Cowl guard...stop the vibration from eating into the boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Linden

I just wanted to see if any of you crafty people might have an answer to this. On my gas hydro, I have a cowl that rides on an internal lip/edge/ After a good day of running you can see the edge of the cowl is eating into the lip of boat and creating a groove. Before any serious surgery needs to be done, I just wanted to see if anyone had a tip for a guard to help stop the gnarling away of fiberglass and gelcoat on that lip? Hope this makes sense.

I use a trick I learned from making RC plane wing saddle. I use silicone sealant on the base of the cowling where it contacts the hull. Then place Saran wrap on the hull as a release film. Put the cowl on the boat and let the glue cure. The silicone will prevent chaffing. At least it works for me.

That's the word I was looking for chafing. I am trying to visualize your idea. So I run a bead of silicone along the edge of the cowl. I put the serran wrap on the inner lip of the hull (Maybe secure it with a little tape) and place the cowl onto the boat. I guess I could just put silicone along certain places and not the entire cowl edge. But what keeps the silicone on? I mean i know it will adhere to a certain point but it's just an edge. Won't the vibration allow the cowl edge to just cut right through the silicone or do you think it will hold on? Please excuse me, I'm a bit slow.

I just wanted to see if any of you crafty people might have an answer to this. On my gas hydro, I have a cowl that rides on an internal lip/edge/ After a good day of running you can see the edge of the cowl is eating into the lip of boat and creating a groove. Before any serious surgery needs to be done, I just wanted to see if anyone had a tip for a guard to help stop the gnarling away of fiberglass and gelcoat on that lip? Hope this makes sense.
hey Mark, I wish I knew vhat hydro,anyways, go to advance auto parts and check out the small door edge molding, jt works great very flexible to bend around all corners,

I use it on all mine. I don't have any pictures at the time but it looks very nice on my new G- 4 Jnsane hydro. I will try to post you a picture tonight.

Mark

hey Mark, I wish I knew vhat hydro,anyways, go to advance auto parts and check out the small door edge molding, jt works great very flexible to bend around all corners,

I use it on all mine. I don't have any pictures at the time but it looks very nice on my new G- 4 Jnsane hydro. I will try to post you a picture tonight.

Mark
rubber edge trim

I use #8507K42 on my Whip GV cowl. Just glued it on with weatherstrip adhesive or CA. I wouldn't think the silicone method would hold up well in a gas boat since silicone and gasoline don't play nice together.

Brent

Thanks guys. I'm gonne stop by the auto part store to pick up some trim (ehhmm uh door edge trim). Preciate all the help. Yeah, that silicone idea is a good one...innovative. But I can see spit from my carb gassing it up and peeling off after a couple outings. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I'm gonne stop by the auto part store to pick up some trim (ehhmm uh door edge trim). Preciate all the help. Yeah, that silicone idea is a good one...innovative. But I can see spit from my carb gassing it up and peeling off after a couple outings. Thanks again.
"chip guard" clear vinyl. U can probably find it at a parts store. If not, any vinyl graphics shop.

Mark
I've used door weather strip seals on my boats with no proublems.. its the foam rubber ones I use.

Well, the car door trim was too big in diameter and I looked around for the chip guard but couldn't find it locally. Saw a bud at the lake with the foam rubber strip door seals and that seems to be a good way to go. Off to Lowes.

WINNER....Thanks Misshydro. That did the trick. Looks clean, easy to remove to replace, and the perfect dampener. It's on all my boats now. Curious how it reacts to water.

You can use cockpit coping that the giant scale plane guys use. Go to WWW.fourmost.com they sell what your looking for. I have it on my gassport hydro.

Back