Charlotte, NC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBBYH

Who's still running in the Charlotte, NC area? Are any of these guys still running: Marty Kirkpatrick, Fred Washam, Grover Stinson, Art Schmidt, Keith Windsor, or Rick Wally? Year's ago they had a really good fall race.

-Bobby

BOBBYH said:
Who's still running in the Charlotte, NC area? Are any of these guys still running: Marty Kirkpatrick, Fred Washam, Grover Stinson, Art Schmidt,  Keith Windsor, or Rick Wally?  Year's ago they had a really good fall race.

-Bobby

90818[/snapback]

Excellent Question Bobby. Maybe I'll try and run some of these people down. Maybe they are like me and had to take a break to spoil kids for a year or 20. :blink:

Scott Norris

Scooter12195 said:
BOBBYH said:
Who's still running in the Charlotte, NC area? Are any of these guys still running: Marty Kirkpatrick, Fred Washam, Grover Stinson, Art Schmidt,  Keith Windsor, or Rick Wally?  Year's ago they had a really good fall race.

-Bobby

90818[/snapback]

Excellent Question Bobby. Maybe I'll try and run some of these people down. Maybe they are like me and had to take a break to spoil kids for a year or 20. :blink:

Scott Norris

90822[/snapback]

Those guys were a lot of fun to run with! Let me know if you get a hold of any them. Charlotte may be like here, plenty of people running boats on their own and don't know anyone else is running. It'd be great if things got going again up there. Let me know if you head over to the Spring Nats. It'll be worth the trip, it's shaping up to be a great race! You're welcome to come down here when you get ready to run, we're running just about every weekend unless it rains or there's a district race.

Later!

-Bobby

Rick came up and ran with us in Greensboro a couple years ago, we're going to run this week end, call me for directions if you're interested

Mike Byer

336-887-3616

Mike Byer said:
Rick came up and ran with us in Greensboro a couple years ago, we're going to run this week end, call me for directions if you're interestedMike Byer

336-887-3616

90870[/snapback]

Thats good to know Mike. How many people do you guys have running up there? Are you racing any or Sport running? What kind of boats are popular there in Greensboro? (Mono, Hydro, Tunnel, Scale, 20,40,60 ) Do you ever see Ken Draughn or Tommy Mooneyham?

Thanks,

Scott Norris

It's real racin, we host the NC state series, and some talk of a district race mid year, mostly gas, but a few of us are still runing nitro riggers, big and small. Ken ran with us pretty regular until year before last.

Mike B

Mike Byer said:
It's real racin, we host the NC state series, and some talk of a district race mid year, mostly gas, but a few of us are still runing nitro riggers, big and small. Ken ran with us pretty regular until year before last.Mike B

90889[/snapback]

Bobby,

Ken came up to Richmond last Fall for the NASCAR race. He came over to my house the next day and I gave him some hardware for a B Mono hull that Neil Sightler made for him. He is still into the hot-air ballons big time. His e-mail is " [email protected] " :) I haven't heard anything about any of the other Charlotte guys........... they had one of the best races on the East Coast for a lot of years.

Hope things are going well for you.

Dick

El Zorro said:
Mike Byer said:
It's real racin, we host the NC state series, and some talk of a district race mid year, mostly gas, but a few of us are still runing nitro riggers, big and small. Ken ran with us pretty regular until year before last.Mike B

90889[/snapback]

Bobby,

Ken came up to Richmond last Fall for the NASCAR race. He came over to my house the next day and I gave him some hardware for a B Mono hull that Neil Sightler made for him. He is still into the hot-air ballons big time. His e-mail is " [email protected] " :) I haven't heard anything about any of the other Charlotte guys........... they had one of the best races on the East Coast for a lot of years.

Hope things are going well for you.

Dick

90897[/snapback]

Dick! Great to hear from you! We still run on Neal's pond. I don't know if you saw Ken's boat or not, but it's a rail boat instead of his old liner and that boat's a different animal for some reason :rolleyes: . We ran the first one he did back in '92 and I still run it. I talk to Ken every once in a long while. Any chance we'll see you back at lake? Some of us guys from "boat races past" are getting out again. I really enjoyed the battles we had, you're a helluva driver!

-Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Yea, we had some pretty good races with the Monos, didn't we? I had to take a break from the little boats for a while...........for a lot of different reasons. Started racing a "C" Stock Outboard hydroplane last year and will run 3 or 4 races this year. You get a bigger "rush" when you are actually riding in one of these things at 68 MPH!!! I am retired from my job, finally, and have some time to play. A year or two of this and I'll look at the little boats again..........too many good people and friends there NOT to go back and play with them again. What's going on with the Summerville race? Hate to see that one go away..........

Dick

El Zorro said:
What's going on with the Summerville race? Hate to see that one go away..........
                Dick

91170[/snapback]

Good question Mr. Tyndall.......

:blink:

~James

El Zorro said:
Hi Bobby,  Yea, we had some pretty good races with the Monos, didn't we? I had to take a break from the little boats for a while...........for a lot of different reasons. Started racing a "C" Stock Outboard hydroplane last year and will run 3 or 4 races this year. You get a bigger "rush" when you are actually riding in one of these things at 68 MPH!!! I am retired from my job, finally, and have some time to play. A year or two of this and I'll look at the little boats again..........too many good people and friends there NOT to go back and play with them again. What's going on with the Summerville race? Hate to see that one go away..........

Dick

91170[/snapback]

Someone told me a while back you were doing that. Sounds like a lot of fun! You hung on to the RC boats a couple years after I quit, so I'll give 2 - 3 seasons before I expect you back at the races ;) . This is our first season back, so I should be good for 6-8 years again! The monos are still fun, rubbin's racin!

I have some things I need to work out with the ECMC, but nothing that should keep us from having the Columbus Day Regatta. As soon I'm satisfied we have it nailed down I'll get the flyer posted on the District Website . The Charleston Model Boaters are having a High Point race in June and the site they have has huge potential and it's at I95 near where 26 crosses it. You can see the boats running from the highway. I went down to watch the Grand Prix race they had this past weekend and I recommend attending their June race to anyone that enjoys the Regatta in October. This could grow into a big race.

Stay in touch Dick!

-Bobby

Bobby,

It's always good to hear that someone who's "in charge of the show" is plugging away and making things happen. I always told Randy, Karla and all of the folks down that way that if I had just ONE race to go to all year it would be Summerville. Don't let the District Director "political stuff" get in your way of doing things for the District..........I know you will do a great job!

Tell the gang down that way I said "Hi".

Dick

View attachment 4047

Back