Canard D hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is on my list to build as an outboard hydro, 21 or 46 version. Canards have always facinated me. Like Carl, I remember your Dad running that Circus Circus for many years in the south, especially the Spring Nats in Atlanta!!!....
default_wink.png

A canard if gas powered can only run sport hydro not with the riggers if nitro powered it has to run with riggers
Is this True? IMPBA and NAMBA? What if the sponsons are attached by booms?
It is in NAMBA as I read the rules. Gas outriggers must have two "forward sponsons" connected to the tub by booms, so simply putting booms on a canard in place of a wing will not work. Gas sport hydroplane will include both three-point hydros and canards. In nitro, canards cannot compete with sport hydros because the planing surfaces are in the rear half of the hull, they will run with riggers.

BTW, using booms on a canard negates one of the main design concepts that makes this hull type successful.

Ok, so NAMBA has no GAS "Hydro" class, just the sub-catagories of Sport hydro or Rigger.

"BTW, using booms on a canard negates one of the main design concepts that makes this hull type successful."

Thanks Jay, I'll put that in my notes!

A canard if gas powered can only run sport hydro not with the riggers if nitro powered it has to run with riggers
So if it is gas and has booms there is no class for it.

I guess we could get into the sticky situation of what constitutes the rear canard wing. Or is there minimum dimensions of this rear canard wing in the rules?

The one that Brian has would run on nitro it is 45 inches are you wanting a smaller boat for nitro

The one that Brian has would run on nitro it is 45 inches are you wanting a smaller boat for nitro
Gary, I still have the nitro canard you sent us about ten years ago. We started building a wood boat for a 45 engine about 6 years ago.

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

I might just have to build me another Canard for the up coming season...................................

Hi Alex,

have a look at the pics,ok is only the front sho ,i had one of your epoxy Python canards .i run it with an electric powered outbord 30 x700 mAh cells .May be we meet at Saarluis racing on the river near by . I remember it like yesterday as my electric very narrow Crapshooter (2 inch wide centerbody) doing a show run down the straight near the shore as a rescue row boat start out and my rigger hit the rowboat one big hole one side and an other big hole on the other side. Rigger sank ,all down in the bad ,black water. Rowboatdriver has luck as nothing happen to him and he row back to the shore in microseconds .

Here allso some inspiration pics of canards from Heiko Danz great designer Germany, Craig Breedlove speed is with him ,meet him 12 years ago in CA , and other.Heiko used as a basic the design of the Ed Fischer Circus Circus canard .

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Christian,

i'm pretty sure we met each other back in the 80' to 90' and i remember the Saarlois area very well and of course Werner Woitzik (Valerino) from Taufkirchen
default_smile.png

By the way thxs for the pics , if u got more please post those here in the thread.

The one pic i think its the nose of my canard from M.R. Boats ( Russel Scaroni and Michael Haag)........ am i right ?

Viele Gruesse nach Deutschland

Alex

Hi Alex,

what a world. yea ,i meet Werner last week ,he is still racing boats and is allway joking .Valerino was my start in the world of surface drive,driven boats and Werner was like a father for me . Where do you life in LA .I have familie in Ventura and visite them when we are on vacation in the states. Yes ,this is the nose ,i have a photo of the whole boat but it's classic made and not digital i will scan it .run it in Italy at a world championship event in the Po ebene very sucsesfull ,hydro III class electric. with the nose i build a canard with diverent nose parts i can change. with a friend we are experimenting front propriding hydros ,where the motor was plazed in the nose and the propeller short after the front shoe. need a small anti propwalk fin close to the prop . Best was that the boat did not flipp because if the nose rise to high prop gets with it out of the water and trust goes down. if right set up a very save and fast system we run also in hydro II class in Germany . i remember Michael Haag and Russel Scaroni the M.R. sign in the boat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back