Cobra build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first photo it looks like you have two OS Cable Clamps mounted to the transom. Are these meant to clamp the throttle and 3rd Channel cables/pushrods???? If so, I think you will need to relocate them i.e mount them on the engine.

Good luck,

James

In the first photo it looks like you have two OS Cable Clamps mounted to the transom. Are these meant to clamp the throttle and 3rd Channel cables/pushrods???? If so, I think you will need to relocate them i.e mount them on the engine.

Good luck,

James

OK, looks like OB Nut was quicker on the keyboard than me -_-

I've got a PBR Lawless steering arm that works better then K&B. The PBR is angled to offset the angle of the Lawless lower. $5.00 shipped..

i was just going to use the OS cable clamps but after reading your post it is obvious that it wont work that way... thanks

ok, worked on it a little more today. here is what i did. to start with i mounted the throttle cable as instructed, thanks. i ditched the 3rd chanel all together and trimmed the servo shelf to make room for a switch. mounted the radio box and fuel tank, i used shoe goo. i never have removed the radio box from any of my other tunnels and have had good experience doing it this way.

here is my question: i have 2 choices of motors to go on this, they are both brand new on lawless legs. the first one is a 6 bolt head, standard plug, the second is a 4 bolt turbo head. which is going to be my best option? (i actually have 3: 2 std, 1 turbo). i would like to know what you guys think? also what prop should i start with on this motor?

thanks

OB nut, got the steering arm today... done deal, i was waiting for it. i will run the boat tomorrow and post some opinions. i decided to start out with the 6 bolt non turbo and see how she goes....

ok here is the set-up i am going to try first, i am sure i will be adjusting on it but this is the starting point. i am going to try a 1440 s/b un cut. my shaft is set with about 1 degree of negitive, center of the shaft 2.5 tenths above the sponsons. this puts the bottom of the bullet a little higher than 1/8". COG with no fuel is about 8" from the rear of the sponsons.... the weight RTR with 1800mah lipo and all running gera (no fuel) is 4 lbs 12 oz (i dont know how accurate my mail scale is)

ok i ran about 5 tanks through it today and came out with mixed feelings about this boat..

the GOOD: i will say one thing about it: it handles pretty good and can handle speed well. i was swaping props and adjusting on it all day and was making good progress. i think the best prop was the 1440, i tried x440,x440-3,215,1440. the original motor height was too high and caused cavitation so i ended up 1 1/2 turns lower on the mount and it was good with the 1440, high reving and only a little cavitation of the start. the motor would not pull the other props verry good, it kept falling off the pipe in the corners. fast down the srtaights but a dog out of the turns. i still need to do some tuning on it...

now the BAD: although i bought a hull with blemishes in the gel-coat i was told what they were and saw pictures of the light spots in the gel-coat. what i wasnt told is that there was another LARGE area on the sponson that had been sanded and touched up. when a little fuel spilled on it the touch up coat came right off leaving a sanded undercoat (original coat). i also was disapointed that on both sides of the trandsom, where it joins the deck, that the gel cracked within the first run.... the seams on the hull to deck are messy and nothing other than 3m 5200, this hull is not glassed together. this is by no means weak or a bad way of doing it, just messy. i was over it at first but after seeing the POOR quality of the rest of the hull it only makes sense to mention it.

the boat ran decent and never "blew over", it did "roll" in a tight turn once but i must say 5 tanks with one flip isnt bad. my overall impression of this boat is that it is a "fair" hull with "below average" quality. even though my leecraft and htb are battle scared and no where close to perfect condition they both look alot better on the water, better ride and way better build quality. maybee my next one will be a vision or lynx...

well i feel compelled to answer your post although i dont know why you didnt contact me first, about these issues. lets set one thing straight you paid 165.00 total for a blemish boat with issues 45.00 of that money was for shipping so all you really paid was 120.00. even with the blemishes. i dont think that was a bad price. if you only would have thought to give me a chance to correct this problem. we could have solved this issue in a more civil matter without you slamming my boat. that im trying so hard to get of the ground. if you wanted a perfect boat you should have paid me 185.00 plus shipping instead of going cheap and then crying foul. thank you very much

I really have to agree with Dan here... Chuck you really should PM Dan first rather than slamn the guy on the forum.

This should be the last option. <_<

Without guys like Dan we might not have any Outboard Hulls to run... NOW THAT WOULD BE SAD! :eek:

Im happy with my Cobra, and Im keeping in contact with Dan letting him know how im going and my thoughts on a few things... Dans a great guy to talk to and happy to help. ;)

first off, i was not "slamming" the boat. and i do not have any "issues" to resolve. i am not looking for money back or repairs to be made just stating that there were repairs made that were not mentioned when selling a brand new hull(i guess i should have checked carfax). the reason i started this thread is so that myself and others can compair notes and share our experiences with the product.

