First Outing -Twin Gas Eagle SGX.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

The first Twin Gas Eagle hit the water for the first time last week.

The Eagle, built and driven by Alfred Lanza placed 2nd in Twin Gas at the Vegas World Cup race and 5th in Open Hydro. Ran a fast time of 1:14 for six laps.

The boat has two CC mod Zenoahs with Hot pipes.

This is a side by side Twin, but we use more stagger which allows us to keep the width down to a sleek looking 8.6".

Alfred's Twin Gas..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Twin Gas Eagle hit the water for the first time last week.

The Eagle, built and driven by Alfred Lanza placed 2nd in Twin Gas at the Vegas World Cup race and 5th in Open Hydro. Ran a fast time of 1:14 for six laps.

The boat has two CC mod Zenoahs with Hot pipes.

This is a side by side Twin, but we use more stagger which allows us to keep the width down to a sleek looking 8.6".
Ok saw the pic on facebook need more pics

I watched Alfred test and race this boat in Las Vegas. It was very fast in comparison and it looked like he could use more prop. It cornered well and Alfred seemed very happy with it. But, the wind was up and the water got rough so It was hard to tell.

Al Hobbs

Andy,

I pitted for Alfred and run with him in D9. Your new Twin Gas Rigger is so sweet, I had to buy one myself. I'm looking forward to running it in the near future. Here's a couple other pictures I took of it....look at the rooster tail! Will take many more as time rolls on...

Dave

_DSC5796.jpg

_DSC5795.jpg

Andy, looks like the boat is lifting the turn fin sponson a bit in turns there. Nice looking boat tho! :)
Yes Ian, I believe the struts were set a little too high, which would contribut to the turn fin lifting. Also the reason for the boat dragging the transom in all of the pics. I think Alfred had a decent set up considering this was his first real test with the boat and this SGX is designed a bit different than the others that he has raced.

Yes Ian, I believe the struts were set a little too high, which would contribut to the turn fin lifting. Also the reason for the boat dragging the transom in all of the pics. I think Alfred had a decent set up considering this was his first real test with the boat and this SGX is designed a bit different than the others that he has raced.
Andy, isnt the hook in the fin there to hold the fin in the water in turns?

Andy, looks like the boat is lifting the turn fin sponson a bit in turns there. Nice looking boat tho! :)
As most will , but in real time it was probably a second or so . Great pics , nice camera work !
Your correct it was only a split second or so. I got pics of some of the best running boats that come out looking the same.

Here's one of Alfred's main competiton in the class.

wcc010_edited-11280x853.jpg

The hook "helps". However, it takes a lot more than turn fin hook to keep the inside sponson on the water. In the 70's and earily 80's we ran with NO hook and the riggers of that era did not lean to the outside. If they did there were ways to correct it without putting hook in the fin. I had a wicked turning 1980 Crapshooter that had a very small straight fin. No angle, or hook.

The hook "helps". However, it takes a lot more than turn fin hook to keep the inside sponson on the water. In the 70's and earily 80's we ran with NO hook and the riggers of that era did not lean to the outside. If they did there were ways to correct it without putting hook in the fin. I had a wicked turning 1980 Crapshooter that had a very small straight fin. No angle, or hook.
It would seem to me to be an advantage to be able to run with no hook or angle in the turn fin, (the sensitivity to the pitch angle of the boat would not be an issue) so why isn't this done anymore?

Andy, What types of things do you do to keep the right sponson on the water, other than the hook?

It would seem to me to be an advantage to be able to run with no hook or angle in the turn fin, (the sensitivity to the pitch angle of the boat would not be an issue) so why isn't this done anymore?
Yes Ian. Hook has become a fad. Many newer boaters do not know what the "oldtimers" knew.

Dale, On a twin it can easily be done with strut adjustment. To a certain extent that will help a single too. Props, rudders and their placement have an effect. The shapes, angles on the hull that are influenced dynamically have a very big effect, so for the most part it must be built into the hull.

Yes Ian. Hook has become a fad. Many newer boaters do not know what the "oldtimers" knew.

Dale, On a twin it can easily be done with strut adjustment. To a certain extent that will help a single too. Props, rudders and their placement have an effect. The shapes, angles on the hull that are influenced dynamically have a very big effect, so for the most part it must be built into the hull.
Andy, I presume SGX's don't have hook in the turn fins because it is a 'fad' tho? Why has outrigger designs in general moved away from straight fins and boats designed to use them? Can the SGX be made to work without a hooked/angled fin?

Back