Consuming glow plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

I was out to the pond yesterday to run my VS1 (stock OS ver.1) and my Vegas Deuce (stock ST .18). It was pretty hot and humid for SW Ontario - something like 30 degrees C and 50% + humidity. I ran the same Redmax Boat 50% that I have been running for more than a year.

I had to replace one OS#8 in my VS1 and went through 3 plugs in my MVD- one Supertigre #4 hot, which is the stock plug, then two MC9's that I had in my box. The first few laps of the first runs of the day on both boats were the fastest that I have ever seen then subsequent runs sagged a bit. In later runs I fattened the needle a bit and the VS1 got close to the best speed but the MVD didn't.

The OS plug looked like a clean break. Frosted wire and clean base of the plug, (I think I need to restrict the water a bit to get the temps up).

The ST.18 had one clean failure and two where the top coil was fried. All plugs in the ST.18 had the coil pushed in slightly. Once I got home and was cleaning up and putting the boat away, I noticed that the screws holding the header on were loose so some fuel/exhaust had leaked out.

I have never been through so many plugs in a single session. Was it the weather? What should I do differently next time?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to lean to me ,I could be rong,i had aod99 break a wire just a few laps put new plug in and richened it up some and was all good.This is in a go 21 stock.

I had that happening to my a mod. And i found out it was that the fuel filter was comPletely cloged up after going through $40.00 in glow plugs. Hope you gind out the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, i take 5 a day! Especially when you forget to put that other .004 shim in it and set the clearance at .002..... Man the thing hits the pipe like a ton of bricks, but sure does eat plugs!!!!

Header was loose.....leaking fuel, that will do it.

If you want to know how to make plugs last, try that other thread about plugs cause some guys can change engines before they ever change a plug.....lol

:) :) :)

I have only gone through 3 plugs this year with 2 gallons burnt!!!! I think I'm doing good I should join that thread Rob!!!

Back