For Sale rcRacingEvents.com

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok boys no fighting Bill is back and be glad he has one great site and alot of hard work into it, so lets be glad the site is still here and help Bill out any way we can Robert

Bill glad to see you back at it.

Some times you need to take a break or it will break you.

Remember it's all just water off a ducks back.

David

How about a new video if you have the chance. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
READ ALL OF THIS CAREFULLY. ONLY FACTS ARE STATED.

quote name='Bill Britton' timestamp='1329571088' post='459057'

Looking for someone who can carry this project forward. I can no longer do it for personal reasons. Would like $1000.00 and a commitment that it will be maintained and furthered for the good of the hobby.

Candidate should be (but not a requirement) familiar with VB6, and Perl software languages. you will get all source code, domain name, and any telephone/programming support I can provide for one year.

If I can find no one, it will be shut down on August 1, 2012.

I will not give/sell this to just anyone. It's not really about the money, but you MUST show that you are committed to the hobby and would be serious about furthering it.

SO AT THIS POINT NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE DOING. OTHER THAN THE FACTS STATED BY YOU IN THIS POST.

quote name='Bill Britton' timestamp='1343305980' post='487021'

After much thought and some disturbing stories I have decided that I will not be selling rcRacingEvents.

It will also not be shutting down on Aug 1.

It has become apparent to me that the majority of those who wanted to purchase the website were intending to create a way to 'recoup' the purchase cost by charging the entrant, or the club a fee for using this service. This is directly counter to the stipulations I had for selling it.

rcRacingEvents was created to further the RC boating hobby. NOT to create a revenue stream. It seems that that was lost to most who desired to purchase the website. While true that I have not been involed in the hobby as of late, I still do not wish to see my creation become a money making venture by someone who simply had an idea to purchase the site and turn it into a 'pay to play' source of income. I feel that if anyone has the right to do that, It would be myself. With over 4 1/2 years invested in its development, and having never received a single dime from it's use, nor a single donation. If anyone is going to profit from it, it will be me, and for now I have no desire to do that.

Also, for those who think that the website could be duplicated for 2,000 - 3, 000 dollars is seriously mistaken (yes, I've seen the emails) and are being milked by the programmers who say that it can. The typical programmer bills 125-150 /hr. Good luck writing a website like rcRacingEvents in 20 -30 hours... The fact that a few would try to create an entirely new site to make money, rather than continue a site that was created to further the hobby, slaps in the face of those who give more than they receive in the RC boating world. That's not what this hobby is supposed to be about, at least for me.

The site is not going away. It is not being sold, and it is still free to use.

Bill Britton

SO NOW YOU ARE NOT SELLING IT AND GOING TO RUN IT? AND YES IT WILL BE DONE FOR $2000 - $3000! ! ! SO I GUESS YOU ARE SERIOUSLY MISTAKEN! ! !

quote name='Bill Britton' timestamp='1343357034' post='487193'

quote name='SCTunnel' timestamp='1343351915' post='487175'First I would like to thank you Bill for your program, it has helped us and a lot of other clubs run there races. And I am glad to see that you are going to keep it up and running. But in February when you put yours up for sale or said it would be shut down August 1 we saw a need for another web based race management program to take its place knowing yours might be shut down. So we contacted a programmer and started the ball rolling on building a new one (not duplicating yours). And yes we are asking for donations to help fund this project (the same way this site does to help stay up and running). Our new program will also be free of charge to use, so there is no profit to be seen from this just a service to help out the boating community. So with both of these sites being nonprofit we are not hitting each other in the wallet just providing the boating community with more options. To help assure any one who donates, I will personally refund any funds if our program does not reach completion.

Thanks Deryl Nesbitt

So let me get this straight.

Your taking money from people to do something that has already been done (and quite well thank you very much), to give to them for free, for something that is already free.

Interesting...

Think I smell a dead rat.

THE ONLY THING DEAD I SMELL IS THE HORSE YOU KEEP BEATING. WE ARE NOT DOING A REPRODUCTION OF YOUR SITE! YOU HAVE DONE IT QUIT WELL BUT WE PLAN TO DO IT BETTER. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO CALL US FOR SUPPORT, IT WILL RUN ON ITS OWN.

quote name='Bill Britton' timestamp='1343391225' post='487234'

OK.

