CABOVER - Price Drop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewg

The Cabover 24 has claimed its second consecutive Nationals title and set a Limited Sport Hydro Record at the 2004 Namba Nationals.

LSH saw Dick Crowe set a new race record of 2:11:85 for the 10 lap trip.

In O Sport Hydro Dick Crowe and Dennis Whitt made a 1-2 sweep using their Cabovers.

To celebrate this we are offering the Cabover with transom and fin doublers installed at reduced prices.

Dick tells me his Cabover is in the top two handling hydros he has raced - period. "Only my one-off Crumbgrabber rigger matches the handling of the Cabover."

Dicks 6 cell Crumbgrabber set the NAMBA and world record of a mere 56.19 seconds for a 5 lap race.

The O Sport Hydro record adds to the Cabovers 2003 Nationals title in the LSH class.

For details of availability email me at: [email protected] or call on 61 2 4929 1850.

Andrewg said:
The Cabover 24 has claimed its second consecutive Nationals title and set a Limited Sport Hydro Record at the 2004 Namba Nationals.
LSH saw Dick Crowe set a new race record of 2:11:85 for the 10 lap trip.

In O Sport Hydro Dick Crowe and Dennis Whitt made a 1-2 sweep using their Cabovers.

To celebrate this we are offering the Cabover with transom and fin doublers installed at reduced prices.

Dick tells me his Cabover is in the top two handling hydros he has raced - period. "Only my one-off Crumbgrabber rigger matches the handling of the Cabover."

Dicks 6 cell Crumbgrabber set the NAMBA and world record of a mere 56.19 seconds for a 5 lap race.

The O Sport Hydro record adds to the Cabovers 2003 Nationals title in the LSH class.

For details of availability email me at: [email protected] or call on 61 2 4929 1850.

70725[/snapback]

Andrew,

no doubt, this boat is the real deal. I lapped just about every boat twice in LSH. The only boat that was in the same league was Dennis Whitts, running the same hull. In 16 years of racing I've never had anything that dominated like this boat.

I hope you have a lousy sale so that I can keep clubbing the baby seals.

Dick.

cabover24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was impressed by this hull as I was there to see the record run. Too bad Dick isnt very friendly to strangers it seems, I spoke to him at least 3 times and it was as if I wasnt even there. Not a very good promotion of the hobby there Dick! Maybe all those amps have fried your brain. Try being a bit more friendly next time it might help grow your hobby which I might add for a National event it was very small in numbers.

Last edited:
RaceCraftBearings said:
I was impressed by this hull as I was there to see the record run. Too bad Dick isnt very friendly to strangers it seems as I spoke to him at least 3 times and it was as if I wasnt even there. Not a very good promotion of the hobby there Dick! Maybe all those amps have fried your brain. Try being a bit more friendly next time it might help grow your hobby.
70793[/snapback]

Hey man, don`t take it personal. I`m sure it was just a case of tunnel vision on Dicks part. I have been to a couple races with Dick and experienced the same thing, both from him and another good friend Larry Larson. These guys will talk your ears off under normal conditions. I`m sure it was just a thing of the moment and nothing personal. I am guilty of the same thing myself. Tunnel vision that is.

Tim

Not taking anything personal Tim just making an observation! I spoke to him on 3 different occasions so if he had Tunnel Vision it sure lasts a long time (all day). I have raced Nitro for many years and I dont ever recall not speaking to someone who attemted a conversation with me.

Of course when I raced electric Cars way back when, most of those drivers had the same kind of demeanor. I guess it goes with the type of power you run.

Last edited:
give me a break... The man was at a national race running every class with only 7 mins between heats.. thats not much time to get your game face on for the next round.. I have talked to dick many of times face to face and he was alway more the willing to talk and spend time with me.. but, of course it wasn't during a national race.. Think you have sniffed to many nitro fumes or something if you think its because he run's electric and not because it was stress from having to check and recheck his boats.. did you try and talk to him at the end of the day when racing was done? Probably not because if you did he probably would of talked to you.. and trying to say its not a good way to promote the hobby... ya thats the ticket lets blame him.. or the liberals in congress.. that one always works too.

so if you want to come down from your horse Tonto I think you owe Dick an apology and when you do I will give you one.. You know your not helping promote the hobby with your attitude

Easy fellas!

There are other chat boards more suited to this kind of senseless bickering. Go over there if you want to take shots at each other. Over here we are a civilized bunch who respect each other.

If you want to talk to Dick, call him! I have spent hours on the phone learning from his trials and errors. He is a complete gentleman and treats everyone with respect. His phone number is no secret. Just ask him for it.

Nobody can say Dick has ever snubbed them intentionally. It just aint Dick’s way.

Lets get this topic back on track.

Good job on the Cabover design Andrew.

