Drive shafts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

I'm sure that learning how to make "things" can be a benefit. However, the cost in time, the necessary tools, being able to find valid information & acquiring the materials is much more than most people are willing to invest. Look at this discussion as an example; what type of silver solder should be used for a cable to shaft joint; what type of flux should be used for the steels involved; how should the parts be prepared, physically & chemically; should the parts be held in a fixture; should a heat sink be used on the parts; how is the joint to be cleaned after silver soldering, physically & chemically; is there a sound way to reinforce the joint?; ETC.

JA

That's part of the learning too, when to buy and when to make. You need to find us a nice country pond so we can get together and run boats again.

mb

That's part of the learning too, when to buy and when to make. You need to find us a nice country pond so we can get together and run boats again.

mb
There is a beautiful site in Jacksonville, NC. It is located in the land fill & there are is no fishing allowed, no swimming allowed, no jet skis allowed, no grass or weeds in the water, no fish or turtles with very clean water & no houses. The 1,000 ft X 500 ft lake is surrounded by tall trees & the city has given permission for model boat use. The retrieve boat is on site. We also use Falls Lake when it is possible. Send me a private E-mail if you are interested. The new house is located in Graham, NC.

JA

Chris,

While I highly value a willingness to learn new skills and try things for the sake of trying them, I have found that, unless you are making something better than what is available on the market, it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy than to build, especially if you weigh your time against the cost of buying. What is your time worth to you?

There are, indeed, a few things I make myself, but this is only because I can't find these parts in the quality/materials I want them in, or it's a radical departure form convention and just isn't available. I have the skills and equipment. I can make about anything I set my mind to and want to commit the time to, but I buy most of my stuff. I just can't afford to make/build most of it. I know that sounds backwards, but it is what it is.

As far as using a bolt for a stub shaft, I'd strongly suggest against it. Bolts are undoubtedly the wrong material and nowhere near round or straight. Just because it says stainless, doesn't mean anything. There are about a hundred grades of stainless. Some hard, some soft. Some wear resistant, most not. The MFR's of the readily available shafts have put some considerable time into material selection. Then these shafts are precision ground so that they are close to perfectly round and straight, without which strut/transom damage and prop loss are inevitable.

Just some advice from someone who's been right where you are now.

As far as where to go for market-ready flex shafts......... While I haven't had a chance to actually try anything else since Hughey closed up shop, I am told Mark Bullard does some **** fine work. Also, as stated above, I've heard the shafts form Andy Brown and Timothy Jones are top notch, as well.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Buy a professionally built shaft = Money Saved. End of story!

WHY? Because one can not purchase the correct materials without spending a large sum of money.
This is very sound advice. The silver soldering materials in the photo would cost you more than $400.00. Silver solders can be as costly as $40.00/ troy ounce & there are many different types. A good acetylene type plumbers torch will be necessary also.

JA

But Jim it's part of the hobby to learn how to make things, I guess that's why you build everything from scratch, right?

mb
Chris Shepherd wrote: "I'm trying to save money boating and have been trying to make my own drive shafts."

I have learned to solder the Drive shafts once, after trying a lot of materials even shipped silver solder rods from England, also trying with different grades of local industrial soldering rods and fluxes, but unable to save money out of that at all. At last, I learned a little by only able to solder bronze rod for fences of my Sea Scout and Sea Queen motor cabin crusiers.

Now, happy with buying Cable Shafts from professionals for all my fast boats.

Back