Custom HDPE (plastic) Fuel Tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah, yes. It would need to be an actual separate tank inside. Check out the picture that Kelly sent you. I think that will give you a great idea of what we are referring to.

I got the picture, is the hopper tank sealed? If so, how do you get fuel in and out of it? I see one tube coming out of the hopper tank, I guess I don't understand how it would be plumbed if it was sealed and only one tube coming out of it. I sure I'm missing something simple here.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan,

I just sent you another email to explain what you are seeing in the picture. Give me a call if you need more info.

Kelly.

Thanks for clearing everything up for me this morning Kelly. I will start working on a test tank this weekend.

Ryan

Ryan if your switching over to the barbed fittings you may want to stick with the 1/8" versus 1/16" material at least on the end where the fittings go. more meat for the threads.

Thanks for the heads up Bill. The ones I use don't thread though, they get welded in on the front and back. It helps get the fitting closer to the corner for maximum pickup. I've used 1/16" with barbs on two tanks so far and they seem to hold up, but your right it might not hurt to use the 1/8" for added strength. I'll experiment some more with different combos this weekend.

I've had alot of great conversations with members over the past few weeks and received some awesome input/ feedback. I plan to incorporate their ideas into this tank design and hopefully turn out something cool that works.

Thanks

Ryan

Here's a picture of the barb welded in on the front and back. What size nitro line are most of you using? I'd like to have fittings on hand to support all your needs.

2012-06-14%2008_18_11.jpg

2012-06-14%2008_18_40.jpg

Ryan, 1/16th is fine since your welding them. Are you using a weldon product? Like weldon #16 or similar?

I use a mini plastic welder, you can't use any adhesives on this stuff it has to be melted together.

ah, ic. I figured they would have a chemical similar to weldon that would react and fuse the two pieces together. Kind of like #16 does to acrylic.

Cool to know! I work for a sign shop, so work around acrylic/PVC/Polycarbonate daily.

Anyhow, back on track. sorry man. :)

No worries, this is one of the only materials that's so chemical resistant nothing wants to bond to it. It would be cool if there was something like that for HDPE.

Ryan, looks good! Only thing I would be worried about is the tubing come off inside the tank and not being able to put it back on.

BUT, do they make an HDPE tubing that you could bend and weld to the tank? Then it would be a permanent fixture, and you would have it licked! Also make sure to keep it 1/8 inch away from both the bottom and sides (the pickup tube that transfers from tank to hopper)

Latest posts

Back