flex cable size for O.S.65 vr ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahdear

Anyone know which cable diameter I should be using with an OS.65 vr-m?

3/16 or 1/4? Or doesn't it matter that much?

I have a bare 41" mono hull, no hardware, no running gear.

cheers !

Anyone know which cable diameter I should be using with an OS.65 vr-m?3/16 or 1/4? Or doesn't it matter that much?

cheers !
1/4"
3/16 is fine. Been running 3/16 on .67's for years with no problem. !/4" is stiffer and heavier best left for the big block motors. Plus more 3/16 ID .67 props available. One tip. Silver solder the end that goes into the collet. Just long enough for the length that fits into the collet. Prevents the collet from crushing the cable and the collet holds better. Flux the end, heat the cable and flow in the silver solder (Sta Brite). hold the cable so it hangs down while cooling to prevent a kink/bend. Also while still hot take a rag and wipe the excess solder of. After it cools you may have to sand the end slightly so it's back to 3/16 and fits the collet.

Make sure you use a good water proof cable grease and pull the cable out after 2-3 heats and regrease - or use a shaft oiler.

Ed

I run a 61 VR-M with a 1/4" cable and a 6mm shaft for props (re-machined @ 3/16" where props are)

6mm bushings are easier to buy here.

Anyone know which cable diameter I should be using with an OS.65 vr-m?3/16 or 1/4? Or doesn't it matter that much?

cheers !
1/4"
3/16 is fine. Been running 3/16 on .67's for years with no problem. !/4" is stiffer and heavier best left for the big block motors. Plus more 3/16 ID .67 props available. One tip. Silver solder the end that goes into the collet. Just long enough for the length that fits into the collet. Prevents the collet from crushing the cable and the collet holds better. Flux the end, heat the cable and flow in the silver solder (Sta Brite). hold the cable so it hangs down while cooling to prevent a kink/bend. Also while still hot take a rag and wipe the excess solder of. After it cools you may have to sand the end slightly so it's back to 3/16 and fits the collet.

Make sure you use a good water proof cable grease and pull the cable out after 2-3 heats and regrease - or use a shaft oiler.

Ed
I'll have to agree with Ed on this one. I ran 3/16" shafts in my Picco .67 Twincraft mono that were prepared EXACTLY like he does his............never had a problem. Like he said, better selection of props, too!

Dick Tyndall

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ask 'ol Rod Geraghty about 3/16" vs. 1/4" cables and drag. Rod did a bunch of tests on parasitic drag a few years ago & guess what? He found NO difference between the two. By going with a 1/4" cable with the stepped shaft to 3/16" you get the best of both worlds- the added strength of 1/4" with the broader selection of of .67 sized props in the 3/16" hub bore. B)

Well ask 'ol Rod Geraghty about 3/16" vs. 1/4" cables and drag. Rod did a bunch of tests on parasitic drag a few years ago & guess what? He found NO difference between the two. By going with a 1/4" cable with the stepped shaft to 3/16" you get the best of both worlds- the added strength of 1/4" with the broader selection of of .67 sized props in the 3/16" hub bore. B)
Amen to that!

That's exactly my mount on my OS 61 VR-M, plus the metric advantage for me.

Well said....better safe than sorry.

I too have run 67's for MANY years with 3/16" cable. However, not everyone has the

finesse and luck with that combination. I would say that if you are unsure of which way

to go, then you should probably go the safe route.

Very true !! :)

Back