Carb Barrel Material - Delrin?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rappold

Supporting Member
For carburator barrels, has anyone used a plastic material like Delrin (Acetal) with good success? I have used brass but looking for other ideas for something lighter in weight.

Aluminum barrel in an aluminum housing eventually sticks.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

maybe charles could shed some light......the zoom i had from him had a composite barrel of a sort...... shoot him a pm...... it could be a closely gaurded secret,,im not sure,,, but knowing charles i dont think it would be ...... ;)

For carburator barrels, has anyone used a plastic material like Delrin (Acetal) with good success? I have used brass but looking for other ideas for something lighter in weight.

Aluminum barrel in an aluminum housing eventually sticks.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
we are testing the WK-33 on gas right now with a brass tube pressed over the stock plastic barrel that comes stock in the carb.

Rick Reisinger

Mike,

My barrels are aluminum bar turned down with a brass sleeve sweated over it. Works great.

Like Steve said, Delrin will swell and stick.

I've machined aluminum barrels and hard Teflon Ano'ed before and had great success. You have got to have a good ano shop that knows what they are doing or you will likely have parts that are too loose or too tight.

Try peek plastic.I run a drum made from peek plastic with no problems.It should work for a carb barrel.

Dave Roach

For a small carb, maybe machine the barrel out of brass?

For larger carbs, solid brass would maybe add too much weight, so the hard coat aluminum or brass sleeve methods would be best.

The hard coat would be expensive, unless you know a guy.

I wouldnt use any type of plastic due to the swelling with temp & aborbsion.

Back