Cooper QHP PIPE LENGHT-"REVISITED"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Seems to me at the begining of the year when Dick started introducing the new Cooper QHP quiet pipe for the .45's , there was some discussion here as to lenghts being used in 40 mono's in particular. At the time, the weather was still fairly cool for our Northern members. The numbers being tossed around as I recall were in the 9 1/2 - 9 3/4 range with good results. My question to those of you that ran such a short pipe during the cooler months is- When the weather warmed in your area (summer) were you still able to carry such a short pipe ? and if not, were did you end up lenght wise in the hotter months ? Hull - motor and prop size before and after would also be helpful.

Andy .

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay , you guys are gonna make me dig back to Feb-07 to find out who's was running that pipe so short and claiming it was working well for them huh?? <_<

Seems to me at the begining of the year when Dick started introducing the new Cooper QHP quiet pipe for the .45's , there was some discussion here as to lenghts being used in 40 mono's in particular. At the time, the weather was still fairly cool for our Northern members. The numbers being tossed around as I recall were in the 9 1/2 - 9 3/4 range with good results. My question to those of you that ran such a short pipe during the cooler months is- When the weather warmed in your area (summer) were you still able to carry such a short pipe ? and if not, were did you end up lenght wise in the hotter months ? Hull - motor and prop size before and after would also be helpful.
Andy .
i didn't run mine till about july. seducer sd3, purple head cmb, x450 and x450 barr cut, i think we got 56 on radar. ran the cooper and a cmdi parabolic 9 3/4 on both. both pipes run too hot for my liking want to try something else but don't know what yet.

Andy .
i didn't run mine till about july. seducer sd3, purple head cmb, x450 and x450 barr cut, i think we got 56 on radar. ran the cooper and a cmdi parabolic 9 3/4 on both. both pipes run too hot for my liking want to try something else but don't know what yet.

Thanks Steve. Do you remember ballpark temps and humidity at that time of year were your at ? What nitro % are you using ??

Ive never been able to run the pipe any shorter than 10-1/8 to 10 1/4 range down here in Fla during the summer,or anytime for that matter. I cant figure out how your running yours so short with a like setup.I run a purple head cmb-x450/3 sbc 3.6 - or 3.4 and it runs out of prop. I played with a 452/3-bar cut and reduced and it hauled butt as long as the boat was scary loose. With the weather cooling down some here- humidity 40%- dewpoint in the 48% range- 65-70 degree days- Im wondering if I should start squeezing down on the pipe lenght some and try and pull the bigger wheel again ???

Im going to test in the am - the temps should be low 60's and low humidty and air density(for Fla) - suggestions ?

Thoughts?? comments??

After re-reading the old threads twice , Im still confused about were you guys are taking you actual measurement at- on the pipe end specifically. I measure mine from cylinder center-on the side of the case (not the glow plug) to the first apparent weld on the outside of the pipe- is this correct and acurate with your measurements ??

That is good run but :eek: lot drink out of fuel very trick Good Luck!

I like perfer back old pipe "MAC7.5cc super quiet pipe" for my CMB45RS

Andy .

Thanks Steve. Do you remember ballpark temps and humidity at that time of year were your at ? What nitro % are you using ??

Ive never been able to run the pipe any shorter than 10-1/8 to 10 1/4 range down here in Fla during the summer,or anytime for that matter. I cant figure out how your running yours so short with a like setup.I run a purple head cmb-x450/3 sbc 3.6 - or 3.4 and it runs out of prop. I played with a 452/3-bar cut and reduced and it hauled butt as long as the boat was scary loose. With the weather cooling down some here- humidity 40%- dewpoint in the 48% range- 65-70 degree days- Im wondering if I should start squeezing down on the pipe lenght some and try and pull the bigger wheel again ???

Im going to test in the am - the temps should be low 60's and low humidty and air density(for Fla) - suggestions ?

Thoughts?? comments??

After re-reading the old threads twice , Im still confused about were you guys are taking you actual measurement at- on the pipe end specifically. I measure mine from cylinder center-on the side of the case (not the glow plug) to the first apparent weld on the outside of the pipe- is this correct and acurate with your measurements ??

Andy,

hot as in turned the plug purple hot lol.. both pipes trapped alot of heat.. specially the cooper.. i think we need to be somewhere around 9 - 9 1/4 but not sure on what do do with props yet.

we used 60% nitro.. .008 clearence on the head.

now with that being said, it is hard to test a seaducer.. they are not fast on smooth water and until you can race it , it can be tuff to decide what to do to it.

hope i helped.

oh, we measure from the center of the case to the weld on the cooper pipe.

chris

Steve W. & Andy G.,

Try an OPS 67 pipe and start at 10" and keep cutting until you are happy

with the speed. Not necessary to run a lot of propeller with a short pipe

length. The X-450/3 is plenty of propeller.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Steve W. & Andy G.,
Try an OPS 67 pipe and start at 10" and keep cutting until you are happy

with the speed. Not necessary to run a lot of propeller with a short pipe

length. The X-450/3 is plenty of propeller.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund
Well I managed to get the pipe down to 9 3/4 before I ran out of time today. It seemed to wake the boat up rather well once I found the needle. As you said Mark, it didnt like the larger prop(452/3 you did for me) with the pipe that short and the 450/3 didnt seem to run out as it did with a longer pipe lenght.

Didnt have enough time to test the .67 pipe but I will try next weekend. It seems pretty darn good the way it is though. With only 2 races left this season, I might just leave it alone till the season is over.

The OPS pipe leads me to another question- were is the lenght measured at on the pipe? were the taper or cone ends and begins the barrel so to speak or all the way back at the spotted welds ? I have an extra one I can try today , just need to know were to set it.

Andy,

I am using the Nitro pipe, not the quiet pipe.

Getting additional RPM are you?

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back