Eagle Tree

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

I was wondering if any one has used on of these recorders? It looks like this would be a real good tool for tuning a boat.

They have many different systems and can even go wireless with real time read out.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/

a fella named fabrice on here as (greatout) or somthing,,, he uses this in his twin cat build.. he could probably shed some light on the subject im sure...

alden

Mike Rappold in Dallas has one set up in his .67 SG. He has put a lot of thought into the installation and it is super clean. He showed me a read out after one of his runs with it, what a cool tool.

Mike is a member of this forum.

-Buck-

I was wondering if any one has used on of these recorders? It looks like this would be a real good tool for tuning a boat.They have many different systems and can even go wireless with real time read out.

David,

They work great. As Buck mentions, I have one in a 67 outrigger. I also have one in a new 1/8th scale. I am logging rpm, cylinder head temp, exhaust gas temp, receiver voltage, rudder position, and throttle position. I do not have the wireless readout. I am not a big fan of that - personnel choice. The graphing software that comes with the logger is a little different to use. Instead I export the data to an Excel spreadsheet and graph it there there using several macros.

If you do a search on the IW website, the Eagle Tree logger has been discussed before. If you have any questions, be glad to assist.

Mike

I was wondering if any one has used on of these recorders? It looks like this would be a real good tool for tuning a boat.They have many different systems and can even go wireless with real time read out.

David,

They work great. As Buck mentions, I have one in a 67 outrigger. I also have one in a new 1/8th scale. I am logging rpm, cylinder head temp, exhaust gas temp, receiver voltage, rudder position, and throttle position. I do not have the wireless readout. I am not a big fan of that - personnel choice. The graphing software that comes with the logger is a little different to use. Instead I export the data to an Excel spreadsheet and graph it there there using several macros.

If you do a search on the IW website, the Eagle Tree logger has been discussed before. If you have any questions, be glad to assist.

Mike
Mike, it sounds like you're running the logger off your RX battery, correct? Are you using a 4-cell battery? My logger seems to not like 5-cell packs. It would be great to see pictures of your install if you're willing.

Brent

We've been using the Eagle Tree data loggers for years in everything from SAW riggers full sized boats. Our world record holding electric hydro has two Eagle Tree data loggers recording speed, position, battery current and voltage, throttle position, and motor rpm. They are complicated to use by hobby standards and delicate by full size boat equipment standards. However, if you want to understand what your boat is doing at all areas of the race course and not just the peak speed, there is no comparable system of the same size, weight, and price.

Lohring Miller

We've been using the Eagle Tree data loggers for years in everything from SAW riggers full sized boats. Our world record holding electric hydro has two Eagle Tree data loggers recording speed, position, battery current and voltage, throttle position, and motor rpm. They are complicated to use by hobby standards and delicate by full size boat equipment standards. However, if you want to understand what your boat is doing at all areas of the race course and not just the peak speed, there is no comparable system of the same size, weight, and price.
Lohring Miller
Lohring

You seam to be the person that could answer my question.

I want to build a 100 mph. hydro. the boat would hopefully come in at 4lbs or so 2c2s 10000mAh 25c bat set 2770kv motor. Is this just a dream or can it work and if so what type of amp load would I see.

I was looking at the V3 150 amp setup would this be the right one to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased an Eagle tree unit 2 years ago and never used it as I bought a Nomadio radio at the same time that had the data we needed reading out in real time as we run. The Eagle Tree has more functions but has to be downloaded into a computer after the run. They do have a unit with transmit back real time function also. On the tachometer the difference is The Nomadio requires oposite polarity on the flywheel magnets and Eagle Tree uses two also but trigger with the same polarity. We had to choose one system or change flywheels all the time. There is an optional optical (black stripe on the rotation to be measured) light trigger method on the Eagle tree but I used one like this years ago with a Tele-Tach and it never worked well.

After thinking RPM would be what we wanted we found the temperature sensors better for tunning nitro. Reading temp after the run would be ok but watching a motor heat slowly for 2-3 laps then hit the magic number and come on the pipe is helpful. Also knowing at a certain high temp your glow plug is probably gone becomes useful in tunning.

On an electric setup you could have RPM & 2 separate temp probes. Motor/Controller and or Batt?

Hope this info is useful.

Mic

I purchased an Eagle tree unit 2 years ago and never used it as I bought a Nomadio radio at the same time that had the data we needed reading out in real time as we run. The Eagle Tree has more functions but has to be downloaded into a computer after the run. They do have a unit with transmit back real time function also. On the tachometer the difference is The Nomadio requires oposite polarity on the flywheel magnets and Eagle Tree uses two also but trigger with the same polarity. We had to choose one system or change flywheels all the time. There is an optional optical (black stripe on the rotation to be measured) light trigger method on the Eagle tree but I used one like this years ago with a Tele-Tach and it never worked well. After thinking RPM would be what we wanted we found the temperature sensors better for tunning nitro. Reading temp after the run would be ok but watching a motor heat slowly for 2-3 laps then hit the magic number and come on the pipe is helpful. Also knowing at a certain high temp your glow plug is probably gone becomes useful in tunning.