Six months out because of the political BS and 24 hrs after signing back in and it's started all over again...

Maybe I've made a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out Sean.

SO AFTER 24HRS YOUR ALREADY PISSED OFF AGAIN AND SECOND GUESSING YOURSELF. PFT ! ! ! ! ! ! !

quote name='Bill Britton' timestamp='1343481349' post='487455'

Julian/All

I'm not really that upset about it anymore. I thought about it yesterday and it is what it is. But I will say this. Everyone I spoke with about the site, I ensured them it was not going to be shut down. Those who use it to run races were assured that it would continue to be available for them.

When I spoke with Doug of MeTime a few months ago when he inquired about its purchase, I ensured him it would not be shut down as well. In the end MeTime didn't purchase the site because they had no experience with the programming language. In fact Doug has no programming experience at all. Deryl and Jeni run in the same circles as Doug, and therefore I'm fairly certain that they would have been made aware that the site was not shutting down as well. So the emails asking for donations reporting that the site would shut down to me were not actually in good faith.

The truth is, that as soon as Doug found out about rcRacingEvents about three years ago, he tried to jump on the idea and create the same thing back then. He even posted it on IW. I'm sure many of you may remember seeing the posts. But I assume he abandoned the idea after he saw the difficulties involved in creating something of this magnitude. Eventually we ended up with a kind of mutual agreement that he would do video, and I would do entries and scoring for the hobby. This worked for awhile and we even worked together and jointly he provided live video and I provided up to the minute scoring results at a few big races.

I have spent five years creating something that no one else had the vision to see and the skills to create. Without a doubt the biggest supporter of it was Don Riek during it's infancy. I think he would be proud that it eventually grew into what it is today and his input and guidance helped make it so.

I have never asked for money, nor received any for the use of the site. I carried that burden alone against the advice of my wife and many others, simply because I wanted to give back to the hobby a small token of what it had given me. To me some things are bigger than the dollar.

In the end, rcRacingEvents came out of me. From imagination, to fingertips, to keyboard, You have no idea how many nights I have seen the sun come up through my office window after writing code all night. How many times I was on the verge of giving up when progress seemed impossible. In short, I didn't simply hire a programmer to do something that I could not, to create something that I did not envision nor had the passion to do myself.

To me, that's the difference.

Do I feel a little betrayed? maybe. But I hold no grudge, I'm at peace with it now. Just remember Deryl, Jeni, and Doug. There is far more to it than taking entries on the internet. That was the easy part.

Even considering all those nights that I was ready to push myself away from the keyboard and give up, I was never as close as I am right now.

Bill

SO THIS IS WHERE YOU BROUGHT ME AND MY BUSINESS INTO THIS CRAP. I THINK IT BE FAIR TO REFERENCE MIKE WHITNEY IN HERE SOMEWHERE SINCE YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM TAGGING ME WITH JENNI AND DERYL (WHICH SUPPORT THE HOBBY MORE THAN YOU EVER WILL! ! !)

quote name='Mike Whitney' timestamp='1326989996' post='454690'

RcRacingevents.com will be broadcasting the 2012 Winternats...see the post in the "Races & Results" section for info.

Thanks to the Metime crew for all your hard work and contributions to this hobby.

TWO DAYS AFTER WE POSTED NO MORE BROADCASTS THIS WAS POSTED. AND GLAD YOU AT LEAST TRIED TO PICK UP THE VOID. WE (DERYL, JENNI AND I ), WAITED OVER 3 MONTHS BEFORE TRYING TO FILL THE GAP YOU WERE LEAVING, OR ARE YOU, MAYBE NOT, WELL YEA, NO WAIT HIS FEELINGS GOT HURT CAUSE THE LIVE FEED CRASHED, NO WAIT SOMEONE ELSE IS GONNA STEP UP SO I BETTER POST SOMETHING. REALLY ! ! ! ! !

quote name='Mike Whitney' timestamp='1326977394' post='454663'

Thanks Wayne & the OCD crew. We will try to pick up the ball and run with this and hope everyone will appreciate at least being able to see and hear the races. We will try to continue with the post heat race interviews as well.

