Prop re-pitching and casting.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got some reports from the Legg Lake SAW event of strength problems with beryllium copper props. We have run props with cut and brazed blades on gas boats. However, we have broken blades on thinned props on electric boats. Be careful.

Lohring Miller
Lohring:

We had 2 props break right at the Barr cut and it broke off the tip of one blade. Both on a .21 boat (H7) and also on a 45 boat.

Got it cleaned up a couple days ago, too bad winter's come early this year (-13C the other night) and the water's hard.

Spring's just around the corner! :)

DSCN2699.JPG
Want me to test it on my 67 boat?

I ran my Picco 45R Super Modified by Frank Orlic and I never seen my torn prop 1662 profile cut 60mm "FAST" so I still figure out what cause???

Got it cleaned up a couple days ago, too bad winter's come early this year (-13C the other night) and the water's hard.

DSCN2699.JPG
Want me to test it on my 67 boat?
Thanks for the offer but I'd feel awful if it threw a blade and tore up your boat, won't be long til the water softens up again. Did think about going to Huntsville this weekend but it's a long trip, especially on Thanksgiving weekend...

DSCN2699.JPG
You're giving away the secret numbers!!
Secret code numbers! :lol: Wait til you see the ones on the prop I'm doing for Mikey Ross! :huh:

I ran my Picco 45R Super Modified by Frank Orlic and I never seen my torn prop 1662 profile cut 60mm "FAST" so I still figure out what cause???
Been there, dun that, too much power Allen! :unsure:

Water up here finally softened up and I got to run my prop, eureka, it held! Only got 4 runs and just over 24K but so far so good.
default_smile.png

Engineering has enough confidence they've figured it out that they made a new prop for Mikey Ross' Nowicki hydro:

DSCN2777.JPG

DSC_0120.jpg

Terry,

Looks good !!!

I recently did some propellers made out of Chrome Moly that were very easy to work on,

And they were tough as anything out there after heat treating. A lot of time in these little

Custom propellers. Weather looks a little wet this weekend in Flint?

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Terry,

Looks good !!!

I recently did some propellers made out of Chrome Moly that were very easy to work on,

And they were tough as anything out there after heat treating. A lot of time in these little

Custom propellers. Weather looks a little wet this weekend in Flint?

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks!

Told Mikey Ross he'll need something stout to pull 7" of LE pitch, says he's up to the challenge.
default_tongue.png

Still early but don't think the weekend's gonna be too bad, that big low that's been causing all the havok is checkin' out and there's high pressure out west so keep your finger's crossed...
default_smile.png

Ok Terry, what am i seeing here? Are these more blade brazed on? If you are putting out enough hp to go 100mph these blades probably won't hold. Lets talk and cast those babies out of something that will take the punishment of those speeds!! 586-747-2372

Thanks, John

Ok Terry, what am i seeing here? Are these more blade brazed on? If you are putting out enough hp to go 100mph these blades probably won't hold. Lets talk and cast those babies out of something that will take the punishment of those speeds!! 586-747-2372

Thanks, John
Braze held up OK but didn't allow proper heat treating afterwards. Was gonna have one tig welded but with all the work involved making a one-off prop decided to look onto casting.

Lucky to find a local jeweller to give it a shot, should have some wax this week.

Had a good look at the mold you and Ron did years ago, thanks. Made me decide to finish the hole and d. dog slot post casting.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Terry,

We cast the hole undersize with a quartz pin as a core and then reamed to size after casting, this gave much improved size and hole location control. I haven't found my log books yet but I know they are here. If you need the styling clay or the infared oven to heat it you can borrow mine. The styling clay is what makes the mold possible and will maintain the wax models integrity. I also have all the clay modelling tools you'd need. We could work out a place to meet.

John

Back