Can spray foam removal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy Benedict

I recently bought a boat that was filled with what looks like spray foam from a can. Is there any way to remove this stuff without hurting the "fiberglass" boat? I have been cutting,prying,scraping and cussing trying to get this stuff out.

I recently bought a boat that was filled with what looks like spray foam from a can. Is there any way to remove this stuff without hurting the "fiberglass" boat? I have been cutting,prying,scraping and cussing trying to get this stuff out.

Hi- we were in the same boat (no pun intended)...researched it, tried acetone, MEK, all of

the strong stuff- nothing.

That expandable urethane foam from aerosol can is untouchable, chemically speaking.

We wound up using long reciprocating saw blades and a drywall keyhole saw, and finished

it up with 60-80 grit.

Whoever sprayed that stuff into the front portion of the sponsons of this catamaran didn't take

into account the expandable nature and it split the upper deck/hull seam.

It's just going to take you some time, elbow grease, patience, and tenacity.

Again, there's no way to solve that stuff once it's set up, so don't waste your time, money, and

health on harsh chemicals- they simply don't work.

You might try gas. I use gas to dissolve it out of the application tube so I can use it again. But it might loosen it up as well. Never tried it on dryed.

Crude but effective. Claw from pet shop to remove hair mats on dog. Rod from old plastic blinds. Just rake it out!!!!!!20190704_180521 (1).jpg stic set of window blinds. Just rake it out.:cool:

Physical labor as mentioned by others is the only way, DO NOT use chemicals. Any chemicals even remotely strong enough to soften the foam (that crap is darn near bulletproof) will ruin the hull itself.

Physical labor as mentioned by others is the only way, DO NOT use chemicals. Any chemicals even remotely strong enough to soften the foam (that crap is darn near bulletproof) will ruin the hull itself.

EXACTLY!... the mechanical effort isn't that bad if you use your mind... if you try it, you'll find the flexible, coarse tooth, long

SawzAll blades are the best, AND quickest... some coarse drywall screen and/or 60 grit will get it down to the fiberglass resin.

Thanks guys. I have about 1/2 of it out and going to finish it this weekend.

Ray, I like the "Claw"

I seem to remember probably from the listbot days that if you took an old flex shaft frayed the end so some of the strands were sticking out, chucked it up in a drill it was a pretty effective tool at digging the foam out.

Latest posts

Back