Here is the link for the LIVE broadcast: Race Central LIVE

We are offering advertising below the "broadcast window", in the form of a rotating ad. You can see an example of the type of ad in the upper right hand side on the home page @ rcRacingevents.com

The ads will be $50 each and will be rotated during the LIVE racing action. If you are interested in advertisng, we would need your logo & ad copy by no later than Sunday Jan. 22nd....sorry for the short notice. Mail all ad copy to : [email protected]

IT'S STILL FREE, BUT MIKE WHITNEY IS ASKIN FOR MONEY! ! !

BELOW IS THE PERSONAL CONVERSATION BILL AND I HAD ABOUT US PRODUCING A PROGRAM BACK IN 2010. AND WE WORKED TOGETHER AFTER THIS.

Why?

Participants: Bill Britton, mprfrk440

Bill Britton

Sent 20 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Doug

You stated;

Interactive Racing Software: This has been our top secret project for the past 6 months or so. I will not go into detail on this now, but imagine being able to register and pay for a race online, set up your own personal race profile with as much or as little information about your racing boats that you would like people to know, live interactive scoring, also, your profile will be updated every heat race with scores, and so much more. You won’t believe what this system can do!

Why do this? rcRacingEvents has been doing exactly this for almost two years. I did not roll out our live feed portion of rcRacingEvents because you were already doing it.

I guess that respect does not go both ways.

Bill Britton

rcRacingEvents.com

mprfrk440

Sent 20 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Bill,

It is not about respect, it is about promoting the hobby. If you want to roll out your live events on your site, do it, I will give you all the support I can give if you need it. The more rc boat stuff out there the more we can promote.

And whose to say you did not give Marty Davis the respect he is due. You might say yours is different and better than his, and I might say the same for yours against ours. It boils down to what can I do to promote this hobby? and if this software we use to accomplish this information share on the web does that, then I will not hesitate to do so.

I have browsed your site, and it is awesome and does great things for this hobby, but does not have live scoring capabilities, nor did it have compiled scoring data in anyones profile for the last two years the site has been active. It seems to me that not a lot of people have even taken the time to fill out a profile, which I am sure is on there side of things not yours. We have a few clubs that said, what can we do to get a web page on your site for our club. Send me info and I can have it done in a day. Go look at our club pages, only one, and that is the club I am a member of and got the info myself. I am sure we will have this problem as well with the online profiles and registering, but we have an edge with our yearly memberships and live feeds. People are on the site already so why not fill out profiles to show what they have and race.

It was not my intention to disrespect you or step on any toes, what we will do with this is different from what you already have, stepping into the next generation of info sharing.

Sincerely,

Doug

Bill Britton

Sent 20 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

Huh?

Look, Maybe there was a misunderstanding with the brief comment I made in the original pm. For that I apologize.

If you are talking about Ron Byrd and his scoring program, I brought rc event setup into the 20th century by allowing clubs to setup races online, people to enter and pay online, allow clubs to score in real time, etc.... Ron Byrd's program had no such capability.

I have no need to start allowing live feeds on rcRacingEvents as you are already filling that need. As stated before, I had live feed capability 1 1/2 years ago but did not roll it out as you had just started doing it when I was ready to release it. So out of respect for what you where doing for the hobby, I focused on the registration and scoring side only.

I am not looking to compete with anyone. The only reason I created rcRacingEvents was because people were tired of mailing in entries and all the paper work that goes with it setting up a race. I saw a niche and stepped into it. A niche that was completely empty.

I harbor no ill will towards your endeavor, If that was how you interpreted my original pm then i am sorry, It was not intended that way. We all try to do what we can for the hobby. We all know that it is a fairly small group who love to race boats.

If it is true that you are not going to be doing what rcRacingEvents already does, perhaps, if you are interested, I can abandon the racer profile side of rcRacingEvents as well as the real-time scoring, and a partnership of sorts can be worked out so that Clubs can create and setup races on rcRacingEvents and Metime can do live feeds and real time scoring, etc,..

rcRacingEvents is a solid race setup application, Metime is well versed in producing an event.

I'm thinking we can both compliment each other. It appears we are equally competent at programming, and it would not be very difficult at all to engineer a cooperative venture using the existing strengths both sites already posess.

