Foam Surace Prep

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrcbud

Can anybody tell me what surface preparation I would need to do to seal pink/blue foam before applying pva ? I wanted to make a plug out insulation foam. Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

The cowl on the boat I'm holding, I made. It's urethane foam and once the plug is shaped to satisfaction it has to be made smooth. I epoxy/glassed mine and sanded

smooth and put in any details that I wan'ted,,such as "windshield" outline,,very

important for me,I scribed it into the hard plug,,as well as a "earhole" for "Nascar"

style air inlets like on the full size boat. Once thats all done I primered it like I was

painting it and sanded it smooth,,but I stopped right there and got it ready for silicone mould making material(special product) just for this purpose. There are

other methoeds and mould making materials that you can use. I would really take

some advise from "Phil Thomas" whom will probably respond here and "straighten"

you out on these things as He is a "real" Pro at this, I'm convinced of that :)

PS: The silicone material I used is perdy pricey,,almost $400 to do mine and I had

a "blowout" in the cardboard structure I built to hold the silicone and frantic repairs

ensued to stop the leak resulted in an imperfect mould :( so be careful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry I was hoping you would respond to this I remember reading the thread when you built the cowl thaks for the response. Where did you get the urethane foam?

I was also thinking of using Apoxy clay.

myrcbud said:
Jerry I was hoping you would respond to this I remember reading the thread when you built the cowl thaks for the response. Where did you get the urethane foam?I was also thinking of using Apoxy clay.

79580[/snapback]

I was kinda afraid you were gonna ask that. The stuff I used came from "General Plastics MFG. CO. , 4910 Burlington Way , Tacoma, WA 98409

The reason I said "afraid", is that it's spendy,,Half a 4X8 ft x 6",,ripped $224.00

It's the most "uniform" cell foam around and is a "breeze" to shape, impervious

to all kinds of "solvents",,such as polyester resin. How much are you going to need? :huh:

Builders foam will work OK but you would have to "laminate" slabs together and glue the slabs together way in the center where your not going to shape to so you don't have to fight glue in the shaping and sanding.

It's possible for me to ship you a "chunk" as long as it's not too large B)

myrcbud said:
I would only be able to do, 2pcs 48" x 10" x 6", other than that you'd have to laminate and if you have to laminate you might as well use 4" and 2" pink or blue

builders foam,,otherwise you'd leave me with scraps <_< Still even at that, you

would take most of what I have :( cause I've used some for various parts on other boats and FLoat Planes :D gotta Pylon racer on floats that does 80 mph

on the water,,it's fun

A little correction,,I have a 48 x 48 inch sheet 6 inches thick and 11in x 6in x 48 lg

my sheet wasn't a "Rip" (carpenters term) rather a cross-cut sheet :blink:

What in the "H" are ya makin' that requires 10 x 10 in sq?? :huh: "Guns of Naverone" :lol: :lol: :p

The reason I wanted to start out so big was the I had enough for corrections Ive never actualy never worked with foam before. Thanks for all the help Jerry.

myrcbud said:
The reason I wanted to start out so big was the I had enough for corrections Ive never actualy never worked with foam before. Thanks for all the help Jerry.
79715[/snapback]

Well I think I got bead on ya now,,What your intending to do is "pissing on the

electric fence about 40 times in a row" That methoed of "making" a successful

boat first time is (and I'm gonna say it) IMPOSSIBLE! Please don't waste your time,

I'm tryin' to save you from some real misery here,,Honest. I've never tried it and

I wouldn't,,unless I was retired wealthy. It's going to take alot of foam,,many

failures are Easily Possible. There is just a Multitude of successfull models available

out there that would seem like they're Free, compared to the time and money you

can spend on tryin' to do what your thinking of doing. This kind of work takes

alot of experience,knowledge,time, money and patience,,,trust me :huh:

I made a cowl mould,,and the materials Alone were almost $1000.00 :eek:

Jerry Wyss said:
myrcbud said:
79715[/snapback]

What you intending to do is "pissing on the

electric fence about 40 times in a row :lol: :lol: :lol: And Jerry has try many times !so he has the experience of failure!!!!! :lol: :lol: :p

HI BUDDY!!!

On some of them,,pissing on the electric fence would'a been "Pure Joy" :lol: :lol:

Hey Nick,,Still haven't got that rod for ya,,I'll have to rub my hands together :blink:

Nigtmare said:
Sorry Jerry I couldn't help it :p
79726[/snapback]

No prob my friend, I feel sorry for "myrcbud",,I have a bad day at work and it gets

poured out on him. My apologies "myrcbud" :rolleyes:

Jerry Wyss said:
On some of them,,pissing on the electric fence would'a been "Pure Joy" :lol:   :lol:
Hey Nick,,Still haven't got that rod for ya,,I'll have to rub my hands together :blink:

79725[/snapback]

Oh yah I meant to tell you.you know the black head picco that is for sell?Well i contact the guy right after you, wanted to buy it.So I was next after you.well he sold the engine to another guy :eek: I guess he din't like my face :lol:

Back