Cricut cutter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I saw these Cricut cutters on sale at Michaels and really want to get one. Has anyone had any experience with these machines?

Other than using them to make decals, I am hoping I can cut pin stripes in the width I want. Is it easy to use? Will it take other trim sheets such as the Monokote trim sheet? What is the smallest letters it can cut? And is there any alignment feature that would allow me to overlay a design over another?

Thanks,
k

Hey Kez!
Yes I actually don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to cut pinstripe in desired widths, don’t know why I never thought of it actually. Lol I use mine a lot!
The ones on sale probably isn’t what you will want for that though. The newest explore 3 allows for you to cut unlimited lengths, you would be limited to 23.5 inches long on the explore 2 and old maker that are currently on sale, which is what I have.
You can overlay designs to make, but you will have to manually line them up for placement and each layer will be a single shade. So if your design is black, blue, yellow each color will be their own piece.

Thanks Brandon , for the tips. I almost bought the Explore 2 yesterday but the information on the box is limited. It is good to know that the newer machines do not have a length limit. The biggest project I have lined up is a 55" Dumas Scarab. So I will definitely get the new machine.

Can you tell me how you did the letter A with the black border in your pictures? Did you cut the black first and then cut the white and center it?

Also, does the Cricut tape go over compound curves OK? Monokote trim sheet is not stretchy. So it works well for long straight lines. I have manually cut a Coors light logo using Cricut vinyl. But have not tried it on compound curves?

Thanks and happy new year everybody
k

The Cricut cutter is the single best tool I have bought in some time....I just don't like the learning curve on the software...but it's simple enough ....all done on the Explore air 2

Attachments

• 20201121_145857.jpg
    20201121_145857.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20200806_144800.jpg
    20200806_144800.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
Is the black stripe with Zipp kit.com done in Cricut vinyl? Did you start with a black vinyl and weed out the letters?

Can you tell me how you did the 'Aeromarine Conquest"? I would like to know how you did the Conquest. You will need a carrier sheet to lift the letters with the black outline. Correct?

What is the smallest font the cutter can do?

Thanks,
k

Yes....zippkits.com is cutout of the vinyl....select your font and position as needed...tons of YouTube videos on using the software.....and the aeromarine Conquest....that I bought the font for that and again youtube to the rescue on the knockout of the lettering....I spend more time learning than actual cutting....and yes a "transfer sheet" Is what its called...without the transfer sheet all the lettering goes to poop real quick....smallest font....about 1/4" safety....some fonts cut better than others and also the condition of the blade....I did a capital rc club logo and the "weeding" on that was very intense...I thought about supplying the club with vinyl patches but decided no way...too much work involved....so it all up to the design....multi color layouts I'm still learning...if I were to do it all over...I would search for a printing vinyl maker/cutter...4 color and any design without the stacking of vinyl...just like a printed picture...just in vinyl...and cut perfectly...slightly more expensive...and at the time out of my $$ reach..
Cricut is doing fine for the simple stuff I currently do...

Attachments

• 20200209_155918.jpg
    20200209_155918.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20190912_153419.jpg
    20190912_153419.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
The smallest lettering really depends on the font. Some fonts get way to skinny and are not viable.
The letter A is black carbon vinyl with the reflective white overlay, so two separate pieces. The vinyl will go over curves well yes, but you are not limited to only Cricut vinyl. I’ve used Siser, 3M, off- brands, really anything.
I don’t think the software is too hard to learn but it definitely takes a few trials to get it down. It is very hands on. As Robert pointed out the YouTube will be your friend, Cricut has a few sponsored helpful videos as well.

I personally like the multi layer designs, vinyl that prints as images can sometimes suffer quality issues and have to print as solid shapes. The multi layer designs allow for very clean lines that don’t cover more of the boat than needed. Each certainly have their place in it all though!
I don’t have pictures but I’ve also done team race jackets and some tumblers. 4 color design, Black carbon base with red white and blue overlays.

Back