CMB .67 headbolt size?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Strange

Does anyone know what size and length the head bolts are?

Also, would the metal alloy bolts that Ace Hardware sells be OK for this application?

OK one more...are stainless bolts OK to use?

Thanks, Tim

I am 99% sure they are 6-32 thread,, I use all S/S in my engines,, but I do coat the threads with TefGel before installing them.

I do believe Jon Thibideau (on here) sells S/S screw sets for most engines

Does anyone know what size and length the head bolts are?

Also, would the metal alloy bolts that Ace Hardware sells be OK for this application?

OK one more...are stainless bolts OK to use?

Thanks, Tim
Not sure if I'd use the Ace hardware stuff. May be poor quality?? microfasteners.com sells ss screws in 300 series stainless or 13-8 stainless steel . I use the 13-8 perhaps Jon will chime in on the proper alloy. Rick is right about the tef-gel- it was made for marine applications.

Anyone know the torque specs to have the bolts tight without stripping? My 1/4" torque wrench starts at 20 in-lbs so I need to know if I need something with a lower range.

Anyone know the torque specs to have the bolts tight without stripping? My 1/4" torque wrench starts at 20 in-lbs so I need to know if I need something with a lower range.
Even if your torque wrench starts @ 20 in-lbs it will only give accurate readings in the upper 80% of it's range. I may still have a very old chart with size/torque on it-if I find it I'll post it- 6-32??????????

Nope- starts @ 1/4"(for cars/trucks/tractors) You might Google torque specs and find what you need or if you know anyone working for the military it should be in the tech order(T.O.) 1-1-8. Their is also a paragraph about "exercising" torque wrenches before use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do it by feel aquired over time ....evenly bring the screws into contact so the water jacket does not tilt and then a 16 /th turn on each using a cross pattern till SNUG Golden .

According to the chart that came with my in-lb torque screwdriver, 17-21 in-lb for 6-32 threads.

I have used the 21 in-lb setting for yrs. with no stripping .

Don :)

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the chart that came with my in-lb torque screwdriver, 17-21 in-lb for 6-32 threads.

Sooo your wrench that starts @ 20 in/lb would not be accurate in the lower 20% of it's range. I prefer Mr. Foleys method and depend on a small dab of blue loctite(liquid or gel) to keep the screws secure. If the screws go thru water- like some of the CMB Rs motors I would use the Tef-gel like Mr. Bellenger recomended. I opened up a 101 Rs after one season and the corrosion was extreme to the point of blocking water flow. Don't think the Hydro racing motors have the screws going thru water like the Rs versions but may be wrong.

The J S torque products screwdriver has adjustable settings from 0 to 36 in-lb & has 6% +/- accuracy in the upper 80% of range. (model #sg136h) Bought at hobby show about 10 yrs. ago. Paid 99$ on sale. Best tool in the box! ;)

Sooo your wrench that starts @ 20 in/lb would not be accurate in the lower 20% of it's range. I prefer Mr. Foleys method and depend on a small dab of blue loctite(liquid or gel) to keep the screws secure. If the screws go thru water- like some of the CMB Rs motors I would use the Tef-gel like Mr. Bellenger recomended. I opened up a 101 Rs after one season and the corrosion was extreme to the point of blocking water flow. Don't think the Hydro racing motors have the screws going thru water like the Rs versions but may be wrong.
I always flush my cooling through the engine water jacket backwards through the rudder after each running day with D-40, no issues with

corrosion that way.

I always flush my cooling through the engine water jacket backwards through the rudder after each running day with D-40, no issues with

corrosion that way.

corrosion that way.
Mark, I started doing the same thing after seeing the crud in the 1.01.

Back