Delrin question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you never worked with Delrin then why did you reply a answer?

Im asking about Delrin or Delron. Not aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:
You asked if you needed to CUT THREADS FIRST, THE ANSWER IS NO.  If you compare the drill sizes used to cut or form threads, they are different.  Here are the sizes listed by Brad to form threads:

Tap drill sizes for form tapping:

#4-40 - .098-.100"

#6-32 - .122" (ideal) but a .125" will work

#8-32 - .149"

#10-32 - .177"

Now with that said, here are the drill sizes for CUT THREADS

#4-40- .0890(#43)

#6-32- .1065(#36)

#8-32- .1360(#29)

#10-32- .1590(#21)

You will notice, the cut thread drills are smaller, thus allowing removal of material to get the proper size hole and threads.  The formed threads use a larger drill to allow room for reshaping the material. 

What I wasn't sure about was which thread type is stronger, cut or formed, when it comes to delrin, not how to do it. 

Samuel,

I do not care to get into an argument with anyone about machining or threading plastic materials such as delrin. After machining & threading thousands of delrin blocks as well as various plastics used in high speed airline ticket printers, the advice I can give is the following. Tools used for plastics need to be as sharp as possible, lower cutting speeds should be used to prevent heat build up & a recommended type of coolant should be used.

"It should be noted that a tap cannot produce a class of thread, however it can produce a tapped hole within a specific product limit. Since the tap is used only in tapping a hole or producing a thread, a tap has no control over the fitting properties of the MATING EXTERNAL THREAD!!  Tap limits refer to the various SIZES of taps manufactured. A tap should be selected which will produce an internal thread within the desired limit." Tap limits are designated as L3, L2, L1, H1, H2, H3,---------H7. Each designation is a different pitch diameter, with L3 as the lowest pitch diameter & H7 as the largest pitch diameter.  Each designation can give a particular class of thread, (class 1B, 2B, 3B) with 3B as a very close tolerance when combined with a particular external thread. No spiral tap of any kind is needed for tapping delrin or aluminum in a non production environment!

Jim Allen

Samuel,

Using a form tap in Delrin naturally produces an "undersized" thread, which is EXACTLY why I use them. The material "rebounds" a bit as the tap is retracted, but leaves a thread that, while it takes a bit of extra torque, the screw can be threaded into. The end result is a very strong thread that grips the screw, similar to a Nylock nut. This is ideal for a motor mount, due to the vibration.  I make my motor mounts this way, both the 6-32 holes (tub mounting) and 4-40 holes (motor lugs), as well as my boom collars.

Have faith.  ;)

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

I have been cutting threads for all these years. I do work with delrin and have not really had an issues by cutting. Might give this a try. Old dog, new tricks comes to mind. :)

Mike,

Keep this in mind: You  will NOT satisfy a thread gage form tapping in Delrin or any other plastic. You just have to accept the fact that the threads are going to be tight on the screw, which is, at least in my case, the goal. If you are doing this on a professional level, clear the end result with the customer first. I have brought this to the attention of a couple of my customers', and they have been fine with it, and subsequently very pleased with the results. But they appreciated the head's up to know what to expect. The "Nylock effect" doesn't occur in metals, that I have seen.

For the record, I form tap everything I can. Aluminum, Delrin, tool steel, stainless, whatever. It all works... Up to a certain size. I have a 3/8-16 form tap that I use in aluminum, but it's a bruiser on the hands. They are especially nice for blind holes. Start the tap on a machine (if you can), then drive it to the bottom by hand. No tap chips to try and clear out of the way while finishing the thread depth. Truthfully, you get a better result from form taps than cutting taps, as forming the material provides a work hardened surface in the threads, better finish and more consistent pitch sizes. Not to mention the fact that form taps are far less likely to break than cutting taps, due to the lack of clip flutes. Just know that if you DO happen to break one, you're not likely to get it out by whatever means you would normally use to get it out.

One material I can tell you that does NOT like to form tap is 440 stainless. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't work. I had to learn this lesson the hard way (thank GOD for thread inserts :rolleyes: ) I also have not had the cajones to try form tapping titanium or BeCu. Otherwise, use a good tapping fluid and have at it.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I have just under drilled (like Steve W) and used a cutting tap.. years.. no failures..

Its crap i have laying around and I dont have to spend extra money on it.. or time..

Drill.. tap.. done.

Grim

Pissing match over a tapped hole eh!... winter is here!

Mike,

No pissing match. Just offering up wisdom and options for better results.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I tapped a hole and I liked it!
All this about drilling a hole and threading it. Let's move on to something more challenging like s bends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I tapped a hole and I liked it!
All this about drilling a hole and threading it. Let's move on to something more challenging like s bends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

who would use a silly...............................................LOL

Good one Mikey!

I have just under drilled (like Steve W) and used a cutting tap.. years.. no failures..

Its crap i have laying around and I dont have to spend extra money on it.. or time..

Drill.. tap.. done.

Grim

Pissing match over a tapped hole eh!... winter is here!
unbeliveable

I just asked a simple question. You guys made a simple answer into a engineering debate on what tap to use. And I don't like Hydro Junkie and Steve Seebold so I give them **** any chance I get. 

S Bends are for people that wanna go fast Mikey. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back