tank because I was running out of fuel with my ST 18/Deuce. I cut away the front fuel tank wood mount and made a cradle for the 8 oz. tank from 1/4" plywood. I'll take a photo of what I did and post it.

JD

I run a 6 oz Sullivan and a 2oz Hopper, after a six lap heat I come back with about 1 oz left in the hopper.

Here's a photo of the Sullivan 8 oz. tank in my Deuce and the cradle I made to hold the tank.

It is possible to finish a NAMBA 6 lap, 1 mile course with the stock tank if you wait till one minute left on Start Time before starting and launching - and if you don't have to run any penalty laps.

I like to go out at the start of the 2 minutes and build up some heat in the engine.

JD

Little off topic, but what did you use for glue to hold the mount in Jerry?? I have tried a couple different types of epoxy on my mono, and the fuel tank mounts keep popping off.

Sean

Ditto,

I had popping off issues with 5 minute epoxy on other projects,but since I needed west epoxy I will try that instead.

Of course I sand and clean area as nessesary. I also have tried just fiberglass resin with not so good results.

Tim

Little off topic, but what did you use for glue to hold the mount in Jerry?? I have tried a couple different types of epoxy on my mono, and the fuel tank mounts keep popping off.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto,

I had popping off issues with 5 minute epoxy on other projects,but since I needed west epoxy I will try that instead.

Of course I sand and clean area as nessesary. I also have tried just fiberglass resin with not so good results.

Tim

Sean
I am not sure what Jerry used but I know 5 minute will break down when nitro hits it, unless it is sealed. I use 30 min any where fuel might get ti it.

Sean
I've used 6 minute epoxy and micro balloons and not had any problems. There is no pressure on the mount from the rubber bands. I rough up the area where the part will be glued to the hull. Maybe I've just been lucky.

JD

I don't think mine is coming apart with normal use...I think they are popping off with 70+ MPH flips, stuffs, and crashes... I have tried roughing up the surface...I have tried using acetone to clean it prior to epoxying it. I have tried 30 minute epoxy, and some quicker ones. I have tried painting them with epoxy after they have been bonded to the hull. Just have not had consistant luck with anything I have tried. I think I might need to make them larger to get more bonding surface. I am using blocks of walnut with hooks or eyes screwed into them...with rubber bands that stretch between them to hold the tank down.

Sean

Great topic, glad I saw this as I have to change out the stock tank before our first race for the little guy....

I don't think mine is coming apart with normal use...I think they are popping off with 70+ MPH flips, stuffs, and crashes... I have tried roughing up the surface...I have tried using acetone to clean it prior to epoxying it. I have tried 30 minute epoxy, and some quicker ones. I have tried painting them with epoxy after they have been bonded to the hull. Just have not had consistant luck with anything I have tried. I think I might need to make them larger to get more bonding surface. I am using blocks of walnut with hooks or eyes screwed into them...with rubber bands that stretch between them to hold the tank down.

Sean
I should have mentioned I glued a 1/4 X 1/4 doubler to the bottom of the fuel cradle so I have a 1/2" of gluing surface.

JD

Sean
I should have mentioned I glued a 1/4 X 1/4 doubler to the bottom of the fuel cradle so I have a 1/2" of gluing surface.

JD
Yes, you can see that in the picture....excellent!

Sean
Sean,

I'm pretty sure your problem lies in your choice of wood (Walnut). Try Maple (or a softer wood, "open-pored wood"). Walnut has a dense hardwood grain that doesnt really allow the glue to bite well (even if you rough-sand it). Some woods (coco bolo for example) also have natural oils in them that dont let glues bond well (tho I DONT know this to be true for Walnut).

I use "Shoe Goo" to bond wood to the bottom of the boat.

I also use a 7oz tank in the boat (same as 21 Eagle SGX) tank..

Grim

I have did about everything suggested from previous posts and is ready for the water.

I have turn the radio box around,aligned and supported the drive tube ,kept a 8oz tank.

I changed from 2-56 to 4-40 for the steering.

I cut out the rear of the cowl for air flow.

I'm using my 9/16"id tube and 1/2"x 1/8" wall exhaust exit for unrestricted flow.

I need to change the flywheel and collet!!

What were the part numbers for the above ????

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks Tim

Inside TTT.jpg

TTT2.jpg

I have did about everything suggested from previous posts and is ready for the water.

I have turn the radio box around,aligned and supported the drive tube ,kept a 8oz tank.

I changed from 2-56 to 4-40 for the steering.

I cut out the rear of the cowl for air flow.

I'm using my 9/16"id tube and 1/2"x 1/8" wall exhaust exit for unrestricted flow.

I need to change the flywheel and collet!!

What were the part numbers for the above ????

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks Tim

The boat looks great

Great topic, glad I saw this as I have to change out the stock tank before our first race for the little guy....
Your Smokin Joes boats are beautiful!! For the purple color that you painted your Deuce's Cowl with what brand of paint and what's the name or number of that paint?

Ok,

My girlfriend finally got to race Tony and she loves it.

She placed 2nd at Greensboro, some debri got caught on the prop on the last heat.

RTR's are awesome!!!!. I'm a bigger boat guy,but I have to say that they are so much fun to race and cheaper on fuel and if set up right,very fast ,even stock.

I did open a couple more vent holes to help with air flow,cooling purpose only.

The 8oz fuel tank was more than enough for half lap heat racing and gives me the oportunity to adjust how much or how little it needs.

Thanks for the help

Tim

P.S. I'm still alive and Better than ever!!!!!!!!!!!! Know What I mean>>>>>>>>> LOL

Back