Electric newcomer looking for a hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foolwitools

Hi Guys!

I'm thinking about trying a serious electric boat. Warning: The only experiance I have with electric anything is playing with an RC-10 buggy..........

I was looking at Traxass Villian EX. Looks like a nice setup for around $300.

I really want something a little more serious than an abs hull RTR..........

Then I saw this on eBay. (Item number: 5913495876) I read an article about Mr. Fuller and his stuff and I like the El Lobo design............

My question is: is the glass hull El lobo and all the extras offered on eBay a good buy @ $550, or am I better off calling Mr Fuller and ordering up a new carbon fiber hull and starting fresh? Or is this too much boat for an electric beginner ( I've run nitro outboards for a while).

Question #2. Is the carbon fiber hull that much better than the glass hull? Not being a serious racing type, would I notice the difference?

Thanks for your input.

Bob the Fool :blink:

Bob, are you in the Chicago. IL area?

If so, my suggestion is that you go to Batavia, either today or tomorrow. Right at Depot Pond, in downtown Batavia, there is a race this weekend. I couldn't make it there myself but, there will be 20-30 racer there.

Print out a copy of that ebay ad and take it along. There will be lots of guys who run monos (probably some El Lobos, too!) ask around and get several opinions.

This is a rare chance you have, lots of racers, many different views, right in your backyard. Take advantage of it. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

By the way, be sure to talk with Ed Hughey and take a look at all of his wood boats. The man is a legend.

KW

Wow, a carbon fiber hull, thats pretty crazy. Id look at mhz racing for hulls, not too bad of prices, and the hulls look pretty top notch in quality. But myself have never seen one of them live.

I think that if you get the villian you will be disapointed in the speed compared to a nitro. If it were up to me id get a mhz hull, and a aveox or hacker brushless. Possibly get a huge hull and throw two of them in the sucker! :p

I forget, is the villian EX the 2 motor with the titans? Id sell the titans (20-30 for 2 on ebay) and the evx (70 on ebay) thats about 100 and throw in 2 brushless! I think you can buy a 200$ esc and have it run 2 motors, that leaves you to pay an estimated 300$ minues the 100 for the stock parts, you might shave it down to 200$ (wow aint i a smart guy in math?)

ABS isnt horrible on electric though because there is nothing to eat it away! Although, fiberglass is stronger but may not be needed.

Phil ;) :) B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back