Collet stuck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Just set up a boat. New collet. Tightened it down to check fit. Tried to take shaft out and collet will not come loose. The nut is loose but insert will not come out. What the heck.

Tried heat. Nothing. Spayed some penetrant on it. Waiting.

What should I do. Need it free to run tomorrow.

what brand of collet? If its one from Zipp kits I have had the same issue, more then once. I will only run Octura collets now. Wont run anything with the inserts in them.

If you can see the insert grab a small screwdriver and put it on one of the cuts of the insert and try to spread it,It also happened to me more than once.

Rene

Take the engine out and grab the insert with a pair of vise grips and tap the insert off. Then do as Rodney says and only run octura collets.

Use a screwdriver and lay it on the brass and give it a wack with small hammer. Mine do it all the time and this works for me
Good advice here. Small tap on the collet side of the slot will release it every time. There's no perfect collet for sure. Octura won't bind on the shaft but it may take a few before you find one that runs true. And don't use vise grips on any toy boat stuff. Most brutal tool ever.

Ron

I find that the Octura collets run the truest out of any that I have tried thus far. Perhaps I have just gotten lucky? Not sure.

Sometimes you can give them a whack on the side where the cable comes out and they'll come loose. But if they're really stuck I usually unscrew the collet from the engine, take it out of the boat, then thread a 1/4-24 (I think that's the right size?) screw into the collet where the crank threads in. Or you can use a spare crank if you have one kicking around...Tighten it up until it pushes the insert out. If it happened once, it'll happen again, probably time to get a different one.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back