Dan you are right that i only paid $165, $45 of which was for priority shipping, that was the deal we worked out. i also didnt mention that you advertised, sold and charged me extra for shipping when the boat wasnt even completed and ready to ship (if you remember it took you almost a week to make the radio box and ship it, what was the purpose of priority shipping?). what that means is you are advertising something you dont even have yet (yes, now the slamming begins). the deal we didnt work out was the hidden blemishes that were not disclosed. you showed me about 3 light spots in the gelcoat and said those were the only blemishes, nothing about repairing the rear of the sponson. also cracks in the trandsome area and sloppy bonding of the deck and hull are no different due to the blemishes on the hull i purchased. if you would like me to carry on about poor quality i can take some pictures of the bottom and point out differences in the left and right sponsons, maybee even mention that the white out over the original manufacture name so you could write yours in crayon in the build sheet. you can stop me any time because i can go on and on.....

the reason i posted these facts are so that people know what they are getting into and can research the hull before buying one. if the problems that i have are isolated incidents then it will eventually show in other post. that is how you weigh the positives and negitives when researching products you are interested in purchasing. an example of this can be seen in several post about the aquacraft UL1's and VS1's. several people complain about flaws in both of those products (UL1 esc's/turn fin and VS1's are poorly sealed) and the designer and manufacture does not accuse the consumers of "slamming" them, they take their constructive critisism and use it to improve their pruduct. maybee that is what you should do with this one. belive it or not, people continue to buy UL1's and VS1's and they get better and better. in the case of the UL1 they even changed the manufacturing process to stregnthen the turn fin area.

overall i am happy with this hull, it runs decent with minimal set-up. and i agree, dan has been easy to deal with and customer support has been good. the quality is just not on par with the others i have seen, Snipper included. that is what this post is really about, letting people know what they can expect with the current quality control standards and manufacturing processes.

ps: is calling your customers "going cheap" when they buy something at the price you were asking part of the excellent support and "nice guy" ozbryan mentions??????

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Chuck I dont think Dan called you cheap he said you went for a cheap option but hey... we all get an opinion dont we.

Yes I agree there are some things Dan needs to work on with the boat but these can be done in a constructive way and they can be done in other ways.

I chose to email Dan and tell him my opinion, not put it on the net for people to read the way they want to read it good or bad.

It has to be considered that Dan has only just got his hands on this boat.. so there is going to be some learning to be done and if dealt with the right way Im sure Dan will come through with a very good quality boat.

when someone says "instead of going cheap and then crying foul" to me that is calling me cheap... it is obvious by the lawless/rossi combo that i am not.

i just like to express my opinion for others to hear, i wish someone had told me what i was getting into. that is the beauty of free speach. if there had been a thread anywhere like this one i would have known to expect theese kind of things. probablly would have still got one of theese hulls but would not have expected premium quality. when i heard theese hulls are race quality i didnt know that meant they develope there own cracks and scratches without even bumping onyone...

dans ad "the red one has some white specks in the gel coat in 2 places". no mention of sanded and touched up..... check it out for yourself... the shipping details were in PM but they are outlined above. http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=36153&view=&hl=cobra&fromsearch=1

i never said you were cheap i only said you bought a hull for a real cheap price. there was no cracks in the hull when it left my house, maybe you pushed to hard down or let the cone slip off while tryed to start your boat.im not sure what happened but all you had to do is email me or call me and i would have made you a new boat. im looking for new ideas on how to make this design better. feedback is very important to me. im just a simple guy trying to make a name for myself selling my boats for a lot less than any mfg out there. for saving buyers so much money i had hoped buyers would overlook the little issues until i can make new molds. i dont know if anyone knows or cares but i bought these molds just like you see them now. i have made improvements all along but i guess the end result wasnt good enough. i know that the other mfg in my area are charging a hell of alot more for there hulls (example) lynx $380.00, vison $250.00. plus shipping. i knew there was some imperfections that i had to fix and ive came up with some solutions but ive come to the reality that i wont take any more orders until i can improve the molds i have and i have 6 boats to build then im going to stop and look at how i can make these better

Last edited by a moderator:
geeeze settle down.

some of those marks look like rub mark from a cowling (near the transom) and have you ever seen a HTB? It cracks all over the shop (not 'slamming' this hull, just saying)

my htb is solid it is a couple years old and only has one chip on the sponson tip (like that when i got it)...

and sorry dan, not slamming you. i know the boat was inexpensive but when you said what the flaws were you forgot to mention the biggest one... no worries, i will be running it as is, they just get beat up anyway.. i actually like the way it runs and am willing to put forth some time to get it set-up. i have had other boats that i give up on after 2 or 3 runs just because i dont like what i see. trust me, i have bought over 30 hulls this year. i just discount the ones i dont like and send them on their way. when i find one i like i usually make 2-3 of them in different configurations (2S, 4S, spec, stock, mod...) or: will build one and test and tune, find the set-up and hardware i like then build one jsut like it. an exanple is that i bought 6 delta force 26" hulls this year and now have 2 of them, one 1515 1y/cc240 and one SV spec. i went through 1-3S set-up,1-8xl and 1 ammo 36-50-2300 those are all gone as well as a hull i never drilled that i was thinking of making nitro

Heres my Cobra radiox box with some mods.

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Ozbryan/?action=view&current=IMG_0085.jpg&newest=1

I think the radio box is way too long so i cut it down and will be getting a custom tank made to hold 12oz of fuel so ill be able to run my MAC on this baby ;)

Also had to do some work to Blue Print the sponsons...http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Ozbryan/?action=view&current=IMG_0086.jpg&newest=1

Looks good. I thought of shortening the box too, but didnt. Any sugestions on motor to run? I have a stock K&B sx and a CMB with a Ierwin lower?

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back