Chamfering the edge of a combustion chamber

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,

Maybe that's why I developed a 315,000psi tensile strength connecting rod with .0003" total clearance in the bottom end roller assembly.

"How do you know the point of ignition with a glow plug ?"

I am not sure how the exact point of ignition would be determined without the use of flame kernel growth imaging that is done for spark ignition engines.

I am not sure how the exact point of ignition would be determined without the use of flame kernel growth imaging that is done for spark ignition engines.
How can one determine the best squish height and squish velocity without knowing the point of ignition. (with a glowplug)

How can one determine the best squish height and squish velocity without knowing the point of ignition. (with a glowplug)
I think it's called trial & error.

It's called ( SWAG)

There is some great info on kernel development using a high speed camera in a glow eng.

this along with pressure logging and graphing at precise crank angles.

Also the discussion of the affect of heat absorption and boundary layers in the cylinder.

All done at diffrent speeds and load conditions.

It is a very good read.

David

It's called ( SWAG)

Nothing wrong with a scientific wild ass guess if you take the time to make the pieces & test it.

It's called ( SWAG)
That was gonna be my response!!!!......... ;)

Ron,

Maybe that's why I developed a 315,000psi tensile strength connecting rod with .0003" total clearance in the bottom end roller assembly.

Now I know why your engines have a clicking sound like a diesel engine, except at 30,000+ rpm, and run fast as hell............ :eek:

Knowing you, somewhere along the line you have probably experimented with using flexible head bolts Jim!!!....... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What I cannot understand is that with a 7+ HP engine burning 80% nitro turning 30,000 RPM, with every part made to 50 millionths of an inch tollerance, based on every 2 stroke theory that has been written in the last 50 years, running hand made props, hand made pipes, hand made carbutetors, that the boat only ran 85MPH?????\]

Charles Perdue

What I cannot understand is that with a 7+ HP engine burning 80% nitro turning 30,000 RPM, with every part made to 50 millionths of an inch tollerance, based on every 2 stroke theory that has been written in the last 50 years, running hand made props, hand made pipes, hand made carbutetors, that the boat only ran 85MPH?????\]

Charles Perdue
Do you remember this post? It still applies!

Sorry to see you go, not really! I have NAMBA record sheets all the way back to 1985 & IMPBA sheets back to 1996. I don't see your name listed for any event what so ever. Maybe you ran some with some other organization. The last time I ran straight away in 1994 at a sanctioned NAMBA event, the official speed was 85.88. The boat was a 14 lb modified crapshooter with my engine & prop.

Jim Allen

Back