Custom Radio Box

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watercadet

I have wood radio box that is the exact perfect fit in my boat. However, it leaks like a sieve no matter how much resin I throw at it. Is there anyone out there who is good enough to use my radio box as a plug to make a fiberglass one? Maybe Phil or Mike P? I just want a box that won't leak!!! And yes the seals are all good.

I have wood radio box that is the exact perfect fit in my boat. However, it leaks like a sieve no matter how much resin I throw at it. Is there anyone out there who is good enough to use my radio box as a plug to make a fiberglass one? Maybe Phil or Mike P? I just want a box that won't leak!!! And yes the seals are all good.
Watercadet,

Make a new radio box out of wood and use epoxy to put it togather, then use the epoxy to cover the inside and outsides. The thined epoxy works best, when eopxy is on the wood before it drys use a hair dryer to get it even.

Walt

Watercadet,

Make a new radio box out of wood and use epoxy to put it togather, then use the epoxy to cover the inside and outsides. The thined epoxy works best, when eopxy is on the wood before it drys use a hair dryer to get it even.

Walt
A guy is making them in abs,i think he is in Jackson Tn. Mark Hopper might be able to hook you up but a one off might be pricy.

Any idea where the water is coming from? What typr of tape are you using to seal? Secure the top on the box, and submerge it while looking for bubbles. If you have a tubular antenna, you can blow through it. My guess is that one of the pushrod seals is leaking. If you can't figure it out, sent it to me (with pushrods, etc) and I will fix it. It will only cost you the the shipping.

Adam I recently made one out of CF and it's not that hard.

1. Make a plug from pink foam
  2. wrap the foam with wax paper or peal ply
  3. brush on epoxy
  4. drape a 2 layers of cloth orienting the 2nd layer @ 45 degrees
  5. wrap it with a layer of breather cloth or landscaping fabric (waxed side in)
  6. wrap everything with shrinkable packing tape
  7. heat the tape forcing the excess epoxy out of the cloth
  8. let it set over night
  9. remove foam

All such great info! I think I have some one who can take care of me. I am horrible with wood and epoxy, so it is great to have you all offer up help.

The box is leaking around the correct 3M tape at the corners. I did the submerge test with the antenna tube and every where else is great but I can't get the tape to seal well at the corners cause the surface is so small.

Do you have enough room to add a 1/8" spruce strip, cover with .5 oz glass cloth and epoxy, and block it flat on a countertop or surface plate? You will need to reapply epoxy after blocking if you sand into the glass cloth.

One thing I have found is that if you don't sand the epoxy and get ride of the shine the tape does not stick well. I have been using west system on all my wood radio boxes. Just hit it with some 220 and it should stick. Another to try is to burn an inch beyond the edge of the box. That way all the crap that is on your hands will not be on the tape when you stick it. You can cut the tape off after you are done.

Mike

Latest posts

Back