Comparison of how shapes affect drag

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHedOff

I thought I'd share this for those who AREN'T scientists or engineers, and basically challenged when it comes to physics (like me!)

I found this very insightful, so I thought I'd share it.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0231.shtml

And for those that dont understand the comparison, shape #2 has the least drag - the difference from it and shape #3 is slight but I get it.... I've been studying up on boundary layers, laminar and turbulent flows, and skin friction. It's been interesting, but I still have so much to learn!

Thanks Anthony. I just fixed the link. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still all foreign to me. One of the local racers around here, Ric Carpenter, did some work up at the university on hydroplane designs and found out that a hull shaped more like a submarine on sponsons was more aerodynamic than the almost box-like structures that we've been using for too many years. It is almost less prone to blow-offs. Building a square or rectangular tub is just a lot easier than having to fab up a round hull.

Ric had built one prototype that was very fast with just a tired K&B .21 in it but after losing a flex cable and getting rear-ended, didn't pursue it any further.

Scott, You know Test mules aren't pretty, well except for your motors.

The alum. makes it very easy to test different settings and make mods. Then you mold the Petty one. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back