Fuel Problem

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

I have a Dumas Hotshot 3.5 tunnel hull with a K-B 3.5 outboard engine. This boat has three compartments. One for the electronics, one in the middle and one in front of the engine. When I built my boat the plans showed the fuel tank mounted in the middle compartment. This is where I put the tank. The problem I have is that I can only burn about a fourth of a tank of fuel and then the engine dies and can't be restarted until I refill it and then it runs for another fourth of a tank. It runs just fine and is equipped with a pressure tap. Can anybody help me?

Bret, the first place to look is your brass fuel lines, check them for cracks. Next, if possible is to raise the fuel tank as high as you can or put a 1 oz. hopper tank as far back and high under the cowl. One more thing might be to try to richen up the carb slightly. If you are not getting a good fuel feed, it will go lean and shut down. I'm sure others will have some more ideas. Which version of the Dumas boat do you have, there are at least 3 that I know of.

Thanks for your reply Ron. the boat is a Hot Shot Sprint 3.5. I really can't raise the tank because the control cables run right across the top of the tank. I will try adjusting the needle valve and if that doesn't work I will try the hopper tank setup.

just asking..... you are running a pressure line to the tank from the engine right?

Try mounting the tank under the cowl in the back instead of mounting it in the hull. Use an 8 OZ round tank. The higher you can get the tank the better fuel draw will be.

Ed Radz

I'll add one thing to your great responses...A nitro engine that is running too hot will shut down before burning a full tank of fuel. Make sure your engine is not running too lean.

Back