• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

epoxy thinner

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Hey I need some K/B superpoxy thinner, or something that will work with the K/B paint. This is the old formula stuff not the latest paint they sold.

Any one have at least a pint of this thinner i have catalist and colors but down to fumes for thinner.

PHIL THOMAS

how about substituting M E K? (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) I haven't tried myself, but it is a thinner for epoxy. .................just a thought as I'm half asleep wiyh a crying 1 yr. old in my lap. ;)

Mike Stewart said:
how about substituting M E K? (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) I haven't tried myself, but it is a thinner for epoxy. .................just a thought as I'm half asleep wiyh a crying 1 yr. old in my lap. ;)
Phil, concur with Mike. This happened to us many years ago.. Since my wife was (at the time) a specialty painter, we used MEK.. Works great... If you haven't used this, be careful. It's very powerful stuff, one of those items that will self combust if the circumstances are just right. Let's just put it this way, MEK will remove OLD cured K&B paint.

Mike, right with ya on the crying baby.. However, mine is 3 years old.. :(

Mark.

Phil

I tried MEK on some old K&B epoxy I had, sprayed fine for me. It didn't take much to thin to spray consistency.

Is this the same MEK that is used as a catalyst for polyester resin??, If so, just curious, what ratio are you guys putting in (ie 1% MEK). Just curious now that's all.

Mick :D

Be very careful with MEK! We used to use this stuff to clean printing press parts. It is highly volatile and is known to be cancerous.

Phil,

The ratio might not be the exact same, probably a little less MEK than the K&B stuff. I always thin paint by looking at the way it runs off my mixing stick as I pull it out of the paint. A good consistency for spraying is when the paint runs off the stick and begins dripping paint in drops. Thats how I was told to do it by an old car painter from back in the day, always worked for me, same mixing style with any kind of paint I plan to spray with, be it on a R/C boat, car, Harley, or real boat. Just thought I'd share about 3 bucks worth of my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Oh yeah when cleaning up with MEK if you get it on your hands, within about 5 minutes you can taste it. mmmmmmmmm :huh: :eek: :p

Hi Guys

Just a small comment - MEK is very dear, very dangerous stuff. Always wear eye protection as an accidental exposure to your eyes will cost you your vision. I would suggest that it is not a good candidate for spraying without a full face mask and external air supply. You could try automotive laquer thinner as it is similar formula to the normal thinner, you can also use straight methanol. I would not have posted on this but the talk about using MEK worries me a bit as I wouldn't risk it and wouldn't like to see a member of this forum harmed inadvertantly.

GT :(

OK thanks for the warnings ill still try to find some kb thinner I use it mainly for clean up, ill bum some good auto paint thinner to try out also..

Phil, you can find the epoxy thinner at Home Depot. They sell it for bath tubs and it's in the exact same can as K&B. I can't remember the name but I've used it in the past with good results. Bob Finn would remember the name.

if you need something for clean up why not use acetone.

everything causes cancer these days so i figure try my best not to get stuff on me but if i do its not the end of the world, im a painter so its not like im gonna live forever anyways. :blink: :blink: :blink: ah so many fumes :lol: :D :lol:

MEK won't cost you your vision unless you spray it in your eyes. :blink: Also I was assuming that anyone spraying paint would be wearing a respirator. Half mask type is fine as long as you have some ventilation. Outside air system not necessary.

Joe I believe the Epoxy thinner at Home Depot you speak of is called M.E.K. ;)

Lacquer thinner will NOT work unless you are trying for crinkle finish.

I would never post if I thought it would harm someone. I was just assuming that one spraying paint would be cautious and safe. Also 60% Nitro fuel will do just as much harm to your eyes as would M.E.K. I had a line pop off when filling my hydro a couple years back, within 10 seconds eye swelled up like a cauliflower..mmmm ...not good. Ended up Blind in that eye for 2 weeks. So yes use caution when using M.E.K. as well as ANY OTHER chemical.

Hi Guys

I am not suggesting that anyone would post something harmful here I am just suggesting that of the possible solvents used MEK is not a good one to use. It will blind you through direct exposure to organic material (eyes) as it is an oxidising agent, & yes so is nitro. Anything in the keytone group is particularly harmful. It is quite possible to inadvertantly wipe chemicals like this in your eyes accidentally. Let's face it no one sets out to blind themself. There are other solvents that would work well - I don't understand the reference to lacquer thinner as it is pure hydrocarbons based on acetone & toluol (another nasty chemical). Other than not having any alchohol in it it sounds like very similar stuff to me. You can use pure methanol to thin with. We all risk our helath when spraying in garages and the exposure to our eyes is almost guarranteed if we don't use a full face respirator - why do you think most good paint shops use them now even though they have move away from isocyanate catalysts. All I suggest is be very cautious whenever airborne vapour is the outcome of whatever we are doing.

Here is some info for those interested.

Chemical properties:

Methyl ethyl ketone is soluble in water, alcohol, ether, acetone, and benzene. It is lighter than water and may be expected to float while rapidly dissolving. It is incompatible or reactive with strong oxidizers, amines, ammonia, inorganic acids, caustics, copper, isocyanates, and pyridines. Synonyms for methyl ethyl ketone are 2-butanone, ethyl methyl ketone, methyl acetone, and MEK.

Idenfication:

Chemical Name: Ethyl Methyl Ketone

Regulatory Name: Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Formula: (C4H8O)

DOT Label: Flammable Liquid

CAS: 78-93-9

STCC: 4909243

CHRIS: MEK

UN Number: 1193

Health effects:

Methyl ethyl ketone can cause human health effects through inhalation, ingestion, and contact with the skin. Since methyl ethyl ketone is a natural component of some foods, ingestion of food is also a source of exposure. Its health effects are similar to but more irritating than acetone (EW, January, 1992). Its vapor is irritating to mucous membranes and conjunctiva. Exposure can irritate the eyes, nose, and head; it can cause dizziness, fatigue, memory alteration, dermatitis, headaches, nausea, paresthesia of extremities, diminished vision, acidosis, and vomiting. Prolonged exposure can cause central nervous system depression.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add earlier, a good thinner for epoxy that I personally use is Isopropyl alcohol (I use it at work to clean circuit card assemblies and other electronic bits). Works a treat, thins the mix really well and can also be sprayed.

Mick

Back