Finishing Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jydracing

Supporting Member
Hi All I have a frend that is not on the internet So iI am saking the Question for him. He has three rigger Kits and was wanting to know What is the best way to Finish them. He was wanting to leave them the the natural wood finish. What would be the best way to clear them Thanks Jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DuPont automotive clear. I'll thin it 100% with laquer thinner and brush on a coat to seal the wood, it soaks in deep and dries over night. Sand and repeat. That should give a real good base to spray on 3 coats of the same clear that's not thinned. It will stand 70% fuel when cured and show all the pretty wood. I've tried all the epoxy coatings, but this is what works best for me.

mb

I use west system,brush one thin coat on and when it drye's take a razor blade and scrape it to a smooth finish and than do it again.When this is all done I spray PPG 2021 clear.

Dave Roach

I use almost the same system as Dave Roach. I sand the boat as smooth as I can get it, then put a coat of West Systems on the entire surface using my fingers or a razor blade. I wipe the surface off with a clean rag BEFORE the West Systems starts to dry. There is very little West Systems left, just enough to fill the grain and a little on the surface. I usually put on another coat, after the first coat dries, the same way and wipe it dry. After the West dries, I sand it with 320 and spray Imron Clear. You don't want to use too fine a sandpaper as the paint won't stick very well. The clear paint will fill the sandpaper marks well. I do the same thing with color paint and it works equally well. I makes for a great surface finish and you have not put much weight on in epoxy. Works great. My last 20 hydro was 8 years old and in good shape with this system.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the the same system as Mr. Davis and Mr. Roach, It has worked well on all my hydro's. They all still look great and with stand all the nitro you get on them.

Cliff

This boat was sealed with System 3 epoxy using the scraping method and then painted with orange dyed PPG clear.

HPIM1475.JPG

Latest posts

Back