On an electric setup you could have RPM & 2 separate temp probes. Motor/Controller and or Batt?

Hope this info is useful.

Mic
Thank you for the info.

I was going to use the brush less RPM module and the temp sensor's on bat and motor.

But was not sure if 150amp V3 would be big enough for my expectations.

You're seriously handicapping yourself with only 2S (7.4 volts) The rpm will be a little less than our gas boats and the current draw will be more than readily available speed controls can handle. There are no stock props I know of that have enough pitch to push a boat 100 mph with less than 20,000 rpm. Electrics can easily run 40,000 rpm and use smaller diameter props. Few model speed controls can handle over 200 amps reliably. The way to power is high voltage with lower amps. Our full sized hydro runs 133 volts nominal at around 550 amps rising to over 700 amps during acceleration. The Zilla speed control is rated at 2000 amps and is fused at 1000 amps. We would run a higher voltage if the rules allowed it. Mike's latest G1 gas record of 107+ mph was set with a custom prop turning well over 20,000 rpm.

Lohring Miller

You're seriously handicapping yourself with only 2S (7.4 volts) The rpm will be a little less than our gas boats and the current draw will be more than readily available speed controls can handle. There are no stock props I know of that have enough pitch to push a boat 100 mph with less than 20,000 rpm. Electrics can easily run 40,000 rpm and use smaller diameter props. Few model speed controls can handle over 200 amps reliably. The way to power is high voltage with lower amps. Our full sized hydro runs 133 volts nominal at around 550 amps rising to over 700 amps during acceleration. The Zilla speed control is rated at 2000 amps and is fused at 1000 amps. We would run a higher voltage if the rules allowed it. Mike's latest G1 gas record of 107+ mph was set with a custom prop turning well over 20,000 rpm.
Lohring Miller
I probably stated it wrong still getting use to FE nomenclature. That would be 2, 2cell 10000mAh 7.4v 20c, 25c burst pac's in series this would be 14.8v total with 2770kv motor about 37000 under load?

I hope to keep the weight of rigger to about 4lbs with this set up.

14,8 V and a 2770 kV will not lead you to 100mph. You need over 45 000 rpm for a 4S hydro. How fast is you fastest boat ?

howevern the eagle tree logger will help you in finding the right optimization;

Cheers

Pierre

14,8 V and a 2770 kV will not lead you to 100mph. You need over 45 000 rpm for a 4S hydro. How fast is you fastest boat ?
howevern the eagle tree logger will help you in finding the right optimization;

Cheers

Pierre
this is my first try at FE.

That would be RPM under load over 45000 so a 50000 when making kv calculations? looking for a starting point.

would a 150amp V3 be up to the task or would I see more amps than it can handle that is my question?

David,

Mike
Mike, it sounds like you're running the logger off your RX battery, correct? Are you using a 4-cell battery? My logger seems to not like 5-cell packs. It would be great to see pictures of your install if you're willing.

Brent
Brent,

I am running the logger off a 6V receiver pack. I have not noticed any problem with this so far. I am also using the "standard" logger and not the smaller micro version. One probelm I did encounter was faulty servo operation on the rudder. After much trial and error, I traced it back to the Y harness cable. It was bad and had a high internal resistance. Since then I make my own Y harness cables. This actually has worked out better since I can now tailor the wire lengths to fit the radio box better and end up with a lot of extra wires - in an already cramped radio box space. I bought a crimping tool, connectors, and wire from the MIP.

With regards to photos, look in the user gallery photo section under my name. I has some posted there. I do not have any of the 1/8th scale installation yet. I will try to add them but bascially it is very similar.

Mike

David,

Mike

Brent
Brent,

I am running the logger off a 6V receiver pack. I have not noticed any problem with this so far. I am also using the "standard" logger and not the smaller micro version. One probelm I did encounter was faulty servo operation on the rudder. After much trial and error, I traced it back to the Y harness cable. It was bad and had a high internal resistance. Since then I make my own Y harness cables. This actually has worked out better since I can now tailor the wire lengths to fit the radio box better and end up with a lot of extra wires - in an already cramped radio box space. I bought a crimping tool, connectors, and wire from the MIP.

With regards to photos, look in the user gallery photo section under my name. I has some posted there. I do not have any of the 1/8th scale installation yet. I will try to add them but bascially it is very similar.

Mike
Thanks, Mike.

I'm using the standard logger too. I'll have to dig deeper into my battery issue. I'll check out your pictures.

Brent

Latest posts

Back