Disappointed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kish

Purchased a couple 2719 props in the spring and the I.D. of the hub on one was. 01 oversize and the other was .015
I ended up sleeving them so I could use them.
While testing a couple weeks ago I hit something and damaged one prop, so I ordered a replacement,
it's also .01 oversize!
While I'm disappointed that I have to fix this prop, I'm more concerned that someone will buy one and run it as is.
Not only will mess with your boat but it could be very dangerous.
I hope they fix this issue sooner than later!

Hub honed to straighten out, sleeve ground to fit with a light press fit.
Prop is now ready for sharpening and balancing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116_145135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230116_145135_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230821_093445_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_093445_Gallery.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 3
pretty bad when you have to hone an prop and make a sleeve.. most people don't have that capacity to do. have you let jim know he may have a problem?
Both sources I purchased the props from were informed and from what I've been told Jim is well aware.
And yes your correct, not many people have the resources to fix them.
My reason for posting wasn't to bash ABC props, i believe for the most part they are are the best props on the market.
It was more just to make sure people are aware of a potentially dangerous problem.

Last edited:
Both sources I purchased the props from were informed and from what I've been told Jim is well aware.
And yes your correct, not many people have the resources to fix them.
My reason for posting wasn't to bash ABC props, i believe for the most part they are are the best props on the market.
It was more just to make sure people are aware of a potentially dangerous problem.
This has been ongoing with ABC, hit or miss. Jim's aware but I'm not getting mixed up in the 'he said, she said' bs.

Just know that these aftermarket prop service people are batch sorting their raw orders and selling the good props to customers of their choosing and the rest of us get the scraps. I've some new, reworked props that will not take a balance without a LOT of time fixturing and indicating.
It is what it is, and greed's running rampant in this hobby/nation.

I've heard wild stories about how hubs are finish sized at ABC and process involved, but again, not getting into that in public forum.

Again, just understand that it'***** or miss....don't buy raw props, but buy them in an unblemished ABC package with the brass eye rivet...that's not just for wall hanging purposes, and your odds of getting a clean prop are better. And!...you're far better off doing your own props.

For the record, we can prove anything mentioned above without a shadow of a doubt.

Good luck!

This has been ongoing with ABC, hit or miss. Jim's aware but I'm not getting mixed up in the 'he said, she said' bs.

Just know that these aftermarket prop service people are batch sorting their raw orders and selling the good props to customers of their choosing and the rest of us get the scraps. I've some new, reworked props that will not take a balance without a LOT of time fixturing and indicating.

I've heard wild stories about how hubs are finish sized at ABC and process involved, but again, not getting into that in public forum.

Again, just understand that it'***** or miss....don't buy raw props, but buy them in an unblemished ABC package with the brass eye rivet...that's not just for wall hanging purposes, and your odds of getting a clean prop are better. And!...you're far better off doing your own props.

For the record, we can prove anything mentioned above without a shadow of a doubt.

Good luck!
I agree on doing your own props, probably ran a half dozen or so done by someone else in 35 years.
All props I mentioned were new, I've fixed them and hopefully they'll get better for others.

Tim where does a guy get those magnetics that you used on the end of bolts to hold the prop shaft & are they a certain kind? Thnx

Mcmaster-Carr should have just about any size and I believe their rare earth magnets , nothing special.
Yepper, plenty of rare earth magnets to fit jsut about anything. FAirly cheap too. I have a selection on the parts wall for cowl latches building.
Mike

Abc props are sold all over the world with different shaft diameters.he can not make props just for the usa market.we buy only a small fraction of what he sells worldwide.he can not drill a hub diameter for every different order.
I didn't know. 250 diameter was a special order????🤣🤣🤣

Good luck!
Tim....so if I get any props from Jim with brass seal and sharpen/balance for a customer how am I to reseal them....? Not practical TIM. I GET THEM AS THEY COME FROM JIM IN A BAG & LABEL I DO MY WORK REPACKAGE AND STAPLE THEM WITH LABEL & SHIP.

Tim....so if I get any props from Jim with brass seal and sharpen/balance for a customer how am I to reseal them....? Not practical TIM. I GET THEM AS THEY COME FROM JIM IN A BAG & LABEL I DO MY WORK REPACKAGE AND STAPLE THEM WITH LABEL & SHIP.

You didn't understand my comment, Alan....comprehension is everything.

Back