Fiber tuned-pipe resin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,

Yep muffled...

Oh and the need for mufflers??? Mufflers are not mandatory in the US or Australia. The noise limits are mandatory. If your boat is under without a muffler it is legal.

But you can be too quiet.... like my 'stealth 45' hydro... i couldnt tell if it was running on the start table with all other boats on the water!!!

EMS 'whisper' Racing

Craig,

With a Bolly on my 45 it was legal without the muffler, but I very much doubt the P-92 would be legal. With twins, no chance!!!! :eek:

From the listbot I understood that under IMPBA that you need to make an effort to silence the pipe rather than a db limit. NAMBA you would know much better than me.

Actually with my single rigger I could not hear it with all the twins..... I was looking at the smoke coming out of the pipe on the start table!

Nitrocrazed racing: I can hear the water slapping the hull over the engine noise....

Ian,

NAMBA is definitely a noise level. I thought IMPBA were looking at the issue but basically left it to the clubs to impose restrictions based on their likelyhood of having noise complaints... old IMPBA efforts to silence the engine means a nitro pipe instead of a megaphone as far as I knew. :eek:

There was a heated debate to get a 'national' noise regulation across the US... for that matter to have identical rules!!! Dont know exactly where this got to...

EMS Racing Worldwide

OK, so after doing some searching I've located at least 7 differant types of vinylester resins, some designated as fire retardant. The one thing I couldnt find online is a local source. Am I limited to online purchase or do you know where this stuff can be had in local stores?(I.E. marinas, auto parts stores)

Interesting stuff. Probably already high enough temperature rating to make a carbon fibre composite conrod, I wonder what sort of temperature would be needed to make a cabron fibre piston? ;D

Ian.

Ian,

have you been sniffing that nitro a little too much???? I think a composite conrod would last around 2 seconds in our engines....

Craig

Craig,

Hehe, actually it's the methanol that is absorbed forming formaldehyde that sends you mad..... :p

I thought about this years ago, but never really persued it due to the temp limitations of the epoxy. I would make one with a continuous carbon tow wrapped over bushes at either end in a filament winding type operation. The rod would probably have to be a similar size and volume to an alloy rod to get enough strength, but for it's weight carbon is stonger than steel.

Might make one for my old vavola one day. Dont know till you try! ;D

Ian.

Back