FE tunnels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SST120racer

Short and sweet. I am a long time nitro sport runner and full scale OPC tunnel racer. We moved and our new neighborhood has a super water retention pond, new neighbors don't groove on nitro except on Saturdays when they can't hear us over all the lawnmowers, weedwackers, and leaf blowers being used. I am working on some options to more effectively quiet a nitro setup, but in the mean time my boys are pestering me to death to go boating so FE it is. I picked up a TS2 for me with a UL1 motor and ESC on an REK mid section to a Hijack setback running a worked GR 42/55, guy who built it is in to FE riggers and quickly lost interest in a hull that would turn both ways. Once I got the CoG right and raised the motor this is a super sport running combo, +-40mph, good run times, and nothing gets hot. Now I just need to put together a couple FE tunnels for my boys. We have a pair of Dumas 3.5 ABS Hotshots one of which is NIB and one which got run very little. I am thinking the OSE mini outboard http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=OSE-80980 might make nice sport runners for kids on those hulls. I couldn't find much information on them with a search. Who has tried them? Setup tips? How about a motor swap to something more like 2000KV? I am thinking my littlest guy would then be able to learn on 2S. Motor physical size? Motor shaft diameter? Mounting pattern? or better yet a good candidate motor? Prop selection? I probably need to keep the youngest on carbon for now as he still finds the bank from time to time.

the abs hotshots aren't the best "learner" boat, imo. they are fairly short, prone to barrel rolling with throttle input (even with a stock 3.5 k&b/12mm crank), & the lack of sharp edges from molding hold them back. if you can find wood ones, they would be much better. more ts-2's would be a better option. there are better hulls than these, but for learning with, $ is also a consideration. i feel the abs hotshots might be disappointing enough to possibly make your sons lose interest. they don't need full tilt $300 "race" hulls (yet), but start them out better.

the abs hotshots aren't the best "learner" boat, imo. they are fairly short, prone to barrel rolling with throttle input (even with a stock 3.5 k&b/12mm crank), & the lack of sharp edges from molding hold them back. if you can find wood ones, they would be much better. more ts-2's would be a better option. there are better hulls than these, but for learning with, $ is also a consideration. i feel the abs hotshots might be disappointing enough to possibly make your sons lose interest. they don't need full tilt $300 "race" hulls (yet), but start them out better.
The one that has been run has CF running pads, squared edges, and stumble blocks. The blueprinting solved most of the handling problems but they were too short to handle the usual ragged water at our lake house. This new pond is protected and almost flat even in a stiff breeze, I think they will be fine here. We plan on going back to nitro if I can mitigate the noise problem, so FE is interim solution to get on the water. TS3s are stupid cheap but almost twice as heavy as the Hotshots so I doubt the OSE mini outboards would be a good choice on them.

ok, if they have been blue printed & have nice flat,square ride pads installed you should be ok. just didn't want the boys to be disappointed. there was an article somewhere on the net by jerry dunlap, describing how to "fix" the abs version. i know it included sheeting the inner sponson side in the tunnel & adding ride pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send JD a pm. I bet he will answer it if possible. I've sent him a couple pm's and always got an answer.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14552__Hornet_Formula_1_Tunnel_Hull_with_540_Outboard_Motor_R_C_Racing_Boat_750mm_.html

After getting this for my grandson I eventually replaced it with a .21 size Vision. The problem with a small light tunnel even on 2 or 3S is the start up torque. Kids don't regulate throttles well and the boat launches itself upside down due to instant power. I have not seen the lower that OSE has but in my opinion I would recommend a TS3 with an OS lower a T-120 ESC and something in a 28-36mm ,under 1 watt motor at 1200-1500 kv and run 3 or 4S. The boat will be seaworthy and not fast enough to get into trouble. It will also be easily adapted to something like an AQ 2030 which will get into the high 40's when your boys are ready. The OS lower is bulletproof and has the best prop shaft going. You will also use popular .21 props that will adapt to more power and speed that your kids will evolve to. 4S with low KV's will give you long run times and no heat problems. A little more money upfront will save you in the long run as you will replace the smaller boat anyway.

Mic

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14552__Hornet_Formula_1_Tunnel_Hull_with_540_Outboard_Motor_R_C_Racing_Boat_750mm_.html

After getting this for my grandson I eventually replaced it with a .21 size Vision. The problem with a small light tunnel even on 2 or 3S is the start up torque. Kids don't regulate throttles well and the boat launches itself upside down due to instant power. I have not seen the lower that OSE has but in my opinion I would recommend a TS3 with an OS lower a T-120 ESC and something in a 28-36mm ,under 1 watt motor at 1200-1500 kv and run 3 or 4S. The boat will be seaworthy and not fast enough to get into trouble. It will also be easily adapted to something like an AQ 2030 which will get into the high 40's when your boys are ready. The OS lower is bulletproof and has the best prop shaft going. You will also use popular .21 props that will adapt to more power and speed that your kids will evolve to. 4S with low KV's will give you long run times and no heat problems. A little more money upfront will save you in the long run as you will replace the smaller boat anyway.

Mic
I guess I will have to try them and report back.

My guys have tons of 1/24 slot car experience so even my littlest has developed a nice smooth trigger finger. He just can't see a line through a corner yet. As a backup plan I can always combine a little exponential on the transmitter and/or a low punch setting on the esc if needed. I have seen one of the Hornets and that outboard looks like a poor quality Chinese copy of a Kyosho dolphin circa 1993. The OSE mini outboard looks to be off this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30405__Sprint_F3_Fiberglass_Tunnel_Hull_Brushless_Racing_Boat_w_Motor_630mm_.html

see here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22953__OutBoard_Motor_Set_Sprint_F3_Tunnel_Hull_Racing_Boat_630mm_.html

and here

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=OSE-80980

As was noted above, the ABS Hot Shot needs some bottom work. However, one has raced with a mod K&B outboard in our club for years. It once held the NAMBA SAW record and was second to Joe Monahan's wood Hot Shot in the 2000 NAMBA Nationals. They are fragle compared to the wood boats and are small by today's standards. Since you have two, I would consider building a battery box like the one in the pictures below and running the boats.

Lohring Miller

My son has an ABS Hotshot, the hull had been blueprinted when I got it. He has a K B outboard converted to electric with a Turnigy Typhoon T500 outrunner 1800kv on 4s, think he has an M440 prop on it but I'm not 100% sure. He only sport runs it but the boat runs and turns great. Decent run times and everything stays nice and cool. Fast enough for his first tunnel but controllable. Sorry no experience with the OSE outboard.

Send JD a pm. I bet he will answer it if possible. I've sent him a couple pm's and always got an answer.
I would be surprised if he has tried the mini outboards from OSE.
I have not tried the OSE mini outboard. Looked at the info posted on Offshore Electric. I am reluctant to comment on the motor other than to say it sure looks cute.

JD

I would be surprised if he has tried the mini outboards from OSE.
I have not tried the OSE mini outboard. Looked at the info posted on Offshore Electric. I am reluctant to comment on the motor other than to say it sure looks cute.
JD
Did you have an article about how to improve the ABS Hotshot? One of mine is done but I still need to do the other and would be very appreciative of your input on the best course to take.

Here's my attempt hith an old hotshot F/E aquacraft 2300kv p-limited k/b out drive I couldn't get it to hook up,maybe my oun inexperience . The k/b drive is heavy, I sharpened all the edges,3-4 oz in the nose. It was fast! And a hand full to drive and would do nice wheel stands. I would under power it, I could never run it flat out for very long . I'll sell it if you want it send me a priv mass we can talk

image.jpg

Back