DeWalt Battery Adapter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbo Whalen

Supporting Member
Hello-

Looking for a source to purchase an adapter plate to use my DeWalt 20V Max XR batteries with

the Sullivan DynaTron starter.

Also, is anyone aware of where I can purchase another button switch, other than Speedmaster,

for my Speedmaster aluminum handle?....

Thanks-

Tim

DeWalt.PNG spdsh-023.jpg SPDSH-023-SW.jpg

Hi Tim
If you use the Finer Edge adapter on the starter, it fits the Makita batteries, then there is a third party that makes an adapter to go from the Makita to the DeWalt. I checked it out a couple of years ago but didn’t move on it. Sorry I don’t have a link. If I remember right I did a search of adapters for cordless drills.
John

i run the finer edge cordless kit on my sullivan starter and use an adapter plate from ebay to use dewalt 20v batteries, didnt have good luck with the makita battery. i also got a dewalt battery base to power the inside trailer lights. all available from ebay

i run the finer edge cordless kit on my sullivan starter and use an adapter plate from ebay to use dewalt 20v batteries, didnt have good luck with the makita battery. i also got a dewalt battery base to power the inside trailer lights. all available from ebay

Interested in what type of trailer lights you are powering with 20 volts.... unless you use a voltage regulator??

Hi Tim
If you use the Finer Edge adapter on the starter, it fits the Makita batteries, then there is a third party that makes an adapter to go from the Makita to the DeWalt. I checked it out a couple of years ago but didn’t move on it. Sorry I don’t have a link. If I remember right I did a search of adapters for cordless drills.
John

Thanks, John... all of my cordless tools are DeWalt, fired by the 20v XR batteries, so I thought we might as

well run what we have. I did find some options- was easier than I thought!.... Mark S. did tell me about a place

out west that had the Makita units.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Adapter-Dewalt-Connector-Robotics/dp/B08GWZ8LR6
1.PNG 2.PNG

Thanks!

Tim

Darn I just got soaked for $150 for a Makita battery,wish I knew about the Dewalt alternative

Interested in what type of trailer lights you are powering with 20 volts.... unless you use a voltage regulator??
etrailer.com item # ull25ctvrb. i have 6 of them in my enclosed trailer with my 20v dewalt battery when i am not hooked to the truckand when i plug in the light harness to my suburban i use the tow vechicle power, 3 way switch. center off. down for dewalt battery and up for tow vechicle power. no back feed issues with the switch. i will admit that the lights are a little brighter on 20v but have had this setup for years, versitle

These pushbuttons are not made to switch starter motor loads. They are only to trigger the coil in the starter solenoid to switch the starter motor.

These mechanical pushbutton switches used with high load will always fail because of the slow make and slow break switching at the speed you push and release the button gives them time to arc up while switching.

This is why a starter solenoid is used. The contacts are huge, the wire attachments are made for heavy use and the speed at which it switches doesn't allow excessive arcing while switching.

Install a relay to switch the starter motor and you will be worlds ahead of trying to use a little pushbutton switch to try and switch 100-200 amp loads.

I stock high quality pushbuttons and Yamaha water craft starter solenoids to use on the starters I build. No failures of pushbutton switch or the solenoid.

Last edited:
These pushbuttons are not made to switch starter motor loads. They are only to trigger the coil in the starter solenoid to switch the starter motor.

These mechanical pushbutton switches used with high load will always fail because of the slow make and slow break switching at the speed you push and release the button gives them time to arc up while switching.

This is why a starter solenoid is used. The contacts are huge, the wire attachments are made for heavy use and the speed at which it switches doesn't allow excessive arcing while switching.

Install a relay to switch the starter motor and you will be worlds ahead of trying to use a little pushbutton switch to try and switch 100-200 amp loads.

I stock high quality pushbuttons and Yamaha water craft starter solenoids to use on the starters I build. No failures of pushbutton switch or the solenoid.

Thanks, Daniel....

Those Dynatron's will MAYBE see an 80 amp load under Sullivan's maximum recommendations.

The Speedmaster switch has served me well for many, many years, however, I've always gotten in the
habit of firing my engines (3.5cc- 15cc) in a decompressed state (loose plug).

I cannot justify the cost of an added component, particularly if it's a Yamaha P/N, for my use.

I've been down this road with professional Group 7 slot cars which have ridiculously high intermittent
current draw, and, yes, we've bridged with high quality, gold contact, high rating Bosch relays when
the cars were in a WOT state.

Only thing that ever stuck on me was the original rubber strip switch... my 24 volt setup using a Bosch automotive Ice cube relay has worked for years ..

I will say that I use 10 gauge 1015 primary hookup wire for all high amp draw wires.
Everything soldered and heat shrunk.

For the switch and relay control, I use 14 gauge, again all terminals soldered and heat shrunk,, Then it's all wrapped up in a loom from batteries to starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back