cowling attachments on phil T5 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

Does anyone have pics of how you have cowlings attached at the cockpit area. Mine is a Phil Thomas T5 and I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to attach it to boat. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Heres how I did mine, theres just an aluminum rod thats epoxied into the nose of the hull, with two 1/4" round neodynamium magnets also epoxied into the hull on each side, flush with the surface.

Then the cowling has the same two magnets, flanking an aluminum tube that slides over the rod thats epoxied in the hull for alignment, and the magnets obviously hold it all down
default_smile.png

and the 1st pic was before I added magnets to the cowling, sorry I dont have any current pics of the cockpit.

I actually ended up cutting that rod in half so it didnt protrude so much, and the magnets were painted over so you cant even see them now.

Phil actually included a small piece of 90 degree angled aluminum for attaching your cowl at the front, what he usually does is simply bolt it down where I have my rod, and then he drills a hole in it so that a nut a bolt can be attached to it. Basically he has the bolt pointed toward the front of the boat, and then just adds ply to the inside of his cockpit, and drills a hole for the screw to slide into. Since his screw is horizontal, rather than vertical like mine, he can simply have the cowling only "held" down in the back and its still not going to come off, whereas since my rod is vertical, it still needs to have something to hold it down there.

hope this helps! I can post pics of phils setups if you need.

hold.png

20160320_224607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's is very helpful, I was kinda doing the same with magnets. Do you have Phil setup as well I like to see that but I like the magnet idea.

I dont exactly have pictures of him using this method on his T5 hull, but he pretty much uses this technique all the time. These particular pics are from his Lobster hull.

DSC02568_%281024x768%29.jpg
DSC02569_%281024x768%29.jpg

Also, for my current build, ill be taking an easier and more convenient route that I havn't really seen done.... Ive already epoxied a male 6.5mm bullet connector to my hull, and ill simply have the female piece on my cockpit, ill be doing this same thing for the rear part of the cowling as well. So in this sense, its virtually the same action of securing the cowling to the hull, however with less components as I dont need to epoxy any magnets anywhere. Cleaner, and easier!

20160320_230203.jpg

Lol well Phil I still have the one you emailed to me before you shipped the hull, although its a tad less thorough than the actual packet you gave me,

so Jason if youd like, you could give me your email and I can send it to you. I went with an electric setup and it was still EXTREMELY helpful, especially when you cant be bothered to refer to the forums or your phone or w.e else
default_wink.png
all hull manufacturers should do this....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah sure it [email protected]. thank you for the pictures and what you used. I been having the worse time figuring a way to do it. My cockpit is seperate frome the turbine part so I may do that screw as a pin thank you for getting me something to try.

ya thats actually something I was going to touch on but forgot, I epoxied my cockpit and cowling together to use it as once piece, and this configuration is a little bit better suited toward lipo powered setups. As a matter of fact my entire T5 hull and build was very modified and a little outside the norm as a result.... convenience was practically nonexistent the entire way through lol.

Latest posts

Back