does any1 have a beta idea than tape?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davo

Hey

does any1 have a beta idea than tape 4 my radio box lid to be sealed & held on. That tape is pissen me off > :(

Davo

The guys I run with don't use it.

Their boxes have window seal foam between the glass & the box, held down with about a dozen screws. Now how waterproof it actually is, is another question because I've never seen one of their boats go bottom up.

I use the window foam, and then rubber band the hell out of it down from all corners and sides. works well. takes a good dunk to get water in there.

change rubber bands tho, when they start looking crappy, they do break.

I tape all of mine with the exception of my hydro. It's a replica of the '75 Ms. Weisfields. Since I have two radio boxes I siliconed them down and added a breather on top. You'll need a breather to let the condensation out or your lid gets foggy.

People say don't do it BUT it's the only box I've never, ever had problems with, no corriding as everyone said I'd get or weak charges, etc....I open it every 6 months and then reseal it.

NT

thats the same idea i had but my pipe runs above my radio box(about 1/2 an inch) so the rubber bands may break wen runnin, but i must try it now :D

Davo

I use cheap weather strip tape. Never leaks. If your getting water in, I bet its coming from else where.

Tape is also allot faster on & off.

Mike

mine is screwed down w/ 12 screws, pain to take off but i first lay down a nice layer of vaseline and it suctions the lid and the box i can dunk my boat for however long and it does get wet at all bone dry

Seen it a few ways. My gas is held with hockey stick tape and I,m tellin ya I will swear by it. I run in the bay which is some rough waters at times and never even so much as a drop inside, It holds AWSOME, and doesn't leave any residue. If you hold it in plce with silicone and screws do yourself a favor in out a way to be able to breath when done as stated here. I use an old film top works great.

If you guys who pull the lid on and off are tired of the screws give it a try. You can usually even find a couple of different colors to go with the theme of your boat.

Oh yea I also had to elevate my lid to clear a servo arm and nada drop. Believe to guys I'm the type who test it too : :)

Isn't Hockey Tape black?? That's an interesting concept and maybe worth trying.

Also, Aluminum water heater tape works well.

Some is, but the tape I got is blue. They also had red. I got mine at the local Sports Authority. You could also check at any hockey store.

I bought some hockey tape at wally world because I heard on this board that it works real good. They had red and blue. I tried the blue and it really sucked. First time the tape got it wet it let go like water soluble glue...

The tape was "cloth" based. I did this because the new roll of Prather tape that I had bought was not working well. It kept coming off... Well I continued to use the same roll of Prather tape -some thing is better than nothing. A couple of feet into the roll the tape got back its "stick". Now it's as good as the old roll of Prather tape that I had been using before with great success.

Our old radio boxes used perspex lids screwed down, but for the seal we used rtv silicone. The silicone was applied to the boat and the lid smeared with vaseline so the silicone didnt stick to the lid. Then the screws were tightened so the silicone ended up about 1.5mm thick. The silicone was then allowed to cure for a few days, the lid removed and excess silicone cut off. We also drilled a 16mm hole in the lid and used a rubber stopper to seal this. This allowed access to the switch (mounted in the radio box) and also you could hook the charger lead for the batteries through this hole so unless you had problems inside the radio box, the lid never came off the boat. GUARANTEED 100% WATERPROOF!!! :)

Only problem is the added weight in the boat for all you speed demons... oh and I got lazy and use tape now....

EMS Racing water in the radio box?? its there to cool the servos!!!

I use 4 mm lexan as the lid and seal with a kind of window sealer. Only difference with the others is that I do not screw the cover but use an aluminium boom to press it down. This is U shaped profile with nthe outside beveled so you slide it in 2 holders: one on each side of the box. Snaps on and off in seconds.

Julius

Back