It always feels good to have one of your designs in top spot. Ask me how I know. ;)

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

RaceCraftBearings said:
Not taking anything personal Tim just making an observation! I spoke to him on 3 different occasions so if he had Tunnel Vision it sure lasts a long time (all day).
70804[/snapback]

Your observation is close but not exact. The tunnel vision lasted for four days, but no doubt Brook is right. We F/Eer`s as all serious racers look forward to and spend lots of time preparing for the event of the year. In this case it was the NATs. Dick is a very nice guy and loves the hobby, all aspects of it. This includes chatting with fellow boaters or ANYBODY interested in the hobby he love so much. Had you of caught him before or after the race I`m sure he would have been more than happy to talk with you. Shoot if he`ll talk to me he`ll talk to anybody. You really must think about what you have said and put yourself in his place. Do you know any history off Dick Crowe? Did you follow him leading up to the NATs? Have you ever ran as many classes as he did in one weekend?

I take no offense to anything you have said and only feel you were bummed by what happened to you. Your feelings were hurt, huh? Please, before you take shots at my friends at least ask them if their actions were intentional. I`ll bet he wouldn`t even have talked to Brian Vega at the times you approached him.

Hey Dick,

Will you be bringing your Cabover to the SAWs? I think I will or must own one of them even though I have nobody to race with. They sure are sweet.

your right Pete.. Sorry Andrew.. its just hard for me to watch someone take cheap shots at a man that has done so much to help the FE side of the hobby grow.. I have met alot of people in the hobby and none are as friendly as the boat guys..

the cabover is a great boat.. seen it run alot around my neck of the woods and its usally in front of the pack.. I have thought about getting one more then once..

again sorry andrew didn't mean to take anything away from you boat.

No problems guys. I have a question for you after the first comments.

I think Dick ran 24 classes. Frankly I have no idea how anyone does that. 24 races a day for 3 days saw Dick chalk up the most wins and the second most places. That takes concentration and he works hard with his pit, his family and his clients when he is away. I try not to speak to him a week before a race because he will be spending time with his family or making boats.

I have always found Dick to be one of the most accomodating guys around. Ron dont be suprised if he calls you. He is great guy to spend some time with.

I once saw an interview with Mick Doohan - who said when racing he used to get into what he called "the zone". He won a few world championships and the second most world champioship rounds ever doing that. (Apologies Dick) Doohan described himself as an "being arsehole" during those times. But when the racing was finsihed he was chat happy.

To be top of the pile that focus is what was required and the success it brought was why so many people wanted to talk to him. Maybe the lesson here is if we want to be as hot as Dick we need learn to concentrate like he can. I dont think he is alone.

As for the boat I figure I sell hulls with potential but it is you guys who run them in a tough race environment which makes them a success. More strength to you all!

Hey I have to ask - the shovel is the boat I like to drive most because it is quick, but, thru turns its almost as if I can feel the thing thru the radio it is so smooth and responsive. Other boats I just seem to steer and they go in more or less the right place. My question is - Is this how you find your good boats work??

Hey I also have a CEN mono - which makes me laugh because it handles like a pig, slides like a dog on tiles and is fast enough to be on the edge all the time.

Re: Cabover Shovel

Although I can attest to the cabovers preformance the fit and finish have little to be desired. The boat that Dennis ran was given to him by me, I gave it up simply because of the poor glass work. I'm not basing my comments off of one boat, I've seen several. I also think Dennis will tell you that the H&M Viper I run is every bit as fast as the cabover.

When I see one show up at my door that's worth my time to build it I may change my tune. Until that time though my opinion stands. BTW: I've beat the cabover twice to date with a Viper and have never been lapped by one.

Sorry Dick, not to take anything away from your record with the hull but I feel I had to speak up.

Paul.

Wow some of you really get your shorts in a wad dont you. I apoligize for hurting your feelings I simply made an observation and as I said all day plus after the event still wouldnt speak. No it didnt hurt my feelings it simply made me think wow what an arsehole.

You dont have to agree with what I think and you really cant change the way I think about who he is so quit crying about it. As they say first impressions are the most important so dont screw em up!

Post about the hull cause it really is sweet running!

Last edited:
Ragged Edge said:
Hey Dick,
Will you be bringing your Cabover to the SAWs? I think I will or must own one of them even though I have nobody to race with. They sure are sweet.

70813[/snapback]

Tim, ol' buddy....
If you want a Cabover, you can have my fine example. The deck and bottom have been straightened and reinforced, and the hatch actually fits following the deck rework. Just bring an extra box to ship it home from LA!

Oh yeah, you'll have to add a little to the length to make it 24 inches.

As Dick says, they sure handle nice!

Ron,

Are you the Ron Byrd AKA Hornet? If so I missed out too as I would have loved to talk to you about your boat. I had heard that you would be there and was looking forward to meeting you.

I am so sorry that I blew you off. I wish I can even remember who you are. I doubt I could pick you out of a crowd of 2. I've got all kinds of excuses like an average 3 hours sleep pernight. Running every class I have a boat for and trying to keep up with the fast pace of the day. I think we were wrapped up by 3:00 each day. But the bottom line is if you came up to me and I couldn't even say hi or answer some of your question I failed big time. Please accept my heartfelt appologies and feel free to call me on my dime any time (e-mail me for phone [email protected]). I would be more then happy to talk to you.

