First Gas Boat Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem with a stock Zen. Then I realized I was flooding the motor with 3 pulls with the carb covered to choke.

I now choke about 2 half pulls and it usually starts right up.

Tim, you can't tell the difference? Compare the two of them side-by-side and it's easy, the Easy-Start types are taller. I've got 3 different brands, the Zenoah, Zippkits and the Rev-Unlimited/Gizmo. The last one is junk.

If it takes 50 pulls to fire up the engine then you're doing something wrong as most times I can get them going in 3-4 pulls at the most. It's easy to flood them or if you have the idle set wrong, that's 2 of the big things that will make starting hard. The Easy-Starts make a huge difference in starting as they'll spin the engines over faster.

I installed the Geezer Wheel on my full-mod RCMK 30cc as that puppy has a ton of compression.

I was trying to explain for someone less familiar the main difference is the pulley behind the pull start housing.. untrained eye might not see the difference when it's mounted.. regardless, ez start or standard, it should never take 50 pulls. Flooding would be most common. Airgap to flywheel could make it stiff also... Might have a bad coil... (Weak spark). Ron, I jumped the gun and ordered 3 rev unlimited kits yesterday from gizmos.. 10 minutes later mike @ redline emailed me and told me he had some in stock.. to late. What's the problems your having with the rev-unlimited units?

wow 50???!?!!? it should not take more than 10 (easy pulls) when the engine is cold, maybe even 2 pulls when warm

The engine pops when you choke it with your finger, that is when it's ready to go. A high idle is ok, and needle settings are what will make your life easy when starting

Okay folks, used to break at least two ropes a year. Always took 5-10 pulls to get my motor running when cold. Talked to Mike Butler last year at a race, After asking what my needle settings were. He told me the low needle setting was too rich. Tweaked the needles. MUCH BETTER!! Gas boat started up on the first pull this weekend. I did replace the chord on one of my starters with 2 mm double braided climbing rope (used by climbers to tie down stuff). You can also get braided kevlar from suppliers of high power model rocketry products. There is a few guys that sell 1/8" tubular braided kevlar on ebay also.

Tom,

The key when starting cold is to pull the starter slowly while choking. After each pull, check to see if your finger is wet. If so, just do a few short, fast pulls and it should light. It is very easy to over prime and flood the motors. Not to mention what it is doing to your shoulder.

Bill

My father is 84 years old and still pits for me so to make it easier on his shoulder I setup all my gas boats with the Geezer wheel. It will wear out starting belts quickly. The other factor is having a strong 24Volt system. I wear out the Hobbico starters quickly and am trying a Sullivan starter this year. This starting practice may not be NAMBA legal. See if it is allowed in your local club.

Brad

Tom, One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that similar to a weedeater is that after 'choking' like has been recommended (slow pull over with finger in the carb intake just until it is wet)...you need to make sure your throttle is open a bit. I have my gas radios setup to have a pretty high idle (this is easier if you have the 'idle up' feature on your transmitter). After a couple slow pulls after choking you should get it to 'pop' and then a good pull should start it. My CC mods usually start in two pulls following the 'choke' process. RC

I'm not a "gas guy" but what about loosening the plug like we do with our nitro motors?
default_rolleyes.gif

My father is 84 years old and still pits for me so to make it easier on his shoulder I setup all my gas boats with the Geezer wheel. It will wear out starting belts quickly. The other factor is having a strong 24Volt system. I wear out the Hobbico starters quickly and am trying a Sullivan starter this year. This starting practice may not be NAMBA legal. See if it is allowed in your local club.

Brad
I don't know what the NAMBA rules are as I'm IMPBA. As long as the stock recoil is in place you can use the Geezer wheel/collet combo.

I've got 2 starters that'll take 24 volts, Sullivan Dyna-Tron and a Model 4. Most others will take 24 volts for short bursts.

I've been trying to post a picture of my setup but this site won't accept it even taking it down to as small as I can. We see people using pull-starters on the 520cc engnes or they're on the engines for show. My shoulders are shot from my old job so I went to the Easy-Starters on all of my gas boats. That and I've got a son who's pretty good at firing them up.
default_smile.png
Speedmaster and I think Zippkits has them. Tom, If you want to try one I may have a spare.

BTW, I've tried the ones that replace the pull-starter. Don't use one of those unless you like getting your wrist slapped hard with the belt when it pops off! You'll say all kinds of bad words!

Terry, I haven't seen a gasser that has needed a compression release to get it started. Certainly if you get it flooded you can remove the plug to get the excess fuel out. A reminder when clearing out a gas engine...it is using GASOLINE and if there is a 'spark' it can easily ignite. I've seen eyebrows burned off clearing a gas engine after a 'dunk'. If I need to clear one out I usually get some help to hold the boat upside down and pull the rope very slowly. We should alway make sure a proper fire extinguisher is nearby. RC

I have 1 boat with the venturi up inside the hull to keep water spray out. I drilled a small hole in it and squirt fuel in with a syringe when the motor is cold. This works great especially if there is air in the line. Just keep squirting while its running till all the air is out.

Well... I need to find a new motor. My gas rigger is looking good in the shop.... doing nothing.

Well... I need to find a new motor. My gas rigger is looking good in the shop.... doing nothing.
Okay , your busted-

1) Having issue's with the gas boat-

2) Operate a Nitro site -

3) Need gas help,

4) Start gas Forum - wait
default_rolleyes.gif
default_cool.png
default_cool.png
default_tongue.png

Congrats , you have successfully accomplished being a rookie gas boater in 4 easy steps
default_laugh.png

this is what I do to start my cc 260 beast motor

first put your finger in carb throat and pull rope easily to choke the engine

then when you see fuel on your thumb , pull rope out easy til you hear a pop ,

when you hear the pop give it one hard jerk-pull and it should start up.

ray whats with the comment.

Joe at Zippkits seems to have a nice engine as I just bought one but right now, no hull to drop it in. It's been pre-run so the needles have been adjusted and I'm guessing, tossed on a Dyno but don't quote me on that. I tossed the choke and filled the holes plus removed the venturi. An Easy-Start comes with it. Also an aluminum carb isolator block which you never see on a "stock" engine.

Put an Octura V-967/3 on it for a good place to start. You can't go wrong with one of Joe's pipes either if you need one. Call him.

Tom I have an engine for ya. do you have a good pipe? what mount is boat set up with? do you want to use a belt start? do you have 24v starter? Give me a few answers and I'll get it set up right for you and send it on. Once you get it in the boat we'll get on the phone and I'll give you some instruction.

mb

So I was hard up on cash and sold the engine/pipe/header/mount

but still have the boat. I was hoping someone had a used one for the 50-75$ range just so I can get some experience. It has one odd requirement...... I made my tub 4" wide cause I thought it looked cooler....

Back