Finishing Resin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_nemesis

Hey guys, decided to seal up my little rigger w/ finishing resin only. Probably going to use two coats and call it quits. Anyone use this stuff - have any luck, how good is it @ keeping the wood watertight ???

Hey guys, decided to seal up my little rigger w/ finishing resin only. Probably going to use two coats and call it quits. Anyone use this stuff - have any luck, how good is it @ keeping the wood watertight ???

Hey Mark....Are you talking about polyester resin or epoxy resin? I use epoxy resin because I also think it is lighter but it is also more flexible than poly resin. Try to put on 2 thin coats. More is not better in this case. Good luck and huge roostertails!!!

Hey Mark....Are you talking about polyester resin or epoxy resin? I use epoxy resin because I also think it is lighter but it is also more flexible than poly resin. Try to put on 2 thin coats. More is not better in this case. Good luck and huge roostertails!!!

I'm talking about the thinner two part epoxy resin, tends to soak into the wood more than just regular epoxy and spread more easily, but you don't really get the glass like finish that just regular 30 min. epoxy leaves behind !

I'm talking about the thinner two part epoxy resin, tends to soak into the wood more than just regular epoxy and spread more easily, but you don't really get the glass like finish that just regular 30 min. epoxy leaves behind !
West Systems 105 resin & 207 finishing hardener is what you're looking for. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
West Systems 206 hardener & 207 finishing resin is what you're looking for. B)
Are these the right numbers? I thought 207 was a hardener that when combined with 105 resin makes a finishing epoxy.

West Systems 206 hardener & 207 finishing resin is what you're looking for. B)
Are these the right numbers? I thought 207 was a hardener that when combined with 105 resin makes a finishing epoxy.
Chuck you are correct with those. The finishing resin works nice, spreads very thin and wets out glas and cf easily. If you have enough epoxy on to have a glossy coat with the first cote, you have applied too much. Very thin coats are what you want, thick coats are very brittle.

Doug

I have used the west systems on several boats, 2 Nemesis, 1 Villian and a 21FF and really like it. The 207 hardner actually has a slight tint as well, it really brings out the rich hues of the ply.

Doug

West Systems 105 resin & 207 finishing hadener is what you're looking for. B)
Ooops, I corrected it. Need to finish morning coffee before I type I guess. :p

West Systems 105 resin & 207 finishing hadener is what you're looking for. B)
Ooops, I corrected it. Need to finish morning coffee before I type I guess. :p
It also helps toy use a hair dryer to keep the resin warm so it stays runny. I know you guys are goona say im nuts but i have used MIN Wax poly in a spray can with very good results. Sand between coats and use about 5 coats. Then if you want paint use k/b or klass kote i did a boat over ten years ago using this method and it still looks awesome.....Mike Ps another good way to seal wood is using thin ca it soaks in and seals. I know you die hard guys may think my ways on this are wrong but for a newbie its cheap effective and gets them to the water which is where we all want to be. I would not use these methods on a scale simply the cost of scale is a lot more

Right on guys, thanks for the info - what I did last night was spread on the resin and let it sit for a few, then rubbed it in really good w/ a paper towel and let dry...was going to hit it really lightly w/ some 600 grit and smooth another coat over it and see where we are. Might finish it off w/ some fuel proof heat resistant clear coat. Not worried too much about the overall outcome as long as the water doesn't soak the wood, it's pretty much a test boat anyhow.

not really related to your question but i method I've used for test boats is to use a couple of coats of Minwax Sanding sealer. Its ready to sand in 2 hours so you can completely finish the boat in one day. Sands really easy (thats what its made for) and doesn't clog the paper.

Granted you cannot soak the boat in a bucket of fuel for a week hand have it undamaged. But if you take reasonable care to not let fuel sit on it or days on end it is completely fuelproof.

when you are ready to paint the boat, just wipe it down the denatured alcohol (ever clear, gem clear..etc counts) :rolleyes: to cut the oils and grease then sand and a final wpie down with alcohol again and you're ready for paint.

I've done this with several boats. I till have experimental sponsons that I just left the snading sealer on and the finish is like new after several trips to the pond.

something to consider for next time

posted by RCUK John

Wow! Someone other than me recommending Progressive Polymers products! I've recommended these products for quite a while now. I use the thin Low V epoxy for sealing and wetting out lightweight glass cloth. So far this stuff has done a wonderful job for me.

I've never used West Systems products but I'm sure that they're top of the line. They are also quite pricey and I don't like the funky mix ratios, i.e. 5:1 :eek: . You'd better buy their "metering" pumps as well or you could really screw this ratio up! 1:1 or 2:1 (like my Low V) is much more forgiving for inaccurate measurements especially when working with very small quantities!

Before I get flamed on the West Systems, I agree that they are a great product and you can usually get them locally if you have a marine store nearby.

posted by RCUK John

Wow! Someone other than me recommending Progressive Polymers products! I've recommended these products for quite a while now. I use the thin Low V epoxy for sealing and wetting out lightweight glass cloth. So far this stuff has done a wonderful job for me.

I've never used West Systems products but I'm sure that they're top of the line. They are also quite pricey and I don't like the funky mix ratios, i.e. 5:1 :eek: . You'd better buy their "metering" pumps as well or you could really screw this ratio up! 1:1 or 2:1 (like my Low V) is much more forgiving for inaccurate measurements especially when working with very small quantities!

Before I get flamed on the West Systems, I agree that they are a great product and you can usually get them locally if you have a marine store nearby.
NO!! Just saying there are two sites with some useful READING!!

posted by RCUK John,

NO!! Just saying there are two sites with some useful READING!!
Okay, just me recommending them :D . You're right, there is plenty of reading on that site!

Well....my second coat of resin went on last night, and w/ a little fine 600 grit wet sanding the finish came out pretty good, some tiny bubbles here and there but nothing that can't be sanded off. Overall, the resin worked fine and really easy to use. Boat looks shiny and waterproof - guess we'll find out when I throw it in the drink !!! I'll have some pics of the completed boat in my forum this afternoon, try not to knock it too hard, it's my first outta the box build and for a newb, not too shabby I guess :p

Latest posts

Back