When I got into this sport back in 1988 there were a couple of individuals Jim Auguston, Jerry Dunlap and Dave Frank who put me on a fast track with information and I've never forgot that. I've always tried to be the same and have no secrets. Since I've been racing boats you are the first to ever express this sentiment. If I see a dad and his kids I alwasy try and take the time to talk to them and let the kids hold a boat or whatever.

I guess in all the years It was bound to happen once, but I'll consider this my biggest failure at the nats this year. I hope I can make it up to you some day.

Happy boating,

Dick

Paul Pachmayer said:
Re: Cabover Shovel
Although I can attest to the cabovers preformance the fit and finish have little to be desired.  The boat that Dennis ran was given to him by me, I gave it up simply because of the poor glass work.  I'm not basing my comments off of one boat, I've seen several.  I also think Dennis will tell you that the H&M Viper I run is every bit as fast as the cabover. 

When I see one show up at my door that's worth my time to build it I may change my tune.  Until that time though my opinion stands.  BTW: I've beat the cabover twice to date with a Viper and have never been lapped by one.

Sorry Dick, not to take anything away from your record with the hull but I feel I had to speak up.

Paul.

70824[/snapback]

Hey Paul,

You did a great job setting that boat up. Dennis's boat ran great. Don't worry about stepping on my toes, I'm wearing steel toed shoes these days. I'm sure we'd have a great race, we can settle it all at MI6 the way it should be! Asthetics have never been a place I hang my hat. I wish it was but I'm all thumbs when it comes to appearance. I learned long ago I better go fast on the water cause I'm not going to get any hardware in concourse!!!

Can't wait to see you at the SAW's. Should be a blast!

Dick

Wow Pat, thanks for the offer. I`ll make sure to have room. Dicks ran so nice at last years NATs, even in the rough water.

Boy oh boy, two more weeks. Looking forward to seeing you guys again and meeting those of you I haven`t.

Hello Dick, First let me say I accept your apology and please let me extend an apology to you for my appearent misconception! I really didnt know who you were until after the event was over. I spoke to you right after you ran that impressive little Bardahl hull (the subject of this thread) I simply stated "very nice run" and I spoke to you again later when you came over to the officials tent where your pit man was telling you why he had stated "something sure smells good" speaking of his mother that had came up behind him while you were on your record run and then again after you had pitted for him in what was the last heat of the event. It was good to see that was a shallow lake and they found his hull!

Again sorry for my misconception!

As far as "Ron Byrd" being connected to Hornet Hydros this has been a misconception that I can't figure out how it started and seems to be out there still after all these years. I do know Byrd Harrison the designer and builder of Hornet Hydro's and while we share the same name of sorts it is his first name and my last name. I did talk with Byrd way back when he started the development of the Hornet as he had asked me to do some R&D with it and I agreed to do so but he never followed up on the plan.

I share your thoughts on the Father/Son thing, if they stop by to watch while I am running boats I answer all the questions they have and I have gone as far as to let a few kids drive my 20 Mono on a few occasions (of couse I am right there to correct any bad move but I try and make them feel as if they have control providing nothing goes awry.

It all boils down to this:

I love RC Boating and while I am partial to Nitro it is my belief that we are all boaters (FE, Gas and Nitro) and we should all be in this together. If we were all running together at the same events and in the same clubs I honestly feel we would be stronger and better for it. Maybe some day there will only be one sanction body as I feel this would also make us stronger.

Hope we meet again and I am sure it would be different if we were to!

crowebar said:
Ron,
Are you the Ron Byrd AKA Hornet? If so I missed out too as I would have loved to talk to you about your boat. I had heard that you would be there and was looking forward to meeting you.

I am so sorry that I blew you off. I wish I can even remember who you are. I doubt I could pick you out of a crowd of 2. I've got all kinds of excuses like an average 3 hours sleep pernight. Running every class I have a boat for and trying to keep up with the fast pace of the day. I think we were wrapped up by 3:00 each day. But the bottom line is if you came up to me and I couldn't even say hi or answer some of your question I failed big time. Please accept my heartfelt appologies and feel free to call me on my dime any time (e-mail me for phone [email protected]). I would be more then happy to talk to you.

When I got into this sport back in 1988 there were a couple of individuals Jim Auguston, Jerry Dunlap and Dave Frank who put me on a fast track with information and I've never forgot that. I've always tried to be the same and have no secrets. Since I've been racing boats you are the first to ever express this sentiment. If I see a dad and his kids I alwasy try and take the time to talk to them and let the kids hold a boat or whatever.

I guess in all the years It was bound to happen once, but I'll consider this my biggest failure at the nats this year. I hope I can make it up to you some day.

Happy boating,

Dick

70855[/snapback]

Last edited:
Ragged Edge said:
Wow Pat, thanks for the offer. I`ll make sure to have room. Dicks ran so nice at last years NATs, even in the rough water.
70862[/snapback]

Just so there's no surprises, Tim, she's not a virgin. A little glass patch is needed at the back.... The syntactic foam transoms can't handle other boats that are parked in the front straight on starts (or old farts whose reactions aren't quick enough to avoid the other boat). :rolleyes: Nothing major, just pulled the rudder mount screws through.

Back