FE set-up for a 12 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek kustomz

Ok Guys,

I will try this here as there was no help on RRR, apparently they are too good to offer suggestions and advice because I know I am not the onle person wanting to run an FE rigger. I believe Darin is working on one but I have two 12 class riggers one of which I would like to build as an fe boat. I have at the boat and taken measurements, it appears the the boat will hold 12-14 cells and still have all of the room for motor etc.. What I would like to know is what you guys reccommend as a fast but economical setup to start with. I do not plan to race it and would actually like to run Lipo in it instead. I am not really familiar with the lipo numbers and such. I really appreciate it fellas. This is my second attempt at Fe the 1st time I was kinda turned off by the lack of "enthusiasm" from other boaters to help.

Zach

Hi Zach...

We actually need some measurements before suggestions can be made (ie length of hull etc...). Now a 12Cell boat (NiMh) is roughly equivalent to a 4S LiPo ( 4 cells in series - gives 14.8V). And depending on weights/power train/design etc... could see speeds of 60 MPH +

Ok Guys,
I will try this here as there was no help on RRR, apparently they are too good to offer suggestions and advice because I know I am not the onle person wanting to run an FE rigger. I believe Darin is working on one but I have two 12 class riggers one of which I would like to build as an fe boat. I have at the boat and taken measurements, it appears the the boat will hold 12-14 cells and still have all of the room for motor etc.. What I would like to know is what you guys reccommend as a fast but economical setup to start with. I do not plan to race it and would actually like to run Lipo in it instead. I am not really familiar with the lipo numbers and such. I really appreciate it fellas. This is my second attempt at Fe the 1st time I was kinda turned off by the lack of "enthusiasm" from other boaters to help.

Zach

From sponson LE to rear of the tub is 26". The tub is 2" wide and 25" long. Has rear sponsons under the hull, track width is 11.5". 60+ is cool with me.

This is still a better response than others, I knew there was a reason i loved this forum.

Zach

Zach..

26" boat would be a little short for a 4S setup (it would ge very squirrely at speed) IMO. I believe you need about another 6" to be suitable for 4S Fast setup.

But to help you anyway, here are some ThunderPower LiPo pack sizes:

4S 3300X - 45x140x27 (metric) WidthxLengthxThickness

4S 5000X - 45x160x35 (Metric)

NeuPower Car Pack

2S 4900 - 45x135x23 (metric)

what would you reccommend motor wise for a 4s setup. I don't have to have top speed but If i could get it in the high 50's low 60's that would be ok. I have run a hull this size up to 54 with larger planing surfaces nitro powered. This hull has a smaller planing surface but I guess we will see...

Zach...

motor's are a whole issue by themselves. It really depends on how much cash you wish to spend. Neu motors are great for going fast, but are expensive. Hackers and similar are mid-range pricing and then you can go the lower priced versions like fiegos etc..

Probably the best way to work out the motor for your application is to start with the prop you are likely to run (if you have run this hull as nitro previously, whatever worked good on that combo). Then determine the rpm range you want to run at. Brushless motors are rated by RPM/Volt (usually expressed as kv). So then you need to match the rpm's you want the prop at to the kv of the motor on a loaded pack (ie volts on a 14.8 pack will be around 13.8V at load). This gives you an idea of the kv range required for your application. Then you need to work out the wattage of the setup (motor/battery/ESC). I would imagine that you would be looking at about 70-90 Amps for good performance. So a 120A ESC gives you a little headroom. The packs I listed earlier are good for (3300 - 82A / 5000 - 125A). Then the motor is selected so it can handle that level of current running through it.

with me so far?

Yes, I follow :blink: The boat has rune very well with several props, fastest was a x637 this is mainly because I had a pretty rough hop issue (that I later found out why) with a v937x3, it would fly with that prop but at the time i wouldn't keep it in the water. I have several props that go well on the boat 35mm to 40mm. At this time I fall in the Fiego range :lol: and I could muster up enough for a good speedo. Just have to paint some more boats. I would like a good bit of run time, so I would like to try and shoot for the 5000 pack.

Zach

First off, no reason to bash us electric guys on rrr. There is no room for that when our hobby is as small as it is already. Posts get pushed out of the way pretty fast sometimes. If you look i have posted about you boat on the other forum.

Andrew,

I appologize, and thank you for your response. It just seems as though it is harder to get help on the specialized FE forums than it is somewhere else. Not only was it on rrr it was also on ose. The only reason i even said anything was because I tole someone i was interested in the stuff they mentioned in my thread, asked them for pics and still nothing, 3 days later. Again i appologize it just seems as though you all are not willing to help. The lack of help was why I quit FE the 1st time. I can come here or go to jims ask a question about my nitro or gassers and BAM i have help. I WANT to try FE again and have decided to give it another chance, but you all do not seem as though you want to keep me there..

Zach

Zach...

there are always lots of different ways to skin a cat. Likewise with electric boats. Check back on the RRR thread, there is some good info there now.

Tony

Well i feel bad and I cannot speak for anyone else since i do not associate myself in anyway with any of the people on any of these forums besides on the forums,,,,,anyway. Did you get a chance to read the post at all. If you still plan on running the .12 rigger are you going to mount the motor in the same spot as the engine. Here is the plans for a boat close to the same size as .12 riggers

Zach,

Lets see if I can help a bit. That hull is about the size of our 2S LiPo boats that run in the high 50's.

2S2P battery setup:

Feigao/Nemesis 6L w/cooling jacket (10 oz motor)

Castle Creations Hydra 120 ESC

any 20C+ discharge rate LiPos 2S2P 4100+mah cells (8200+mah total)

Start with that x637 and work up from there checking temps along the way.

Should spin it in the high 20K range.

OR if you want to go 4S:

Feigao/Nemesis 8XL w/cooling jacket (13 oz motor)

Castle Hydra 120

any 20C+ 4100+mah 4S pack

same starting prop

Again will spin in the high 20K range but will ultimately turn a bit bigger prop.

Ultimately the only difference is the slightly larger motor on the 4S system. I would consider these both sport setups, solid performance in the high40's/low 50's and reliable.

Hope that helps.

Thats what I am lookin for. I am just building it to have something to do when i get p***ed at my nitro boats, juat a little sport runner thats reasonably fast. I was at the pond last sunday and lost a pipe, and so on just a bad day at the pond and a fella breaks out his electric boat and just pulls the trigger..... you know where it goes from here :rolleyes:

Zach

Thats what I am lookin for. I am just building it to have something to do when i get p***ed at my nitro boats, juat a little sport runner thats reasonably fast. I was at the pond last sunday and lost a pipe, and so on just a bad day at the pond and a fella breaks out his electric boat and just pulls the trigger..... you know where it goes from here :rolleyes:
Zach
Zach,

Make sure and post some pics as you do this... I have a Bantam 4 .12 sized rigger that is about 26.5" long with a 25" tube... 2.3" wide... I'd be SHOCKED if I could even get 2S2P in there... but I suppose it's possible... I'd be interested to see how you do 4S...

No guarantees that it will all fit. That's just a pair of known power systems. Realize that this will probably be roughly 2 pounds of power system.

I will Darin. I am interested I knew that you had purchased one. Are you having space issues??? I am still waiting on mine to get here, but from the copy of the plans that I have of it the 4s setup should fit no problem. Is it different from the plans???

Back