Choice of tunnel for first race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Dixon

Hey guys Im going to be running my first race at fall nats and want some feed back. Ive got a cobra1 with an aircooled os/ grimracer 40/52 and a vs1 with a watercooled os /grimracer 40/53 3 blade. The cobra handles turns and wake and the the vs1 is wicked fast but it is easy to upset in a turn. Ive entered sport B and mod B. Im thinking the cobra for mod b and the vs1 for stock or cobra for both classes and vs1 for back up. I am a budget racer so I cant afford a high lynx,vision etc. I think Dans cobras are a great deal for the money and will probably get a cobra 2 and I will be ordering a ml boatworks soon but it will be just a winter project. Just trying to drum up some discussion as the outboard thread is kinda of quiet lately.

ps Ive got the bug so BAAAAAD....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

The Cobra is a good mod or sport boat. The VS1 is a good sport boat but not a good mod boat due to the reasons you cite. It has been proven many times at races. The Nemesis is a better and more stable mod boat than the VS1. With the hotshots in the two classes coming in at the fall nats, use the Cobra for the mod class for sure. If you feel comfortable constantly switching engines between the two races at your very first race, then do it. However I would not recommend it at all. Run the VS1 in the sport class and slow down in the turns and let the boat set itself properly. I believe the results with both classes will be better and the bug will not bite you in the backside. Your focus must be with finishing each heat running no matter heat position it ends up being. Just MHO.

John

Thanks John I will probably run the cobra with the aircooled os and keep the vs1 for back up. I am just excited about running in the fall nats. I kinda wish I kept my 7.5 htb so I could run another class or two....Oh well just cant wait

Last edited by a moderator:
Stable boring...... Flighty and fassst fun, but seriously the cobra will do better in less than ideal conditions as you have already mentioned

Latest posts

Back