I would be willing to give you a complete and thorough briefing of the capabilities of rcRacingEvents. I believe you would be rather surprised at what rcRacingEvents actually can do. A-Z event setup, entries, payments, setting up heats, rounds, scoring. etc. Of course all of this is behind the scenes if you are not a club. You would have no idea of what it's capabilities are if you do not organize events. What you see at the website is NOTHING compared to the power it possesses once you log in as a club and setup an event.

Couple that with your production capabilities and I believe we can both bring this hobby to new heights in a manner that neither one individually could envision.

Bill

SO BILL, MIKE, OR WHOEVER ELSE WANTS TO BEAT THIS HORSE SOME MORE, BEAT IT HARD. I AINT SMELLING IT NO MORE.

WE WILL BE ROLLING OUT A NEW RACE PROGRAM AND I HOPE YOU WILL CONTINUE YOURS AS WELL. iF YOU EVER DECIDE TO DO LIVE BROADCASTS AGAIN PLEASE RESPOND TO MY PM TO HELP YOU. ALL YOU HAD TO DO IS LOWER YOUR OUTPUT BANDWIDTH AND YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE :(

PEACE OUT, NO HARD FEELINGS, JUST WANTED TO STATE THE FACTS.

this thread is locked.. :ph34r:
No it's not. As much as I don't like this on line squabble there are too many people still asking what exactly is going to happen, who's doing what and where all this is heading. I will say this- if it does not remain civil with minimal drama this thread won't just get locked, it will VANISH!! So for now this thread will remain open, but it better stay clean, straight up and factual. There are still plenty of races upcoming and people wanting to know exactly where this will wind up, so to all parties involved please settle this in a mature manner so they what to expect for the remainder of the season.

Nice welcome back for someone who has given as much as anyone I have met in this hobby. I have told Bill many times he needs to start some sort of revenue stream and he just won't do it. I am sure his internet connections and servers cost a bit more than your average home PC. RCRacingevents is as good a total system as I have ever seen. Being able to see who has enterered, and then all the scores heat by heat as soon as the host club gets an internet connection is great info to promote this hobby.

If there is anyone wanting to develope another system thats a plus for the hobby. Finding someone who has put as much time in as Bill for free will be hard to do. He doesn't ask for money, and he should, but doesn't write any of this off as a taxable buisness which he also should. He just loves rc racing and we do not need to drive him back out with more drama.

Mic

Mic,

Drama here seems to be coming from the source of this debate, more than anywhere else, so I consider it self-inflicted.

Since returning to the hobby, I as much as anyone else, appreciate what Bill has created for all of us, period!!!! He has provided countless hours of his time to help make our hobby and races run smoother for all of us. Thank you Bill.

BUT Bill, you did put the site up for sale a few months ago, you did state in a public forum if it didn't sell you would shut it off August 1st, so you did leave the door wide open for someone else to wedge their foot in the opening. Do you realize you waited until less than 30 days of your original announcement to shut down the site, to let the rest of us that are not "in the know" your intentions?

Along comes Deryl, Jeni, and Doug. They see the opportunity, move forward, and you slammed them in a public forum for moving forward on a venture that you left the door wide open to materialize. Deryl did not owe anyone anything, but because of your dedication Bill, looks like he felt it was the right thing to do to let you know their intentions. Hats off to him for letting you know.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I don't want to see Premo blaming this altercation on me as he has most of the other heated discussions that seem to be happening lately...... :eek: , but I am a paying club race supporter of this hobby and I did want to voice my opinion.

There is enough support out there for two systems, two choices, two groups of people that want to support our addiction to toy boats. I hope you all can come to terms, agree to disagree, and move forward. We are all thankful for what you are doing and will support you anyway we can to continue to make it easier for the clubs, boaters, and spectators to enjoy our hobby.

We are also very much appreciate what Bill does for the hobby. It is a shame because our offer was totally genuine. I own a datacenter in the Denver area where this could have run and I have the technical staff to support it. Further when we discussed recooping the cost of the purchase price it was by the way of NAMBA District 20 ponying up the cash and our intent was to keep the site and service absolutely free. We are holding the NAMBA NATs here in District 20 in 2013 and we plan on using RCRacing Events for doing all of the registration.

Latest posts

Back