Stupd gas boat question..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasted wages

Supporting Member
I have two gas boats...1 cracker, 1 mono...
I see a lot of guys tie a knot in the pull start rope just below the handle and let it flop around in the boat.... why ?
What is the logic behind this ?

I've seen the starter handle come off of yard equipment engines and the rope was pulled all the way inside the starter assembly. Many put a knot in the rope to prevent it from being pulled all the way in to make the repair easier
That makes sense... I figured there had to be a reasonable explanation...I guess my boats have no clearance issues like a rigger might..but I've seen people still do it on monos etc.

That makes sense... I figured there had to be a reasonable explanation...I guess my boats have no clearance issues like a rigger might..but I've seen people still do it on monos etc.
Yeah, I try to set engines up the same way so they can be swapped between different boats fairly quick. It doesn't always work but I do this whenever I can. Stuff like carb linkages, fuel nipple direction, coil location, motor mounts, iso blocks, etc. The same goes for nitro engines. I never really thought about the knot in the cord but it doesn't hurt. All those little things add up to time if you want to test or swap things around, especially at a race.

Brian

Last edited:
Also If you ever have a engine kick back on you it will yank your hand into the engine and also can put a nick in the boat as it slaps back down in the boat. We have had it happen a couple of times now. I wondered if the knot would help this. That was a good question you asked because I was curious as well.

We use a zip tie as well. I can remember way back when on our whiplashes, my dad used to cut the cowl and have the starter handle exposed lol. Go into the pits, prime it, button it up and you're first in the water. One of the glaring drawbacks is if you ever let go of the handle it'll come back with some surprising haste. 🤣
I personally don't tie a knot . I use a cable tie ..... cuz removing the knot if you need to........ is a pain in the a@@.

Alex

Latest posts

Back