Digital Servos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbudpilot55

I am in the process of upgrading my servos for new boats for the 2006 season.

I generally use a Futaba 3PDF-FM radio and have 3 receivers for it. Will the new

digital servos, ie say the S9351 Digital High Torque Coreless servo work

without problems with this FM radio set, it is not a PCM. I have also upgraded to

NiMH batteries, as they seem to be lighter with higher output.

Thanks

Yes they work. No I will not use them. While they may be ok for lower speed applications the fact that upon a momentary loss of signal it can take one or two seconds for the servo to "reboot". Think about where you could be in two seconds at 80+ with no steering. Come to think of just ask Preston, he can tell you first hand. :eek:

Yes they work. No I will not use them. While they may be ok for lower speed applications the fact that upon a momentary loss of signal it can take one or two seconds for the servo to "reboot". Think about where you could be in two seconds at 80+ with no steering. Come to think of just ask Preston, he can tell you first hand. :eek:
Don't need that to happen, I think I stick with the non-digital type, just to be on the safe side. Thanks many times over brother Don, don't need to destroy a good boat, but most importantly hurt anyone in the process with a wild boat. :blink:

Don't need that to happen, I think I stick with the non-digital type, just to be on the safe side. Thanks many times over brother Don, don't need to destroy a good boat, but most importantly hurt anyone in the process with a wild boat. :blink:
Bill don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad, it's just that I've seen enough examples to make me not run them. Besides the "reboot" scenario, they don't deal with vibration real well, they can fail & often don't come back if they get wet (seen this numerous times with different brands of digitals). I know there are those having success with them but I put my faith in high power regular Futaba servos (9405, 3302, 5301) as they prove themselves time & time again. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill

I wrote a thread on this a few months ago. We all most lost a new twin at the Internats due to fire in the radio box because of a digital servo. Out of all of the years that I have been in this I have never seen anything like this. Reboot, fire, or whatever we do not need to lose control of our boats at all and I feel that if racers keep on using these servos we will see a lot more of this.

Mark Bullard

hmmmmmmmmm....I never noticed a "boot-time" :blink: :wacko: :blink: :wacko: :blink:

(Maybe you should upgrade your digital servo from good old win98 to win xp or even linux and put in a faster cpu and more ram to reduce boot-time :lol: )

Back to topic...none of my Graupner (=JR) digital servos ever failed (until today B) ) but a lot of conventional servos did, so I am satisfied with Graupner's digital ones and will use them in the future.

Just my 2 cents (and a bit of humour :) )

Robert

hmmmmmmmmm....I never noticed a "boot-time" :blink: :wacko: :blink: :wacko: :blink:
re-boot, re-aquire, re- whatever you want to call it we've seen it happen, sent Preston's Crapshooter into the shore at 80+. :eek:

You pro digital servo guys need to realize something, digital servos were primarily designed for the 3-D heli's, jets, & acrobatic planes that rely on precision silk smooth movements. That environment is a VERY different compared to what we as boaters put our servos thru. Our boats don't need anywhere near that kind of accuracy, rather just rugged dependable servos that have enough power to get you thru the corners & hold the throttle wide open. Of course your LHS or favorite supplier is going to tell you they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Which do you think they'd rather sell you, a $60 servo or a $120 one? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don is right on the mark. I have had alot of trouble with my digital servo's. I used the HiTec HS-5995TG(expensive). They twitch alot and reset all the time. I switched back to the standard high torque with no problems. I'm sending my two high priced digital servo's back to Hitec. Just my experience.

Back