FE 1/8th Hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullDogRacing

Hi Guys

Just wanted some input in regards to FE Hydros

I have One of Berts Twin wing sitting here for some time now and got to thinking that maybe it would be a good idear to build it as a FE in stead of Nitro.

The question's that come to mind first is would it be posible due to the amount of room in the hull.

Aslo what sort of extra cost would FE be over Nitro.

Now I know 0 about electric gear so should I keep away or is it a good idear.

why Im thinking FE over Nitro is that this boat is my kids and with FE they can stop and start at will(Not in racing) where nitro is go---go--go all the time and that might worry them . THANKS Brad

Brad- If you go down the path of FE these are the rules that RCU has in place to keep cost down and the hulls are as fast or faster than 1/8 nitro..

Marty

Power and Drive Train:
Motor:
-NEU 1527 1.5Y
Experimental options for 2013
-Scorpion 4035-800
-Turnigy SK3 Fandrive- 3994-850kv
Batteries:
-8S1P configured Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery(s).
The total capacity of batteries in
the allowed chemistries and configurations shall no
t exceed a total capacity rating of
6,000 mAH. Only LiPo batteries with a manufacturer’
s minimum discharge rate of 30C
constant but no higher than a 65C constant shall be
allowed. There is a maximum
$200.00 msrp per set limit.
Speed Controller:
-Any speed controller may be used as long as it is
a minimum of 150Amps.
-For safety, anti-spark resistors are advised on al
l speed controllers.
Propeller:
-Any propeller may be used up to a maximum of 57MM
diameter.

GdAY Guys

Thanks Heaps for that Marty

I know the NEU motors are a good brand but what would be the go for a speedy I thought Castle Creations were good to but I have seen of late guys out here Bagging the Poo Poo out of them .Thanks Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

Big electrics are HUGE fun.

8-10s in a 1/8th hydro will be fantastic. Very quick. If you pick the motor ESC combo correct you will be able to run:

12s/1p lipo for racing in Aus rules

And 6s/2p for you kids to play around with. Just prop change.

Keeping in mind that you can run 7-12s in the Aus EC sport hydro class. Therefore if you decide to run 8s, you could alternatively run 4s/2p for the kids.

I like the 1527 motor option. There is also a 1530 option that would work. The 2215 series is also a well known 10-12s race setup. Bit more weight though.

ESC - good news so far from swordfish 240amp and the bigger 300.

MGM are great but price will hurt bad.

Castle - I don't run them as I just don't trust them enough due to bad luck.

Will b good to see your build of this boat. There are a few 1/8th being build in south east Queensland. Might be an increase in EC sport hydros on the track over the next 12 months

Dave

Where is the best place to get the electrics from Dave? Is there somewhere in Aus? I have been looking at doing a 1/8 scale electric also.

i've watched both john finch & don ferrette race their fe 1/8 scales here in d-12 this season. stupid fast & seem more stable than nitro. maybe due to more weight, or easier balace point adjustment? do it!! they work well, imho.

My nitro conversion of a very old boat is here under Electrifying Adventures in Scale. I am planning to simplify the sealed box arrangement and it now runs a Neu motor. It still holds the NAMBA T and 1/8 scale two lap records as well as winning the 2012 Electric Nationals.

Lohring Miller

My nitro conversion of a very old boat is here under Electrifying Adventures in Scale. I am planning to simplify the sealed box arrangement and it now runs a Neu motor. It still holds the NAMBA T and 1/8 scale two lap records as well as winning the 2012 Electric Nationals.

Lohring Miller

It also won the RCU 1990 1/8 Scale Diamond Cup in Spokane, WA.

JD

Gday Guys

Thanks for all the Input Yes FE is the way to go for this build

.Wayne Talk sunday Might have to do a bulk Buy In

Brad

To be honest there is not much in AUS guys when it comes to electric suppliers. We have heaps more when it comes to gas and nitro.

RC boat bitz sell some stuff.

But I go to offshore electrics for parts usually.

Motors I have got direct from Neu or castle creations.

My MGM esc, direct or second hand, same with my schulze controllers.

I run the entropy lipos Wayne sells. Beating the heck out of then and they are going great.

Dave

Gday Guys

What would you say is the pick of the brands to use

Motor NEU--
Speedy ??

I dont mind spending the extra dollars if I know its not going to give me Problems .Thanks Brad

Brad,

My pic in motor for huge range of options with cell choice and make it sport to full out race would be Neu 2215/2y - 750kva.

Run on 12s will do 33k RPM

Huge prop range and you can run on 6s and still get 75kmph (seen it in a rigger until owner built up confidence for 10s back before we could run 12s)

If you can get a second hand schulze then grab it. If not, then I would go for Swordfish ESC. Maybe the 300amp version.

Dave

So what hull is the most popular for Fe 1/8th scale hydroplane racing in the USA?. H and M, ML Boatworks, Phil Thomas? When i say most popular i mean easiest to set up, handles well, ease of battery fitment, wing or no wing?

Thanks

Trev

Good question Trev, I look forward to seeing what others have to say also. I personally have a PT lobster hull which looks like it won't be suitable, a thunderboat reproductions T4 Budweiser, plus some ML kits, still undecided which way to go myself

Wayne. If I could make a suggestion on your Thunderboat reproductions T-4. Make sure you reinforce the seems. They split very easy.

My ML Boatworks FE 2006 Elam-
& it hauls the mail, handles great, too (even without the wing :rolleyes: ). the coolest/funniest part is watching a fe scale dropped in, sit motionless & then do a WHEELIE when john f. nails it :lol: . not something you would expect....don either has his controller set up "softer" on launch, or john just likes to entertain us.

So what hull is the most popular for Fe 1/8th scale hydroplane racing in the USA?. H and M, ML Boatworks, Phil Thomas? When i say most popular i mean easiest to set up, handles well, ease of battery fitment, wing or no wing?

Thanks

Trev
I'm very pleased with how my ML Boatworks kit worked for FE. The advantage with wood is it's far easier to make mods as you build to accomodate FE (especially battery placement) and a number of Mike's kits are already designed for FE or mods can be done before he has the kit cut. Many of the 'glass scale hulls like Phil's or Steve G.'s don't have enough inside room due to the "inside liner" style in how they are made. The Thunderboat Reproductions hulls tend to have more interior room but will need reinforcing as previously mentioned. Haven't heard from Dick Caspari in a good while so not sure if he is even still building the T/R hulls.

Wayne. If I could make a suggestion on your Thunderboat reproductions T-4. Make sure you reinforce the seems. They split very easy.
Gday Guys

Samuel yes I did that before I sold it to Wayne as they are a very light layup so now she is good to run over anything LOL.

Look out Aussie Doug

Back