Painting/treating against heat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K F Wheeler

Supporting Member
One item I've never seen is a paint or some other attempt at controlling heat generated by our engines and exhaust other than venting. And, of course water cooling being discussed.
I know at least about 22 years ago turbines in R/C airplanes started really becoming popular. One item I was really interested in was a coating. Spread like a paint to coat inside the plane where it was going to be exposed to high heat. Bought some ASAP!! Looks like a dark gray in color. Can't remember who the manufacture was. I know it was under a guy's name that was developing all kinds of nice goodies back then. Still have it somewhere despite all the residence hopping I've done in the mean time! Haven't had to try it yet.
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with some sort of coating like this? Or, maybe just coating (loosely) the area surrounding the engine and/or pipe with aluminum foil? May make things easier for some building boats where the engine has to be hidden. And, especially the exhaust! Most of us at one time or another are going to want to hide the exhaust.
Ken

I use cut up silicone baking sheets... the kind your wife uses on top of her baking sheet for making cookies. They're very temp resistant, thin/lightweight, and reinforced with a fiber. If you use the 3M aluminum heat tape to hold it in place it works very well.

Thermal management....we've been experimenting with keeping the heat generated where it should be. Heat equates to power.
Ceramic and thermal barrier coatings.
To get the good stuff, one must have a license to purchase from the industrial suppliers. Not real difficult, but then comes the proper equipment for application and cure.
If the heat is contained properly in the exhaust system the surrounding areas will no be as affected.

Must spend the time to properly clean and prep. I let solvents cure for at least 12 hours at 95 to 110** BUT it takes two climbs to complete exhaust gas temp to make ceramic flow. The first one is up to temp. And stop. Second one is contues until the prodect turns to glass.(best way I can explain it)

Latest posts

Back