COPY OR NOT YOU BE THE JUDGE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

htbboats

The attatched picture showes outboard pipes that have been manfactured since 1983.

The pipe on the far left was the first on the market made by my good friend Jon Equi. Jon was granted a patent in 1985. He made a 3.5/7.5/11cc pipe all about the same patern by adapting a larger mid-section for each appropriate size. Jon no longer makes pipe and had since sold his dies, his patent has run out.

The 2nd pipe is the Aerotech. Aerotech made a 7.5/11 cc pipe both the same shape as well. These pipes are no longer in production.

The 3rd pipe is the Irwin. Jim makes 3.5/7.5/11cc pipes,again all about the same shape. These are still on the market but according to Jim sales have been down this year.

The 4th is the Garcia. He made several variations of the 3.5/7.5 pipes. I'm not sure of the status of this production.

The 5th pipe is the Rossi. These 3.5/7.5 pipes are still available.

To the far right is the Silver Bullet 3.5 pipe. Buddy Carter and I also make a 7.5 pipe with this same shape.

I have been accused by one of the manfacturer's of copying "his " design. I feel in no way that I have copied any of these pipes. I was told by this manfacture that he had a patent on the "J" shape! Give me a break! A patent on a shape! If I'm guilty then are not all inboard pipes copying a shape? There all straight. What about tunnel boats, monos! There all about the same shape.

By the way, I searched for this manfacturer's patent and never found it! I then asked for the patent number from the manafacturer himself and was told that he had forgotten to renew it, it had run out! Yeah right! He even told me earlier that he had been paying 500.00 a year to keep it renewed, would I forget that! Just more smoke!

Looks to me if anything we may all be guilty of copying the Equi Pipe. My trouble is not with Jon.

What I'm asking for is opinions. Copy or not, you decide!

Mark, HTB BOATS/SILVER BULLET PIPES

Stay "tuned" in and see if things "pipe" down.

Here ya go...

pipe1.jpg

THERE SEEMS TO BE NO COPY AT ALL ALL THE PIPES LOOK DIFFERANT. I THINK IVE SEEN THE HORSESHOE LOOKING PIPE RUN LAST YEAR BUT IM PRETTY NEW TO THIS HOBBY SO MY VOTE IS NO THEY DONT LOOK NOTHING ALIKE

SILVER BULLET PIPES

Well so far the silver bullet is the best pipe of all them . Once you get the stinger size right for the weather your running she has great top end & also great throtle transition which a lot of pipes don't want to do good or at least not as easy. Any engine may like another pipe better than another but the outboard pipes that are out there right now, the silver bullet is for me. I have two of the silver bullet 3.5 pipes and have a silver bullet 7.5 ordered . And is it a copy ? NO CAUSE IT RUNS TOOOO GOOD!! ;D

Joe Grace

Hi

I don't think any of these pipes could be a 'copy' By their nature all tuned pipes will end up similar shapes the bent pipe is an old idea. Model helicopters used bent tuned pipes - through the frames - around 20 years ago. Mostly manufactured by Hatori of Japan or later by Minature Aircraft of the US. Does this mean the concept was not original.

I would suggest that there are no really original ideas but subtle improvements over time. As long as they get better and we all benefit who cares. If these other manufacturers don't want to make pipes anymore how can it be hurting them commercially if somebody does make a pipe. Not exactly a view for the greater good.

my $0.02

GT

Well it is not copy of anything that I Have seen before. But there again who am I to say. I will say that everyone that I have talked to ,has been nothing but pleased with the performance GAINED by using the "SILVER BULLET pipe that my good Friend's MARK and BUDDY have produced and are selling as fast as two people can make them. It sound like Jim"s market has feel of just a touch since the "SILVER BULLET" has feel into the hands of those R/C Boaters that want the winning edge and have bit the "BULLET" and ordered from Mark,Buddy instead of Jim. All boaters want what they see WIN Races and ther is plenty of that going on with the new pipe that's out . Jim is going to have to come up with another copy of the copy and see if he can take some of the load off of Mark,Buddy so we can go to the lake and run instead of staying up all night trying to fill the orders that are coming in from all over the world. Keep on building those good looking and good running pipes until everyone has a spare and one to put up for ther Grand Children to run.

Mark, there does not look like there is EXACT copy. You would have to copy exact angle and diameters the whole length. You got the goods!!! Good running pipes!!!

Billy Richardson

MMBA

Hey Mark, I wouldnt worry about Jim, I think he was maybe blowin off a little steam. His new quiet pipe doesnt look anything like his old pipe ???

They all have there good points.

~ James

OK , I HAVE HEARD ALL THE CRAP ABOUT THE SILVER BULLETS I CAN STAND , NOW I WILL TELL YOU JUST LIKE IT WAS , i HELLPED HOPPER WITH HIS 29N BOAT FOR ABOUT TWO YRS , THEN I WAS DESIGNING A NEW BOTTOM FOR HIM FOR YR 2003, I GET A CALL OR TWO THAT HE IS NOW COPING MY OUTB PIPES , I ASK HIM ABOUT IT AND HE DENYS IT VERY STRONGLY, I TOLD THAT THAT WAS OK AND I WOULD BE GLAD TO GIVE HIM SOME TIPS IF HE NEEDED IT , THEN I GET A CALL FROM THE GUY ON HERE THATS BLOWING ALL THE SMOKE AND CANT TELL THE TRUTH IF HIT HIM IN FACE , DEMANDING MY PATENY NUMBER . AND YES I USED TO HAVE A PENDING PATENT , MEANING YOU HAD TO PAY A PATENT ATTORNY FIVE HUNDRERD EVRY 7 YRS TO KEEP IT ACTIVE (.NOT EVERY YR AS STATED ABOVE ) JOHN GAVE ME THE OK TO BUILD MY PIPES , AND IN RETURN I GAVE HIM MY PIPES TO USE ON HIS TO MAKE HIS BETTER,( HE USED MY INBOARD PIPES ) JOE LEJUNE AND I WORKED TOGETHER TO DESIGNE HIS PIPE . IN A WAY I AM GLAD THIS DID HAPPEN , IT HAS FORCED ME TO GET OFF MY BUTT AND BRING OUT THE PRO SERIES OF QUIET PIPES , THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERANT IN THE WAY WE MFG THEM . AND THEY ARE FAR BETTER THAN ANY THING THAT IS OUT NOW AND WE CAN PROVE IT AND DONT NEED TO BLOW A LOT OF SMOKE UP EVERY ONES BUTT TO TRY TO SELL THEM . NOW IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY MR HOPPER , I WOULD SUGGEST YOU CALL YOUR CLOWNS OFF , IF YOU TRY THIS ONE WITHOUT MY WRITEN PERMISSION , I GARRENTEE YOU , WIN OR LOSE I WILL SEE YOUR BUTT IN COURT WITH YOUR CLOWNS , THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL OF US OUT THERE MARK , IT DONT HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS JAMES IRWIN

OK there ya have it, I am lockin this one down.

Both sides have had their say in the matter.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back