flex shaft help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi guys...newbie here again. I'm starting to order parts and I need help with the drive line components. Here's what I think I need. prop nut, prop, strut, strut bushing, flex line, 5/16 brass tube. Here's where I need help. What goes between the prop and the strut? Washer/bearing?? and where to buy? The strut bushing has one end larger and cannot be push completely out of the strut. Do I put this in from the back or front of the strut?

thanks for the help

Norm

You need a Drive dog and just leave a gap equal to the flex dia.

There are some stuts that the stuffing tube go's through the stut and you use a strut bushing.,much like the speedmaster setup. It really all depends on the type (manufacture) strut you use and they can help you.

I like SpeedMaster.

I will try and send a pic.

Tim

Hi guys...newbie here again. I'm starting to order parts and I need help with the drive line components. Here's what I think I need. prop nut, prop, strut, strut bushing, flex line, 5/16 brass tube. Here's where I need help. What goes between the prop and the strut? Washer/bearing?? and where to buy? The strut bushing has one end larger and cannot be push completely out of the strut. Do I put this in from the back or front of the strut?

thanks for the help

Norm

Last edited by a moderator:
the flared bushing goes in from the back, the brass tube/stuffing tube fits in the front of the strut a short ways. the stuffing tube & the bushing almost touch inside the strut.

thanks guys. My flared bushing when inserted into the strut from the back, sticks out the other end by about 3/8" Also, this stuffing tube from the engine back...brass or copper? I'd love to see pictures if you can post them.

Thanks again

Norm

DSC04541.JPG

thanks guys. My flared bushing when inserted into the strut from the back, sticks out the other end by about 3/8" Also, this stuffing tube from the engine back...brass or copper? I'd love to see pictures if you can post them.

Thanks again

Norm
That is a Speedmaster strut. Looks like 1/4 shaft and cable?

Get yourself a 5/16od. x 36 inch brass tube your bushing will fit in that tube.

The 5/16 tube goes from the engine thru the strut. The brass tube goes all the way thru the strut. You will have to put it in a drill and use sand paper till it fit thru the strut all the way.

The brass bushing fits on the 1/4shaft and bushing should fit in the strut brass tube.

Thanks again

Norm
That is a Speedmaster strut. Looks like 1/4 shaft and cable?

Get yourself a 5/16od. x 36 inch brass tube your bushing will fit in that tube.

The 5/16 tube goes from the engine thru the strut. The brass tube goes all the way thru the strut. You will have to put it in a drill and use sand paper till it fit thru the strut all the way.

The brass bushing fits on the 1/4shaft and bushing should fit in the strut brass tube.
wouldnt it be wonderful if the manafactures sent instructions with pieces instead of the guessing game as to what has to be done? :(

Back